TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGB

NHL Thread

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5405512

Isles dressing room severely damaged by flooding

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP) - The New York Islanders dressing room sustained severe damage when a sewage pipe burst at Nassau Coliseum.

Calling it "devastating" the Islanders said that the team's workout room was almost completely destroyed by flooding Saturday night as the arena hosted an ice show.

The Islanders just started a five-game road trip and won't return to the 34-year-old Coliseum until March 21, when they are scheduled to play the Montreal Canadiens. There is little chance that repairs will be completed before then, the team said.

Water started flooding the hallway where the Islanders and visiting team locker rooms are located soon after the skating show began. The ceiling in the workout room caved in, with debris and sewage crashing on top of treadmills, stationary bicycles, and other training equipment.

The flooding then spread into the Islanders' dressing room. Workers wearing masks, boots and gloves spent three hours cleaning up the mess.

"We could not believe it," an unidentified arena employee said. "We've had plenty of problems over the last few years, but it's usually stuff you can patch up. Not this. The flooding was out of control. When they finally got the Islanders' locker room door open, you wouldn't believe what it looked like in there."

An early estimate Sunday put repair costs at more than $1 million. It is the second time broken pipes have caused major damage to the dressing room in less than a year. The first occurred in August. Before this season, the team made significant improvements to the Islanders dressing room but those were wiped out.

Islanders owner Charles Wang wants a new arena and has received support from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. Wang announced earlier this year that he is looking into an option to build an arena in Suffolk County if Nassau County doesn't choose his bid on the Coliseum property.

"The fans deserve better in terms of experience," Bettman said at a January Islanders game. "If there was no team here and somebody came to us and said, 'We'd like to bring a team to Nassau Coliseum,' our answer would be, 'Are you kidding?"'

Talk about a shitty arena.

Rucinsky's injured his knee again and I'm guessing hes done for the season.

edit: FECKING WEEKES WERE DOMINATING CAROLINA AND HE CAN'T FUCKING STOP A SHOT.

Anyone not getting the feed on Sportsnet Ontario? I just tuned in to catch the Sens/Bolts game and I'm getting nothing but blank screen.

Usually when a game is blacked out, I get a message to that effect, but not this time, so I don't think it's that?

Oh, and why the hell is Tampa starting Grahame after Burke's performance last night?

Please never play Weekes again Renney please! He is the anti- Henrik. He can't stop point shots, he has terrible positioning and he cannot fecking stop the puck.

Please just let them make the playoffs. please.

edit: STRAKA CHRIST YOU SUCK. TWO MISSED BREAKAWAYS.

I'm not digging this Ozsilinch trade at all. I haven't seen him do anything offensivley Poti can't, and atleast Poti is a capable defender right now.

Atleast the Rangers looked a lot better offensivley. And Jagr had his best game since after the olympic break. I think we definitley win this game with Henrik in net. The difference between the two is so visual. Henrik has great technique, moves from side to side so fast and is always in position. Weekes just totally blows.

The pathetic thing is that if we went just like .500 during this strech we'd be running away with the division. The Devils and Flyers both look like crap. Flyers shut out Pitts and Washington? 6-0 loss to the Isles by the Devils!?

And thirdly, what the hell is it with us running into the hot goalie. Gerber with ANOTHER 41 saves against us, the puck won't go in!

Everyone's teasing me. Ottawa comes back and beats Tampa and the Leafs come back and beat Boston. They're, what, 6 back now? At this rate they'll miss out by 1 or 2 and torture me the rest of the season.

Boynton stays and MOC ends up dead.

Edited for post Tuesday accuracy.

The Leafs looked absolutely lost for the first 30 minutes of this game, but hung in there. Then the flood gates opened with Boynton's 14 minutes worth of penalties. Office Glen (can't think of your real name, but you're from Brockville), it's certainly not far fetched to see the Leafs around. I just can't accept that Don Waddell, hot or not, is a better GM than Gainey. Tampa will not make the playoffs, I'm sorry. And while the idea of New Jersey not making the playoffs may seem surprising, they certainly didnt look like a playoff team tonight, and only have a five point buffer zone on ninth place Atlanta.

Boynton stays and MOC ends up dead.

Edited for post Tuesday accuracy.

The Leafs looked absolutely lost for the first 30 minutes of this game, but hung in there. Then the flood gates opened with Boynton's 14 minutes worth of penalties. Office Glen (can't think of your real name, but you're from Brockville), it's certainly not far fetched to see the Leafs around. I just can't accept that Don Waddell, hot or not, is a better GM than Gainey. Tampa will not make the playoffs, I'm sorry. And while the idea of New Jersey not making the playoffs may seem surprising, they certainly didnt look like a playoff team tonight, and only have a five point buffer zone on ninth place Atlanta.

So let the only guy that seems to give a fuck that the Bruins are playing like absolute fucking dogshit leave? Pull your head out of your ass. I'd take Boynton on my team next year over Leetch, Gill and Tanabe without a single hesitation. Boynton's a passionate player and gets in his own way sometimes, which can admittedly be a drawback, but to compare letting him leave as a UFA or trading away the future of the franchise is just idiotic and not funny in the least.

Sean Avery's getting suspended for about 5 games. Even if someone elbows the team's best player who has an eye problem, you can't come off the bench to try to fight them. Talk about a shitty game.

I went to the Sens/Lightning game and was very impressed with Ottawa's win, given the fact that they were playing at a 7-on-5 disadvantage all night. The referees were absolutely atrocious, and I'm just surprised that nobody started throwing garbage onto the ice, because it was just that bad.

So let the only guy that seems to give a fuck that the Bruins are playing like absolute fucking dogshit leave? Pull your head out of your ass. I'd take Boynton on my team next year over Leetch, Gill and Tanabe without a single hesitation. Boynton's a passionate player and gets in his own way sometimes, which can admittedly be a drawback, but to compare letting him leave as a UFA or trading away the future of the franchise is just idiotic and not funny in the least.

CG, I have to agree with max on this ... yeah, Boynton's penalties hurt them last night, but our pal Hal spends more time in the box (at more crucial, costly times) than Boynton does. Boynton's passion & energy helps the B's a lot more frequently than it hurts them. And at least he gives a shit.

Boynton should be the next captain of the B's. Period. Bergeron is too young, Gill is too inept, and other than those two, there's no one that makes sense to wear the C next year. (I'd have said Axelsson, but I don't think he'll be wearing the spoked B at all ... and I also think that it's unlikely that Sinden would allow a European to be the captain).

CG, I have to agree with max on this ... yeah, Boynton's penalties hurt them last night, but our pal Hal spends more time in the box (at more crucial, costly times) than Boynton does. Boynton's passion & energy helps the B's a lot more frequently than it hurts them. And at least he gives a shit.

Boynton should be the next captain of the B's. Period. Bergeron is too young, Gill is too inept, and other than those two, there's no one that makes sense to wear the C next year. (I'd have said Axelsson, but I don't think he'll be wearing the spoked B at all ... and I also think that it's unlikely that Sinden would allow a European to be the captain).

In retrospect, maybe I did overstep the line, and some of your points were valid, but tell me you didn't curse like a sailor when the Leafs scored two pp goals within 40 seconds last night? Furthermore, I think it's absolutely ridiculous for you to tell me to pull my head from my ass with the frequency of posts Czech and Leena contribute to this thread.

Every team has one. Ours are Dempsey, Roenick and Joe Corvo, not because Corvo sucks, but because he can't play defense to save his life. Fan favorites are probably Avery, Laperriere even though he's gone, and Dustin Brown.

Laperriere is awesome, and I always have him on my team for any hockey video game.

Personally my scapegoats for Montreal is Boullion, and Riberio. I can not hate Rivet at all.

When the Rangers are winning, everybody is amazing. But when their losing, Hossa, Ortemyer, Moore, and Betts all need to be benched. I agree with Hossa, I don't care how much potential he has, I'd rather see Hollweg out there hitting people and bringing energy.