TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Lesnar vs. Akebono to headline Sumo Hall

Lesnar vs. Akebono official! by Stuart - 07 Mar 2006

The big main event of Brock Lesnar vs. Akebono for the IWGP Heavyweight Title has been made official! Lesnar's V2 defense will come against the sumo legend at Sumo Hall and should be a great spectacle.

NJPW, 3/19/06 (WPW/NJ+IWTV Internet)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. Togi Makabe vs. Toru Yano

2. Elimination Match: Jushin Thunder Liger, Black Tiger, Jado & Gedo vs. Kintaro Kanemura, Tetsuhiro Kuroda, BADBOY Hido & GENTARO

3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: El Samurai & Ryusuke Taguchi © vs. Koji Kanemoto & Wataru Inoue

4. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata BIG MOUTH LOUD

5. IWGP Tag Team Title: Masahiro Chono & Hiroyoshi Tenzan © vs. Yuji Nagata & Naofumi Yamamoto

6. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Brock Lesnar © vs. Akebono

From SSS.

Guest Coffey
Can Lesnar pull off the biggest F5 ever?

*grits teeth* I dunno. Lesnar is strong but he ain't no Goldberg. Maybe I'm thinking Akebono is bigger than he really is but it seems doubtful. TBS wasn't as big, I know that.

Brock/Akebono... HHH/Cena...Brock/Akebono....HHH/Cena...

I quit wrestling.

Suddenly Brown/Christian looks absolutely awesome.

Remember they weighed Show and Akebono, he's only a few pounds heavier. Can't speak for his talent though.

It's most likely their biggest drawing match at this point, and they're not running the Tokyo Dome anymore. So it's not like it's some stupid booking decision. Match quality will obviously be the shits. Akebono is Akebono and Lesnar has been brutal in his matches since the comeback.

Guest Coffey
Remember they weighed Show and Akebono, he's only a few pounds heavier.

I just assumed it was kayfabed.

It'll be a spectacle match, sort of like Hogan/Andre. The crowd will be hot for even the simplest of things that they do, but I am thinking from a flow and execution standpoint, this match will be pretty bad.

Remember they weighed Show and Akebono, he's only a few pounds heavier.

I just assumed it was kayfabed.

I think they were too lazy to kayfabe anything for that

Lesnar supposedly had some wrist problems and couldn't do the F5. There was also word going around that the DDT wasn't the planned finish, and that the match ended early due to Akebono gassing out.

I'm almost certain that Lesnar could in fact hoist Akebono up and F-5 him, only a matter of Akebono allowing him to do so. It's like Andre the Giant, many people were capable of slamming him, but only when he allowed it to be done.

I'm not trying to flame, but Jesus Christ, Chono & Tenzan sucked in '98 in the mainstream, even to an eye such as mine that was giving them consideration due to being booked in matches that were outside their usual domain. Why the fuck, 8 years later, are they holding title belts?

I'm posting, right now, to respond to all the Chono marks that post the silly "Chono Is Rule!" and misc. pics of Chono "kicking ass".

Convince me why Chono isn't as shitty as he was on 1992 WCW PPVs (against Luger, against Rude, against Muta) and on various 1997 Nitros and PPVs.

I will say this, I *really* thought Chono was cool back in '91 against the Steiners in a Clash tag match, and in another a bout in Japan for the IWGP Tag straps.

Ironically, back then, I was a huge Sasaki mark, who also turned out to be pure shit.

Chono was a solid worker back in the day, who had a couple truly great matches and a bunch of good-verygood matches. I wouldn't call him "very good", but he wasn't mediocre either. I'm talking about quality in-ring wrestling and nothing else, so maybe that isn't your bag. At this point, much like Ric Flair, he's detoriated physically, but he still kind of knows how to get the crowd going. He's obviously not as physically horrid as Flair, but you get the point. He's also still fairly over and Tenzan is still an upper-card guy despite being booked shittily for years. Tenzan is a guy that shines in big matches, while being fairly inconsistent the rest of the time. Put him in an important match and he'll peform. Put him in some mid-tour 6 man and he'll probably be invisible. He never really came into his own until 2001 or so, anything before then and he wasn't very good at all.

Guest wildpegasus
I'm not trying to flame, but Jesus Christ, Chono & Tenzan sucked in '98 in the mainstream, even to an eye such as mine that was giving them consideration due to being booked in matches that were outside their usual domain. Why the fuck, 8 years later, are they holding title belts?

I'm posting, right now, to respond to all the Chono marks that post the silly "Chono Is Rule!" and misc. pics of Chono "kicking ass".

Convince me why Chono isn't as shitty as he was on 1992 WCW PPVs (against Luger, against Rude, against Muta) and on various 1997 Nitros and PPVs.

I will say this, I *really* thought Chono was cool back in '91 against the Steiners in a Clash tag match, and in another a bout in Japan for the IWGP Tag straps.

Ironically, back then, I was a huge Sasaki mark, who also turned out to be pure shit.

Chono was involved in a lot of great stuff when he was younger. Watch the Chono vs Rude match at the end of the NWA tourney and you'll see a terrific match. He's also had some barnburners with Muto in those days as well.

But a thing to think about with the Muta match match in WCW. Supposidly Chono and Muta were told not to go out there and steal the show because Bill Watts was worried about them showing up everyone else on the roster.

I take offense to the Sasaki slam, due to him being one of my favorites. Ever since he free'd himself from NJPW and Choshu, he's been on firah. Plus, he practically adopted Nakajima, who was Choshu's student until Choshu abandoned him. He even includes him in all their family photos and stuff, thats a real man :(

That said...I've never liked Chono. He's got charisma, but thats pretty much the extent to his abilities in my eyes. Chono's one of those guys that even if you don't understand a damn thing he's saying, you're still entertained by him. He just...blows in the ring for the most part.

That said...I've never liked Chono. He's got charisma, but thats pretty much the extent to his abilities in my eyes. Chono's one of those guys that even if you don't understand a damn thing he's saying, you're still entertained by him. He just...blows in the ring for the most part.

Japanese John Cena? :P

Guest CWMwasmurdered

Akebono is much better in the Tag matches I've seen him in.

Guest Happy Go Nowhere

Eh, I don't see the point of a rematch, the first one accomplished little and Lesner flat out won. The match was pretty much about Lesenr hitting him with the F5, it was the only reason I could see for ever having that match and we didn't get it.

There's really no call for a rematch but...eh, whatever.