TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

McMahon has NOTHIN on Sleazy D

Here are the salaries for UFC 58 courtesy of mmaweekly.com (via DVDVR) :

"Georges St.Pierre not only won his fight against BJ Penn, but came home as the top dog in MMA Salaries according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Here is the latest breakdown of UFC 58 USA vs Canada from Las Vegas, Nevada...

Tom Murphy - $5,000 to show $5,000 to win. Total $10,000

Icho Laurenas - $3,000

Josh Lambert - $2,000 to show $2,000 to win. Total $4,000

Rob McDonald - $5,000

Sam Stout - $2,000 to show $2,000 to win. Total $4,000

Spencer Fisher - $8,000

Mark Hominick - $2,000 to show $2,000 to win. Total $4,000

Yves Edwards - $8,000

Nathan Marquart - $15,000 to show $15,000 to win. Total $30,000

Joe Doerkson - $5,000

George St Pierre - $24,000 to show $24,000 to win. $48,000

B.J. Penn - $25,000

Mike Swick - $5,000 to show $5,000 to win. $10,000

Seve Vigneault - $2,000

Rich Franklin - $16,000 to show $16,000 to win. $34,000

David Loiseau - $9,000

TOTAL PURSE $209,000

The UFC 57 card was three times the amount as this past UFC 58 card as UFC 57 paid out $666,000 for the total purse. Liddell and Couture combined for $500,000."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...=1718&zoneid=13

It's incredible how little Loiseau made, given that he fought in the main event. Plus, Franklin's purse doesn't add up right, so he made either 32 or 34 grand. GSP now is making more than Franklin does and Marquardt, despite winning only his second recent fight in the UFC is making close to that of Franklin.

It's kinda weird how the UFC is poised to explode and that all could be fucked up because of something as simple as not paying the fighters enough. I mean, I know guys like Stout and Hominick are low on the totem pole but after travel and expenses they probably came out of the show barely even.

As much as I loves me some GSP him making more then Franklin is completely retarded.

As much as I loves me some GSP him making more then Franklin is completely retarded.

Agreed, but aren't the WWs a hot commodity in Japan right now? If so, then it makes sense to give GSP and Penn $50K to fight, although as champ you'd think that Ace would get a bit more than $16K guaranteed.

In one way, Dana has a point when he says he pays the fighters what they are worth in terms of drawing money. Mark Hominick's worth in regards to how many people paid to see him (few) is probably around $2,000, but there is something inherently wrong in the guy who wins getting $4,000 when the guy who loses gets $8,000. There should be a bonus system in place based on performance and there should be a renegotiation clause in a fighters contract - if Zuffa has the right to cut someone if they lose, then the fighters should get some option when they win. Of course, what they should be doing is exactly what they are doing right now. Fighters are used to getting small paydays, so what Zuffa is offering them is actually higher on the payscale. As long as the fighters don't know any better, and as long as their managers are more focused on not pissing off Dana, there won't be any change soon. The best thing to happen for fighters in competition, which the UFC has been trying to prevent, but it's inevitable. Once investors see how much Zuffa is making off their shows, there will be more events and whatnot which means more demand for the fighters, which means the fighters can actually have leverage. The market will eventually correct the disparity, as it tends to do.

A few notes:

-Franklin is on a 9 fight contract with pay that steadily increases with every fight. Hence, he doubled, IIRC, what he made agaisnt Quarry, and is likely to jump into 6 figures by his next fight.

- The UFC has only rcently become a money maker for Zuffa. Up until last year, they conisistently lost money on the company, and are unlikely to increase the payscale drastically until the UFC's newfound popularity is proven to have legs.

- Marquardt is making decent bank early in his UFC tenure because unlike most MMA fighters, he's actually smart enough to get good management, unlike say, someone like Sean Sherk.

Guest Retro Rob

Wouldn't these guys also get a base salary, considering they are fighting exclusively for UFC?

I don't think so. This is something the IFL, which is a new fight league (with teams and all), is looking to incorporate. The fighters get paid on a regular basis to help cover training costs and what not. Most fighters don't make enough to fight full-time on their contracts alone, so they look for sponsorship to help cover it. This is why you had so many fighters thanking a long list of sponsors after a fight (which the UFC has put a stop to, yet hasn't compensated their fighters for the loss in sponsorship money - if there ever was a loss). To give you a look at how little sponsorship can cost, Death Valley Driver.com's MMA folder pooled together $500 to get the website stitched on to a fighter's shorts. This wasn't a high profile fighter, but it was one who many consider to be a top ranked fighter in his weight class. In contrast, Chuck Liddell makes shit-loads off his sponsorship deal with Xyience (who has probably been, next to the Fertittas/Zuffa and SEG, the biggest contributor to US MMA in the sports history), which I believe is the first million dollar sponsorship deal in MMA. It was estimated that Chuck made $2 mil all together in 2005, though I don't know how accurate that is.

Surely Rich would have a large deal with Xyience also, which while not as big as Chucks, would give him a pretty penny.

Sean Sherk switched from Monte Cox being his manager (or someone competent) to some guy who hardballed with the UFC. He had one fight left on his contract where he was scheduled to face Matt Hughes. His manager basically made some ridiculous demands, to the point where if he lost he probably wouldn't be asked back. Manager alienated Sean from really sticking around in the UFC by asking for too much money, and it's not a hard decision to cut a guy whose generally boring, doesn't draw and is a headache for you.

Guest Brian

Supposedly, Koscheck is making $200,000 including sponsorship, according to Puder.