TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZGangsta

Vertigo Top 25

So IGN has a new '25 Best Vertigo Books' countdown up (link here). Here's the list, but you should check out the link, since they've got informative writeups on each of the titles. It's a mix of ongoing series, graphic novels, and miniseries. And remember, no Watchmen was not Vertigo.

#25 Black Orchid

#24 Animal Man

#23 Terminal City

#22 Human Target

#21 Sandman Mystery Theatre

#20 100 Bullets

#19 Heavy Liquid

#18 The Compleat Moonshadow

#17 Why I Hate Saturn

#16 It's A Bird

#14 The Books of Magic

#13 WE3

#12 Hellblazer

#11 Death: The High Cost of Living

#10 V for Vendetta

#9 The Fountain

#8 100%

#7 The Invisibles

#6 Y: The Last Man

#5 Transmetropolitan

#4 Fables

#3 Preacher

#2 Swamp Thing

#1 Sandman

So I've barely read anything on that list. Just Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, and some Hellblazer. So who's read stuff on that list and what would you reccomend? There's a lot of really critically acclaimed suff on there. I know I need to read Sandman but I'm waiting till I have the time and drive to read the 10 volume set.

I'm really surprised Hellblazer isn't higher, by far the longest running Vertigo book. I love Preacher, but I don't really think it should be higher than Transmet, though I've only read about half of Transmet.

We3 is great. Morrison/Quietley project about a dog, cat, and bunny that are cybernetically enhanced by the military to be killing machines. They escape, wackiness ensues. Some of Quitleys best art.

Y: The Last man is one of the most refreshing comics I've ever read.

I lost interest in "Fables" after the first arc.

My $0.02

I just read a few Vertigo titles and I'm not a 100% fan so:

#7 Black Orchid

#6 Swamp Thing

#5 V for Vendetta

#4 The Witching Hour (Jimenez/Loeb)

#3 The Invisibles

#2 100 Bullets

#1 Death: The High Cost of Living

Yeah, I hear great things about Death: The High Cost of Living but it's a Sandman spin-off so I'm going to wait untill I read Sandman (if I ever finally get started).

Sandman's pretty fucking good. It's a little overrated since it has SUCH a fanatical following. But it's damn good. Not a rousing read by any stretch of the imagination, though.

Really, Preacher is an incredibly fun read, but I thought that

Cass became an utter bastard too quickly. It was most fun when they were palling around.

That's a comic that didn't need any angst at all quickly.

As an aside, it's really weird to consider that Sandman and Hellblazer are considered part of DC continuity. Hell, it's even weird to consider Swamp Thing is part of DC continuity.

I know it would've sorta sucked, but I was sort of looking forward to seeing Constantine pull a cameo in Days of Vengeance. DC is wise, though to keep him separate, by and large.

Can anyone give a quicky rundown of their opinions of Invisibles and Y? Those are two titles I haven't checked out.

Really, Preacher is an incredibly fun read, but I thought that

Cass became an utter bastard too quickly. It was most fun when they were palling around.

That's a comic that didn't need any angst at all quickly.

Agreed. I was a little turned off by that story. Although it was nice to get his redemption in the end.

I loved Preacher, it was the only Vertigo comic I really got into. Bummed me out that they were talking like a movie was going to happen, and then they blew it off.

I know it would've sorta sucked, but I was sort of looking forward to seeing Constantine pull a cameo in Days of Vengeance. DC is wise, though to keep him separate, by and large.

Isn't he supposed to have a cameo in 52?

Can anyone give a quicky rundown of their opinions of Invisibles and Y? Those are two titles I haven't checked out.

I cannot give an opinion of Invisibles but I will take a stab at Y.

Right now Y is probably my favorite book right now. Do not bother with the monthly because the way the story is structured you will get no satisfaction. They are getting ready to release the 7th trade in the next couple of months.

Mild spoilers to follow.....

What makes the book so good is it does a good job of capturing the chaos of a world where all of the sudden every man dies (except for one) at the same time. The world does not get thrown into the stone ages but there are huge setbacks that have to be dealt with. Yorick (the last man) ends up on a "mission" with a goverenment agent and a doctor to try and travel across country to get to her lab and hopefully find out why this has happened.

Along the way they run into Amazons, towns where all the women used to be in prison, Israeli Secret Service and religious zealots just to name a few. He stays under a mask most of the time so not many people know what he is. Of course every now and then women find out. Some want to have sex, some want to kill him.

Yorick has a girlfriend in Australia. International travel is very difficult so he is struggling with trying to remain faithful and having all of these women throw themselves at him.

This is a really broad overview of the comic, I am by no means doing it justice. The first trade is $13.00 and well worth your money.