TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

Ross to Call Raw Matches at Mania

Wow, they really have a hard on for Coach, huh?

Affirative Action is a bitch.

Well they should hire more black announcers......and that problem would be solved...99% of the announcers are white...

Why the hell is everyone picking on Coach anyway.....oh yeah I forgot he's black....

Coach should be managing Shelton Benjamin.

Here's an idea. Let JR announce the HHH/Cena match and either the HBK/Vince or Edge/Foley match. Than give the undercard matches to Styles.

So once again Styles takes the fall and blame for the shitty 3-man concept of the Raw announce team.

Is there an explanation as to why Coach will be behind the mic that night? Are you fucking kidding me?

...And fuck Jim Ross for going along with this.

Is there an explanation as to why Coach will be behind the mic that night? Are you fucking kidding me?

Coach is there because Vince likes him. Doesn't matter that he's beyond terrible.

As for Jim Ross going along with it, do you really expect him, or anyone, to turn down the chance to call matches at a Wrestlemania?

Joey Styles has commented on this on WWE.com:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/stylestalks

Man that interview pissed me off.

You know I don't blame Jim Ross but it's quite sad how he's become this pathetic WWE lackey. They've constantly humilated him on TV, usually in his hometown, yet he comes on back for more. Not only that but he tries to "deprogramme" Styles into become a lead "storyteller" rather than an announcer.

It's sad to read sentences like:

I never understood why WWE worked so hard to not hire wrestling announcers and now I do.

When I sit at ringside it’s hard to not call every move.

I know that it's fake sport but can't they at least make the announcers slightly credible by having them call moves than constant shilling?

I’d actually like to — if they would let me — be the lead announcer on HEAT.

Hmmm . . . could they be relegating him to Heat after WM?

The lead announcer? Oh no, he'll have to take the kiddy chair he sits in calling Raws and learn from one of the best . . . Todd Grisham.

Guest Timmer
Joey Styles has been dealt a huge blow as he will not be calling the Raw matches for Wrestlemania even though he is the lead Raw announcer. The announcer taking Joey Styles place as the lead Raw announcer at Wrestlemania will be none other than Jim Ross. They were both informed of this news on Monday.

As late as two days ago, Jim Ross assumed his role during Wrestlemania weekend would be to host the Hall of Fame banquet. It was announced on Raw last night that Jerry "The King" Lawler will be hosting the Hall of Fame banquet.

source: Pro Wrestling Torch

Why?

I hate it when someone buys an apple and then gets all pissed off when it isn't an orange...

Oh yeah and I'll take Styles play by play calling over Ross storytelling any day of the week...

Personally, I still think Ross is one of the best announcer in the biz. To all the people who says he sucks so badly, well then, who's your definition of a GOOD announcer?

And I loved Styles too... in ECW. Pairing him with Lawler and especially the smarmy show-wrecking wish-he'd-get-throat-cancer disaster Coach in an awkward three-man team (in general three guys together just never works on commentary) completely fucked him from the beginning. Coach just NEVER SHUTS UP, keeps yammering on and on about bullshit, and then Lawler feels obligated to argue with whatever stupid thing he just said... and meanwhile Joey takes the half-second of spare time available to call an irish whip.

And I do agree with one thing in the interview: lead announcers shouldn't just call the moves nonstop. Because really, what's the point of that? The viewers can all see what moves the wrestlers are doing. This is television, not radio. The announcers are there to help enhance the match and put over the psychology and storyline, not just constantly describe what moves happened.

Announcers need to have credibility and my problem with JR is that he sounds like a used-car sales man. He simply shilled too much the same way and it all became interchangable and watered down and I could never believe a single bit of it. So his constant yelling at the end of shows doesn't so much make me want to see what he's hyping as much as it makes me roll my eyes. He went beyond being a cliche.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
So once again Styles takes the fall and blame for the shitty 3-man concept of the Raw announce team.

The idea is probably that you can survive a shitty heel commentator but not a shitty lead announcer.

Announcers need to have credibility and my problem with JR is that he sounds like a used-car sales man. He simply shilled too much the same way and it all became interchangable and watered down and I could never believe a single bit of it. So his constant yelling at the end of shows doesn't so much make me want to see what he's hyping as much as it makes me roll my eyes. He went beyond being a cliche.

I can understand that, but I have two arguments against it:

1. The WWE forces all of its announcers to do the shilling thing. No matter who they put in that spot, they make them talk that way, so that's not something you can blame on the individual.

2. I don't know about you, but I could usually tell when Ross was saying something because he had to, and when he was saying something because he really meant it. It was his tone of voice, his general level of emotional intensity. So I'd just ignore whatever he was saying during the one, and still pay attention during the other.

I do blame JR. I know he has to do it, but he does it badly. It's because he's been doing it for so long and I've heard the song too many times. He doesn't change, he continues doing the BAH GAWD AUSTIN BOOMER JEZEBELLE BOWLING SHOE THE GAME YADA, and it gets tiresome. I understand why he does it, but it doesn't stop me from not liking it and being annoyed by it, and it doesn't stop everything he says from lacking credibility.

I do blame JR. I know he has to do it, but he does it badly. It's because he's been doing it for so long and I've heard the song too many times. He doesn't change, he continues doing the BAH GAWD AUSTIN BOOMER JEZEBELLE BOWLING SHOE THE GAME YADA, and it gets tiresome. I understand why he does it, but it doesn't stop me from not liking it and being annoyed by it, and it doesn't stop everything he says from lacking credibility.

Well, how would you do it? Or anyone? How could any announcer turn the bullshit that the WWE forces onto them into something good? Joey Styles is IMHO as good an announcer as there ever has been, and he's already proven to be a fairly miserable failure at trying to do JR's old job.

And yeah, JR does overuse his cliches and catchphrases, and sometimes yells a bit more than he has to, but honestly those are the only two faults I find with his work.

And yeah, JR does overuse his cliches and catchphrases, and sometimes yells a bit more than he has to, but honestly those are the only two faults I find with his work.

Considering those two faults are the only two things Ross does I think it's a pretty big problem.

I am really gutted that Styles wont be calling mania, he does remind me of the good old days of ECW.

But my main beef with the whole situation, is that that made a big deal of "firing" JR, and now there gonna bring him back with no reason whatsover except that Vince doesnt like Joey's style.

And i really am joing the club, i do hate this company sometimes.

The overall problem, from the matches to the booking to the announcing, is that WWE has created an environment where it's very hard to excel. JR might not be so bad if he didn't have to put over the same old bullshit week after week while Lawler babbled about the latest Playboy issue in a voice like a castrated chipmunk. Styles might be better if he didn't have Coach and Lawler bickering with each other and everyone backstage screamiing that he sucks at his job.

The talent at WWE is expected to change to fit the mold of the company. Wouldn't it be nice if it were the other way around once in awhile?

As soon as you sign on to WWE, the first thing they tell you is that you're doing everything the wrong way. Makes you wonder why they hired you in the first place.

Smart coaches in real sports know that part of their job is to not cramp the talented players' styles.

Poor Joey. I would like to see him and jr together, but king would need to be heel for it to work. King as a face, just seems odd to me.

The King as a color commentator version of JR (sans the yelling, though) annoys me because of how face-biased he is now much like JR was.

I was glad that they removed Ross last year. I was tired of eharing him and he seemed tired as well. The change was welcomned by me. I also welcomed his return at SNME. He seemed more fresh and was doing a good job out there. He works well with Lawler and with Tazz as well. He wasnt RAW or SD but he was both. The announcer for co-brand events which I thought was a great idea. Tazz - JR - Lawler was good and I wish they would do the same for wrestlemania. To be honest mostly because I dont wanna hear anything from either The Coach or Michael "No not this way" Cole on WrestleMania. I dont mind Styles but I think he was alot better when it was just Lawler and Styles. With Coach in there as well he seemed to get lost.

The situation just irrirates me because Vince knew Joey Styles' Resume when he hired him. He knew his style of PBP. There are probably 100 other PBP guys in WWE developmental territories that can come in and mimic and immitate Jim Ross to their best ability, but noooooo Vince went and hired Joey Styles. Why? Why hire someone DIFFERENT and UNIQUE to North American Wrestling as far as PBP goes, if you didn't hire him BECAUSE OF THAT DIFFERENCE. This isn't some guy WWE has been grooming for 10 years, that finally got a chance and dropped the ball. Joey Styles is basically trying to be JOEY STYLES...wow heaven forbid.

I sort of feel Styles should just breach his contract, cut his losses now, before he ends up in Deep South Wrestling calling Hill Billy Jim III matches being told "Now this heere is how you tell a stuuuwwry Joe" of course I don't know Joey Styles personally, and/or his financial situation so maybe getting hassled by WWE management is worth the paycheck.