TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Time to get a new car soon

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've decided I'm going to buy some super cheap used camel of an underpowered car, insure it minimally, and beat the everlasting shit out of it on my upcoming commute.

If you really want to know about what actual owners think about their cars go autos.msn.com or www.carsurvey.org. On MSN it will tell you everything you need to know about the car, all specs, history of things that can go wrong with the car and user reviews. Carsurvey has a good amount of user reviews as well.

Guest theohtanioftime

most of the advice here is good, definately stay away from KIA and Hyundai, go for a good used toyota or honda, i have a mitsubishi right now and it's been perfect. Another thing to look for is how close the dealership is to you, if there is a reputable dealership in your town that has the vehicle you want, you should check it out.

Guest wildpegasus
most of the advice here is good, definately stay away from KIA and Hyundai, go for a good used toyota or honda, i have a mitsubishi right now and it's been perfect. Another thing to look for is how close the dealership is to you, if there is a reputable dealership in your town that has the vehicle you want, you should check it out.

Have you heard bad things about KIA and Hyundai? I don't know what I'm going to do. My financial situation is so complicated and unpredictable right now.

Toyota 2007 Yaris Line

Im looking at the new 2007 Toyota Yaris' (?)..Im not especially fond of the $10k model (Liftback? and its ugly) but the Sedan for $12k is nice and they get 40mpg..

Wow. As an Echo driver, I'm feeling ripped-off. These are not only cheaper, but better looking.

Echos were great cars, but ugly as sin. (Probably the reason they never caught on.)

I really wanted a Pontiac Solstice ($20k roadster) but my common sense and wallet both slapped me upside the head and made me realize that wasn't exactly the car I should be looking at. Maybe if I win the lottery or something..

The most reliable car I ever owned was a 68 Cadillac Sedan Deville. I hit 4 deer in the motherfucker without a problem, drove it through a fence, a cornfield, and took it on a couple road trips. It got about 8 mpg, and would start no longer after the odometer rolled over past 400,000 miles; 115,000 of which were mine. Got it for $500.

400K? Holy shit.

Ford 0% financing for 72 months for almost everyone on 2006 models

Good news for me at least, as I haven't been able to sniff 0% with my credit score ( low 7xx) and from what I've heard the 0% deal is pretty much open to anyone who can be approved by Ford Motor Credit. Bad news is..its a fucking Ford.

Im looking at less than $150 for a 2006 model which is better than what I could do with a used car. I've heard GM will be doing the same but I dont know if the 0% will be as liberal as Ford is doing supposedly. Id much rather at least have a GM model..

Guest NYankees
I really wanted a Pontiac Solstice ($20k roadster) but my common sense and wallet both slapped me upside the head and made me realize that wasn't exactly the car I should be looking at. Maybe if I win the lottery or something..

You can finally maybe get some ass with that car.

Good news for me at least, as I haven't been able to sniff 0% with my credit score ( low 7xx) and from what I've heard the 0% deal is pretty much open to anyone who can be approved by Ford Motor Credit. Bad news is..its a fucking Ford.

Im looking at less than $150 for a 2006 model which is better than what I could do with a used car. I've heard GM will be doing the same but I dont know if the 0% will be as liberal as Ford is doing supposedly. Id much rather at least have a GM model..

GM's less expensive products are crap compared to a Focus or Fusion from Ford. Let's see a Cobalt be used as a successful rally car a la the Focus.

GM's less expensive products are crap compared to a Focus or Fusion from Ford. Let's see a Cobalt be used as a successful rally car a la the Focus.

Well if I was gonna be doing rally car racing..maybe Id care about that.

Oy, American consumers never understood the idea behind advertising non-NASCAR racing acumen...

The idea is that the base car itself is rigid, safe, handles well, durable, and spry. Due to the high quality of the Focus's engineering, it was entered into many different racing cups and has done extremely well for itself.

Oy, American consumers never understood the idea behind advertising non-NASCAR racing acumen...

The idea is that the base car itself is rigid, safe, handles well, durable, and spry. Due to the high quality of the Focus's engineering, it was entered into many different racing cups and has done extremely well for itself.

I think Id rather have a Cobalt than a Focus.

About 2 months ago I sold my 99 Jetta and started a lease on an '06 Accord Coupe. I love this thing. My parents helped with the Jetta but this is the first one I'm doing on my own and I couldn't be happier.

This should be second nature for most people but: if you live anywhere resembling a minor metropolitan area, don't trade your car in at the dealer. I worked with two dealers in northern Virginia while getting my Accord, and one offered me $2500 for the Jetta and the other $3000. I got a $20 deluxe car wash, put it on craigslist with a few pictures on a Saturday afternoon, and had sold it for $6500 by Monday night.

Like I posted one time before I've been having lots of car problems(had to push my car through an intersection). I put in over $2000 worth of repair over the last year and a half or so. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I found it would cost over $700 to repair the latest damage so with that/the car being old plus and with more repairs coming in the future I said enough is enough. It was time to give the car up.

That was a couple of months ago. Hopefully in a month's time I will be able to start financing a new car. I am looking at something cheap and good (probably a Kia) and now it's just a matter of rounding up some money. So if everything goes okay I'm going to be back on the road in a month or so. I can't wait because I really got used to driving as it's something I like to do. The gym waits for no man.

Too many calories aren't burned while sitting in a car, not to mention the damage to the air we breathe from the car's exhaust. You're better off getting a bicycle. A guaranteed workout while you get from point A to point B. Plus aren't you a little old to be 'driving'? Driving is for teenagers en route to a sock hop. Grow up already.

About 2 months ago I sold my 99 Jetta and started a lease on an '06 Accord Coupe. I love this thing. My parents helped with the Jetta but this is the first one I'm doing on my own and I couldn't be happier.

This should be second nature for most people but: if you live anywhere resembling a minor metropolitan area, don't trade your car in at the dealer. I worked with two dealers in northern Virginia while getting my Accord, and one offered me $2500 for the Jetta and the other $3000. I got a $20 deluxe car wash, put it on craigslist with a few pictures on a Saturday afternoon, and had sold it for $6500 by Monday night.

I've never heard of such lowballing on a trade-in. Even a base '99 Jetta is worth about $7-8,000.

EDIT: Now that I'm making some damn good, stable money, it took very little thought as to what car I wanted (since I had one before and had to sell it off):

GT2.jpg

It's in that color too. Hopefully by the end of this week my tush will be planted in that glorious machine.

I've never heard of such lowballing on a trade-in. Even a base '99 Jetta is worth about $7-8,000.

Yeah, I was surprised. I had the base, but I gauged mine as being worth around $7300. It needed about $700 of maintenance (VW A/C units have tendency to crap out frequently) so I let the guy have it for the lower cost rather than doing it for him. Worked out very nicely for me.

No, sadly. Maybe I can rock the establishment after I'm there for the rest of college.

135817_1_full.jpg

Here's the car I eventually got down at Ravenel Ford. It's a 45-minute drive from my house during rush hour, but I had to check this one out. Black ventilated leather, 460 watt sound system from the factory, and a pair of Flowmaster mufflers installed by the previous owner. Everything has to be worked like a real man's machine. The steering, shifting, ride, clutch, it all requires sweet involving effort. It sounds like Thor's hammer thanks to those mufflers too. Accelerating is an event, not a mere action.

It is wise to know about all cars, but only buy the ones you can love.