TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread

Anyone watching the Flames/Ducks game? Calgary scored two goals in the first :37 in the third to take a three goal lead.

Oh, and I just noticed that Detroit has officially clinched the President's Trophy. Hope it works out for them as well as it's worked out for most other winners recently.

Anyone watching the Flames/Ducks game? Calgary scored two goals in the first :37 in the third to take a three goal lead.

Oh, and I just noticed that Detroit has officially clinched the President's Trophy. Hope it works out for them as well as it's worked out for most other winners recently.

Yeah I watched that game. Mikka is a force to be reckoned with.

I'll be @ the Buffalo/Montreal game tomorrow. Should be a classic at the HSBC considering its not going to be a home game for Buffalo @ Buffalo.

The Flames are finally playing the way we all thought they could, and they're doing it at the right time. They've finally got all the lines clicking, an established first trio (Huselius - Langkow - Iginla), their defense is healthy, Kipper is stunning in the crease... and the thing is, most Flames fans will tell you that this isn't even the team's peak. They can be better than this, and hopefully they will continue to work towards that.

I'll be @ the Buffalo/Montreal game tomorrow. Should be a classic at the HSBC considering its not going to be a home game for Buffalo @ Buffalo.

I'll be there as well.

We don't have that big a problem with Montreal fans flooding the arena.

It's Leafs fans who buy all the tickets when they go on sale and outnumber us (not exagerating) 3-1.

Of course the Leafs have only won 4 games in this arena since it opened...so that's always fun for us happy few.

I think my earlier comment (either in this thread or the March one) about how the Leafs shitty play in Montreal would bug me all summer is going to ring true.

Eeking out a win over Florida, depsite outshooting them something like 50-20, Sundin with 4 goals and 2 assists. He can be so awesome sometimes.

Sundin is God, I don't care what anyone says. I just wish he could go out with a Cup to go along with the Gold. :firing: Leafs organization

Looks like it was Sundin (6pts) vs. Nieuwendyk (4pts) last night, basically.

When Toronto was getting smoked against Montreal those two games, it seemed like Sundin was the only one out there playing.

BPS where abouts are you sitting for the game?

I'll be there as well.

We don't have that big a problem with Montreal fans flooding the arena.

It's Leafs fans who buy all the tickets when they go on sale and outnumber us (not exagerating) 3-1.

Of course the Leafs have only won 4 games in this arena since it opened...so that's always fun for us happy few.

This is the first time since the '93 playoffs where I'm seeing Buffalo vs Montreal in Buffalo tonight. The crowd is half n half, unless it is Canada at par night, then its overwhelming of Hab fans coming cross the border. God damn I'm going to be stuck at the border for a while today.

The collapse of the Canucks continues as they blow a 2-0 lead and then a 4-3 lead and lose in OT.

At least they got a point, and are now one behind Edmonton.

Tomorrow Edmonton plays Anaheim, and the Nucks have San Jose again.

Montreals shittyness in the first period last night cost them the game. Though I still question Buffalo first goal, it still looked like a high stick.

Bonk and Riberio are horrible out there, and Montreal needs to shoot more on the powerplay.

Oh and Brierre goal was sick.

The collapse of the Canucks continues as they blow a 2-0 lead and then a 4-3 lead and lose in OT.

At least they got a point, and are now one behind Edmonton.

Tomorrow Edmonton plays Anaheim, and the Nucks have San Jose again.

Any combination of an Edmonton win, Vancouver loss in regulation, or Colorado win knocks the Canucks out. San Jose's win last night makes it official.

Thornton for Hart. No two ways about it. He's only two back of adding the Ross as well. Pardon my slant, but fuck I hate that Jagr.

Thornton for Hart. No two ways about it. He's only two back of adding the Ross as well. Pardon my slant, but fuck I hate that Jagr.

While I will admit to some bias as well (I am now, and always will be, a Thornton mark) ... but look at SJ's record before they traded for Thornton (8-12-4) and after they picked him up (34-14-7). Spearheading a 180-degree turnaround to a team's season is pretty much how I'd define having a Hart-calibre season. Yeah, Jagr has led the new-look NYR, but Nylander & Lundqvist are helping out a lot, too ... the people on SJ that are helping their turnaround are BECAUSE of Thornton, not just alongside him.

And like usual Joe Thorton self, he'll be invisible during the playoffs. He's another person to prove himself when the pressure gets tough.

Again, I'm biased ... but he was not the only one to no-show in the Habs series during the last playoffs. And at least he had an injury as a reason. Having said that, though, yeah, he needs a big postseason to show that he's able to handle the grander scale of the playoffs.

And having said all THAT, the awards are the regular season only. He can go pointless in a 4 game sweep, and he'd still be worthy of the Hart, IMHO.

While I will admit to some bias as well (I am now, and always will be, a Thornton mark) ... but look at SJ's record before they traded for Thornton (8-12-4) and after they picked him up (34-14-7). Spearheading a 180-degree turnaround to a team's season is pretty much how I'd define having a Hart-calibre season. Yeah, Jagr has led the new-look NYR, but Nylander & Lundqvist are helping out a lot, too ... the people on SJ that are helping their turnaround are BECAUSE of Thornton, not just alongside him.

I'm sorry, but Jagr is basically entirley responsible for the career seasons for Straka, Nylander and Prucha. It's all him.

Rangers have also brought up Marc Staal from juniors, I think hes going to play tonight.

edit: or not. He's have immagration peoblems from canada.

Me on March 20th:

I pick Jagr for the Hart, but it's awfully close. San Jose would need to get into the playoffs for me to consider Thornton.

San Jose's in the playoffs. I'm behind Thornton for the Hart now.

Were the Sharks universally picked to finish (near) dead last in the West? If so, then Thornton should win. If not, it's Jagr's trophy.

When these hockey threads first started before the season and I predicted the final standings, I had the Bruins out of the playoffs and some people questioned that pick as retarded.

I am going nuts talking about the Vezina with some guy. He insists that a goalie has to play 41 games to qualify for Vezina voting, and I pointed out Kiprusoff from 2004 and he keeps insisting he wasn't qualified, even though he finished fuckin' 2nd/3rd in the voting! This came about after talking about Cristobal Huet and Tim Thomas.

What is the qualifier anyway, does anyone here know? I always thought it was 25 games.

Where is his proof that the requirement is 41 Games? You have proof of your case based on last seasons voting. Run him over with your car.

I'm not sure the exact requirements are though. General managers vote on this though so Idealy I think they could vote for whoever they wanted to.

If you judge by MVP, I think the Hart trophy should go to Kipper. But I believe the Hart trophy should not go to a goalie, because that is what the Vezina trophy is for. Kind of like the Cy Young and MVP award arguement.

I think Jagr deverses the Hart trophy, without him the Rangers are nothing. No matter how good Lundqvist plays.

If you judge by MVP, I think the Hart trophy should go to Kipper. But I believe the Hart trophy should not go to a goalie, because that is what the Vezina trophy is for. Kind of like the Cy Young and MVP award arguement.

The Cy Young/MVP argument in baseball is that pitchers only play every five days. Can't make that argument for goalies.

There are some years where a goalie is clearly the MVP (Hasek with the Sabres, for example). Kiprusoff would definitely make my final 3 this year.

Guest NYankees

Nice to see the Rangers show up tonight against the horrible Penguins. Rangers are beyond lucky that the Devils are beating the Flyers. OOO wait the Devils might overtake the Rangers.

Leafs stay alive in the playoff race, defeating the Islanders in OT on a goal by Stajan. Sundin also got a goal as the man simply cannot be kept off the scoreboard lately.

Atlanta also won, they have 87 points to the Leafs 86. Pretty interesting race for a playoff spot in the East.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Montreal defeated Boston, so now they're at 93 points. They need 1 more point to clinch.