TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Bret Hart confirms he will not be at WrestleMania

I think everyone is happy. Shawn said he wouldn't go if Bret didn't want him to, so now he won't. How do you know he even really wants to go? He'd probably just as much enjoy the night off. I'm sure he can find time to see his old friends and congratulate them if he really wanted to.

It's like a graduation. I'd rather not attend a friend's (I would have been happy not attending my own, for that matter), as they're long and boring, but I'd go out of respect. Maybe Shawn is actually happy that he now has an excuse not to be there.

Edit: Basically, Shawn agreed and had no real problems with it, so it isn't selfish of Bret. If Shawn really wanted to go but Bret refused to allow him, that might be a little selfish.

That reminds me, I wonder if any of the roh guys skip the HOF to attend the ROH show that night? London, I believe skipped WM20's show for the show in NJ. I could see Spanky and London doing that again.

It's not like they can get de-pushed. I remember reading that last year, it wasn't mandatory for wrestlers to attend the HOF show.

It's also not mandatory to go on the Iraq/Afghanistan shows. But we all know what happens if you refuse.

Yeah, it's just fucking pro wrestling. God, it's not like he spent 14 years going up and down the road, spending more time in a car than with his family, working an insane schedule, punishing his body beyond that any of us can imagine, giving it 100% every night for the company, only to have at the end that company lie to you and fuck you over. I mean, jeez, it's not like any of that is real. Or involve real feelings. Or real people, either.

Don't give me that bullshit. This is a carny sport. People don't get into this because it's what they were born to do well, they get into it because they want to do it more than something more traditional in life; which is why schools tell their students to not drop their education, job, etc. If you can make a job doing this, as Bret did, then you were one of the lucky ones in the whole industry.

But at the end of the day, it's still a business and a fucking carny sport. Vince knows it, Shawn knows it, Flair and all of Bret's other political enemies secretly know it. The reason that Bret looks like an emo-baby in all of this is because if you're THAT closely connected to it and can't see it for what it really is, then you're robbing yourself blind.

As they say in Poker, if you look around the table and can't find the guy being taken advantage of, it's you.

PS: Since Rudo keeps saying that Vince is obsessed with Montreal and Bret wants his career to be so much more, he certainly never shows it. Bret is still obsessed with his Montreal Moment, just as much as Vince is, because of demands like the one he made which proves that, even in his own mind, he is wrapped tightly around it.

I don't think Shawn has "changed" due to Christianity or anything, but I do think he has evolved. He has a family and things are more important to him in life to give a shit about what Bret Hart thinks about him, hence why he doesn't pitch a fit over Bret's demands and withdraws himself from the show. Vince keeps up the 1997 callbacks, yes, but that's because Vince has always operated by taking something that worked once and running it into the ground. I do not know of any excuse for Bret except to say that he's still not over it as much as he thinks he is, and still waving it around like a flag.

I do not know of any excuse for Bret except to say that he's still not over it as much as he thinks he is, and still waving it around like a flag.

How about Vince not letting it go and using it as a tv angle on a regular basis?

Shawn, has nothing to get over. Shawn, was just being Shawn. He lied to a peer. That was another day at the office for Shawn. Of course, Shawn doesn't have to still be lingering from it, he has no guilt for anything. He still doesn't care about what he did because in his mind, he didn't do anything worth feeling guilty about. Which is why he always brings it up, just as Bret and Vince does.

Shawn hides behind this "changed christian" mask, yet he still uses Montreal as a crutch.

If you dedicated 14 years to a company and at the end of those 14 years you got a big fuck you, I don't care who you are, you would be pissed. And if a ton of shit happened after those years that you feel was because of that big fuck you, it would be hard to get over it.

Bret didn't even want Montreal to be on his DVD and Meltzer had to talk him into it. He talks about it because it's brought up when he's being interviewed.

The demand he made proves that he hates Shawn and he hated Shawn before Survivor Series.

Here's another example, You went to high school for 4 years and of course, grade school and elementry school as well.

You always did well and you never caused trouble, except for one kid who always, always picked on you, tried to steal your girl, mocked you constantly. Then at graduation, when you planned to leave that place for something different...that same kid steals your diploma and takes a shit on it.

Naturally, you will hate that kid forever. Fast-forward...10 years later that high school wants to apoligze for it and thank you for your efforts you gave that school program. You find out that kid is still there, probably as the PE teacher. It's a school-funded event, that kid you hate has the right to be there as an employee of the school.

Would you want that asshole there in the crowd looking back at you with that cocky grin again and have to worry that he would ruin that night, just like he ruined it for you 10 years ago?

No, you wouldn't. Shawn, is that kid who shit on Bret's diploma.

That would be a great way to explain all of this, except for the fact that the HoF ceremony is not just a show to thank Bret. It's not just all about him and only him. It's a show to honor the business, and eight other inductees as well.

That would be a great way to explain all of this, except for the fact that the HoF ceremony is not just a show to thank Bret. It's not just all about him and only him. It's a show to honor the business, and eight other inductees as well.

Yes, but it's Bret's moment. He doesn't want Shawn there for his moment. That moment, his 15 minutes on the stage. It's HIS. Not Eddie, Sherri, Perry or Atlas. Bret doesn't want to see the person who shit on his proverbial diploma sitting there in plain sight.

Bret was invited to be honored, Bret's request that Shawn not be in attendence isn't out of the question.

That goes back to the entire thing about how Bret's request should only be that HBK isn't in the crowd for his induction. While I still think that it's not professional, I'd understand it more. He could show up at the end, HBK can leave, and then he can give the speech and end the show.

Like someone already said though, HBK has said that he wouldn't be there if Bret wanted it that way, so all of this is really pointless.

REGINA, Sask. -- Saskatchewan received a much-needed dose of Honky love

this past weekend. Mr. Shake, Rattle and Roll himself, the Honky Tonk

Man was the guest of honor at two High Impact Wrestling indy shows in

Regina and Saskatoon.

In Regina, over 300 fans clapped, sang, jived and relived their

childhoods along with the self-proclaimed "Greatest Intercontinental

Champion of all time." (There would have been more of a crowd, but the

fire marshal was forced to turn many away.)

Prior to a tag team victory with his partner Big Daddy Kash over

Principal Richard Pound and "Taylormade" Todd Myers (Myers received the

customary guitar smash over the head), the HTM made some time to speak

with SLAM! Wrestling.

"I know those guys, that's the only accurate Canadian wrestling site

out there," said the Honky Tonk Man, born Wayne Farris. The ring

announcer for the evening, Bob Leonard, had just made the

introductions. Turns out the HTM was an avid reader of SLAM! Wrestling.

It was 7:00 p.m., one hour until show time.

Farris chatted for a few moments, explaining that he did about 80 shows

last year and traveled to six countries. He pipes up that "come hell or

high water" he is one of the few wrestlers who are actually dependable;

he guarantees he will show up if he is booked for a show.

While he is talking, it's easy to notice that unlike some other

wrestlers from that era, he still looks the same. His face has aged a

bit, but he's not a grossly overweight man trying to relive the days of

old. The only real major difference is that his hair in the back is

longer and he wears it in a ponytail.

And just like his audio blog postings on his web site

(www.thehonkytonkman.com), Farris is just as blunt and outspoken in

person.

It seems that no topic is off limits.

And there are few wrestlers that are spared from his fearless

critiquing.

That evening he has Wrestlemania, the Hall of Fame inductions and even

Bret Hart on his mind. (WARNING: Some of you Bret Hart die-hards might

want to skip the next little bit.) "Right now the issue I really have

is Bret Hart," he said unabashedly. "Bret going back like he did, but

saying, 'I'm not getting paid for this' yet he is traveling around the

world promoting the DVD for that company and he is getting paid to do

that."

He is not done. He also took issue with Bret Hart's Hall of Fame

induction.

"Why wouldn't he say, 'The only way I will come and do this Hall Fame,

the only way I want to be a part of this is if I get to induct my

brother, who died for this company, who died performing?'" he

questioned. "He didn't die in a hotel room like an Eddie Guerrero, he

didn't die of some circumstances we don't know about, he died

performing in the ring. I take issue with the fact that Eddie Guerrero

goes into the Hall of Fame, yet Bret wouldn't say, 'Why not my brother?

If you want me, why can't you take my brother?' If I'm wrong on that,

I'm wrong, but I'd like to hear what he has to say about that."

It has to be asked, will we ever see have the pleasure of seeing the

Honky Tonk Man in the Hall of Fame?

"Not at this point with the restrictions they put on being inducted,"

he answered matter of factly. "There's a 90-day no-compete clause,

there's restrictions they have that I'm not ready to give up. I'm not

ready to give up the rights to my name and my character that I worked

so hard to own."

Farris explains that he was the Honky Tonk Man across Canada and for

Stampede Wrestling way before he ever went to the WWE -- well it was

the WWF when he was there.

The WWE's ideas of legends and Hall of Famers have Farris questioning

the program's legitimacy.

"(William) 'Refrigerator' Perry, who was a football player and appeared

in one Wrestlemania, does that make him a WWE Hall of Famer?" he

vented. "I say, 'no.' The Hall of Fame in the WWE is simply a way to

sell tickets to fans and get more money out of them for the weekend

that they are there."

Despite his harsh words, Farris shockingly doesn't rule out a return to

the "fed." He says he would return if the situation was done the right

way and once the company was done with him he would want the ability to

continue to make a living with the character he created. He wouldn't

want them to tie him up where he couldn't do anything else, he says.

Farris just wants to keep wrestling, and to be remembered as the most

controversial man in professional wrestling.

"I'll keep doing this until the phone stops ringing," he promised.

NOTE: The Honky Tonk Man's Canadian odyssey continues with a show

tonight, Wednesday, March 29th for Top Rope Championship Wrestling in

Beausejour, Manitoba at the Brokenhead River Rec Center. It's a 7:30 pm

bell time, and Honky Tonk Man takes on TJ Bratt.

Guest JRE

Well, I'm not one to tell Bret, Shawn, or Vince how to act. My first gut reaction to the title of this thread was "eh...kinda immature," but I buy the argument for both sides of the issue.

Just one thing though- I would like to see Bret's "goodbye moment" on the actual Wrestlemania stage or in the ring. No run-in or anything. Just the music playing, Bret walking in, giving his sunglasses to a fan, getting the fan reaction, giving a 5 or 10 minute speech, shaking some hands in the audience, and walking straight out.

These HOF ceremonies and speeches are nice- but they in no way compare to what a moment like that would be. The HOF induction and speech does not feel like closure.

Here's another example, You went to high school for 4 years and of course, grade school and elementry school as well.

You always did well and you never caused trouble, except for one kid who always, always picked on you, tried to steal your girl, mocked you constantly. Then at graduation, when you planned to leave that place for something different...that same kid steals your diploma and takes a shit on it.

Naturally, you will hate that kid forever. Fast-forward...10 years later that high school wants to apoligze for it and thank you for your efforts you gave that school program. You find out that kid is still there, probably as the PE teacher. It's a school-funded event, that kid you hate has the right to be there as an employee of the school.

Would you want that asshole there in the crowd looking back at you with that cocky grin again and have to worry that he would ruin that night, just like he ruined it for you 10 years ago?

No, you wouldn't. Shawn, is that kid who shit on Bret's diploma.

I wouldn't care or still hate him because it was 10 years ago. (I ESPECIALLY wouldn't care if he had tried to apologize since then) I might even buy him a beer and laugh about it with him. What I certainly wouldn't do is make a fool of myself in front of everyone by announcing that I wouldn't show up if he attended, it doesn't matter how badly I don't want him there. But that's just me, you know, not being an emo-fag.

Well, I'm not one to tell Bret, Shawn, or Vince how to act. My first gut reaction to the title of this thread was "eh...kinda immature," but I buy the argument for both sides of the issue.

Just one thing though- I would like to see Bret's "goodbye moment" on the actual Wrestlemania stage or in the ring. No run-in or anything. Just the music playing, Bret walking in, giving his sunglasses to a fan, getting the fan reaction, giving a 5 or 10 minute speech, shaking some hands in the audience, and walking straight out.

These HOF ceremonies and speeches are nice- but they in no way compare to what a moment like that would be. The HOF induction and speech does not feel like closure.

But anyone who knows Vince knows that he would never allow that to happen. He'd want Orton or the Squad or Masters or Carlito or someone to go out there and try to use the moment to help Vince. Or he'd want Bret to sign a "legends" contract before he put him on Mania.

I wouldn't care or still hate him because it was 10 years ago. (I ESPECIALLY wouldn't care if he had tried to apologize since then) I might even buy him a beer and laugh about it with him. What I certainly wouldn't do is make a fool of myself in front of everyone by announcing that I wouldn't show up if he attended, it doesn't matter how badly I don't want him there. But that's just me, you know, not being an emo-fag.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy any kind of apology from Shawn Michaels. If history has shown anything it's that he's full of shit. Besides, if he really wanted to apologize to Bret why didn't he pick up a phone and do it personally?

Bret is still bitter about this situation and I doubt anyone is going to change his mind. Just because you claim you would feel differently to him does not make him wrong.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't buy any kind of apology from Shawn Michaels. If history has shown anything it's that he's full of shit. Besides, if he really wanted to apologize to Bret why didn't he pick up a phone and do it personally?

Perhaps Shawn wants to simultaneously clear some of the negative stigma attached to his name as well.

It can't be fun to see your name bashed on a constant basis over something you were forced by your boss to do 10 years earlier. Just because he's made his desire for reconciliation public doesn't make it any less sincere. The only reason you think it does is because of Shawn's history -- despite it being a character flaw he may very well have fixed.

Guest Brian

No, but at the same time that type of gesture would undoubtedly reach the exact same people who criticize him. If Shawn is really sincere, we'd hear about it. Everything he does for the camera, especially since to this day he's still playing both sides of the coin, comes off as duplicitous and two-faced.

If Shawn called, then this whole thing would be on Bret. Yet, I doubt Shawn would ever call Bret about it.

But how can anyone take Shawn seriously when he says he wants to make admends of this when every other week he goes out screaming how gets off to the idea of screwing bret in that match. He has known to do more shoot promos than worked promos. The only way he got heat for his match with Hogan was to shoot on bret Hart. The fucker wasn't in the match. The only way for him and Vince to get heat on their fued is to shoot on Bret Hart. How does anyone, let alone Bret, take anything Shawn say with anything else than a grain of salt.

Then again, I think all three are all grown ass men acting like god damn children.

If Shawn called, then this whole thing would be on Bret. Yet, I doubt Shawn would ever call Bret about it.

But how can anyone take Shawn seriously when he says he wants to make admends of this when every other week he goes out screaming how gets off to the idea of screwing bret in that match. He has known to do more shoot promos than worked promos. The only way he got heat for his match with Hogan was to shoot on bret Hart. The fucker wasn't in the match. The only way for him and Vince to get heat on their fued is to shoot on Bret Hart. How does anyone, let alone Bret, take anything Shawn say with anything else than a grain of salt.

Bret had already rejected Shawn's apology offering before that. How was he supposed to react as a heel to thousands of canadian fans screaming "YOU SCREWED BRET!!" at him?

Guest JoeJoe

Then again, I think all three are all grown ass men acting like god damn children.

Please rewatch that promo to see how Shawn relates and interwines both Hart and Hogan to make the thing work. "The same thing I despise about you (Hogan), is what I despise about Bret Hart. You..stood for some moral fibre...that in your real life.. did not exist. Yet you stood in judgemnet, of me."

When he bashes Bret, they're chanting for Bret. When he does Hogan theyre' chanting for Hogan. It was GENIUS.

No, but at the same time that type of gesture would undoubtedly reach the exact same people who criticize him. If Shawn is really sincere, we'd hear about it. Everything he does for the camera, especially since to this day he's still playing both sides of the coin, comes off as duplicitous and two-faced.

Exactly.

It's all very good for Shawn to go on TV and claim he's a changed man, and that he wants to extend an olive branch to Bret but you never actually hear of him actually doing any of this. If he did call Bret probably wouldn't talk to him but until he tries he doesn't know. Fact is Shawn doesn't want to know. He can talk about being a new man now he has Christ in his life but it just doesn't hold any water because he never actually shows he changed.

"The same thing I despise about you (Hogan), is what I despise about Bret Hart. You..stood for some moral fibre...that in your real life.. did not exist. Yet you stood in judgemnet, of me."

Speaking the truth, eliciting a negative reaction from the fans while they deep down know the heel is right, boy that Shawn Michaels sure has "lost it" hasn't he?

Bret should've went in the HoF after guys like Bruno and Savage. He's only going in now because he sold out again for more MONNNNNNEYYYYY for his DVD, and now can get a little more MONNNNNNNEYYYY for the HoF appearence fee and put WWE behind him once and for all, because he cares nothing about the fans that supported him all those years. So get get your fucking plaque and be gone from a great weekend. Go pop in a DVD of your shitty "greatest matches", including a slow, boring, directionless, botch-fest with Hakushi that your mark supporters wet themselves over.

Michaels was always the better mic worker and better worker. He was more explosive, could have DIFFERENT kind of matches with different guys, bumped better, and despite his own shitty backstage maneueverings, kept his character on-screen and his issues off-TV.

I'm just curious UTSU- what did Bret do at the DVD signing that make you think he was a dick?

And I don't believe Bret is getting anything for the HOF.

Exactly.

It's all very good for Shawn to go on TV and claim he's a changed man, and that he wants to extend an olive branch to Bret but you never actually hear of him actually doing any of this. If he did call Bret probably wouldn't talk to him but until he tries he doesn't know. Fact is Shawn doesn't want to know. He can talk about being a new man now he has Christ in his life but it just doesn't hold any water because he never actually shows he changed.

You are painting Michaels in a lose-lose situation. If he DID make a private phone call to Bret, we would never know about it. It would be between the two of them. Bret wouldn't comment on anything that would make Shawn look good since he obviously wants to continue to hate the man and have everyone share his opinion. The ONLY way we would find out about this phone call would be through Michaels.

And then guess what?

We'd be calling Shawn two-faced and saying the only reason he did this was just to show the public that he wanted to make the effort and that he wasn't sincere, yada yada, once more.

How in the hell is Shawn Michaels EVER supposed to look good in this scenario? Bret would never accept his apology at this point, so he would never admit that Shawn has done such a thing. And anything Shawn says is immediately ignored by a lot of you here. So how the hell does Shawn escape from this situation winning some of you back to his side? Is it even possible?