TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

The 2006 NFL Draft Thread

I wouldn't be shocked if Matt Leinart COULD go to Detroit at #9 if he dropped that far. I know Millen has to win now, but if he drafts from best player available perspective, I cannot see Ernie Sims above Leinart on their draft board.

Dama this has to make your day, with Reggie not going #1.

The only thing that would make this better is if the landlord of Bush's parents had video proof of giving money to Bush's family...

Then again, I'm also a vindictive sonofabitch and hate stuck-up and annoying USC fans.

I think that Detroit has to take a defensive player with their first rounder. Even if Leinart is available, the rest of the staff will dogpile on top of Millen so that he doesn't call in the selection of Leinart.

Guest StylesMark

The Raiders, take a good, young QB? Ha.

The Texans continue to want the #1 draft pick, every year, apparently.

Jet's fans (majority) will not like a Bush pick, considering they badly need a QB whose arm isn't going to fall off.

I think that Detroit has to take a defensive player with their first rounder. Even if Leinart is available, the rest of the staff will dogpile on top of Millen so that he doesn't call in the selection of Leinart.

I could see a Lions staffer "accidentally" delivering the wrong card to the league in order to prevent Millen from screwing things up.

It's not unheard of for stuff like that to happen... One NBA team (Golden State?) did that by accident before and Minnesota DID move down several picks in the first round a few years ago because they weren't watching the clock.

Jet's fans (majority) will not like a Bush pick, considering they badly need a QB whose arm isn't going to fall off.

You're mistaken here man. I don't think we were even going to take a QB with our first pick.

Sal Palantonio said that the Jets and Saints have had talks already. The Saints asked for #4, #29, and #71, but the Jets don't want to give up that much.

You're mistaken here man. I don't think we were even going to take a QB with our first pick.

Sal Palantonio said that the Jets and Saints have had talks already. The Saints asked for #4, #29, and #71, but the Jets don't want to give up that much.

Was that when they thought they'd be getting their choice of Leinart or Young, or is this since Mario Williams signed with the Texans at #1?

I'm a Jets fan and I'd love to see them trade up and take Reggie Bush. Matt Leinart's going to be a bust. He just is. He had the best supporting cast in college football history (on the offensive side of the ball), he completed a bunch of screen passes that went 50 yards, and all of a sudden everyone thinks he's a great QB. 50 different QBs could have won that Heisman for USC two years ago, he was just in the right place at the right time.

Actually, who I'd really like to see the Jets take is Vince Young since he's got the most upside of anyone in the draft, and is the first QB in NFL history who can run like a "slash" player while still being one of the top ten pocket passers in the league. Failing that, I don't see what's so bad about keeping Pennington at QB, adding Bush in the backfield and competing next year. When he's healthy, he's still one of the better QBs in the league and he knows how to lead; he was a missed FG away from the AFC Championship two years ago. From 2002-2004, he played 41 out of 51 games including every playoff game, I really don't think he's as "injury prone" as everyone thinks he is.

The trouble with Pennington is that it is almost assured that he won't be able to play a full season, and when your other QB's are name Patrick Ramsey and Brooks Bollinger, you are set for a 4-12 season.

Guest StylesMark

I agree...Pennington was a good QB. But is anyone sure if he'll return to that form? I know a bunch of Jets fans who have been creaming themselves over Leinart. I think Young is a better choice.

I agree the G-Men need a fresh WR. Toomer IS old. Burress is good when he wants to be.

I'm a Jets fan and I'd love to see them trade up and take Reggie Bush. Matt Leinart's going to be a bust. He just is. He had the best supporting cast in college football history (on the offensive side of the ball), he completed a bunch of screen passes that went 50 yards, and all of a sudden everyone thinks he's a great QB. 50 different QBs could have won that Heisman for USC two years ago, he was just in the right place at the right time.

Such a tired arguement. So, everyone on the offense was great, EXCEPT Leinart? It's not possible that Bush and White could have benefited from his ability to stretch the field in the passing game? It's not possible that Dwayne Jarrett could have benefited from having Matt Leinart as his QB from day 1 as a college player?

Actually, who I'd really like to see the Jets take is Vince Young since he's got the most upside of anyone in the draft, and is the first QB in NFL history who can run like a "slash" player while still being one of the top ten pocket passers in the league. Failing that, I don't see what's so bad about keeping Pennington at QB, adding Bush in the backfield and competing next year. When he's healthy, he's still one of the better QBs in the league and he knows how to lead; he was a missed FG away from the AFC Championship two years ago. From 2002-2004, he played 41 out of 51 games including every playoff game, I really don't think he's as "injury prone" as everyone thinks he is.

What? What has he ever done to prove that? He's never shown the ability to do a damn thing as a pocket passer.

Young has shown the ability to run out of the shotgun. That's it.

Another update. No firm offers have been made to the Saints. Jets don't want to break the bank in a deal for Bush. Other teams who seem interested are the 49ers and Raiders.

I'd love to see the scene tomorrow if the Jets don't trade up for Bush and someone else does instead.

Reactions in Radio City Music Hall will be classic.

Guest StylesMark

Jets fans will not cause a scene if they get Leinart or Young.

I'm telling ya'.

Another update. No firm offers have been made to the Saints. Jets don't want to break the bank in a deal for Bush. Other teams who seem interested are the 49ers and Raiders.

Of those two, the Niners have the best chance of pulling it off because getting their second first-round pick may make up for possibly losing out on Brick or AJ Hawk.

Of course, the question becomes "Who do they take if both guys are off the board?", and the answer to that could be T Winston Justice, DT Haloti Ngata, or another move down the board.

Man, I so wish I could watch the draft tomorrow, but NOOOO I had to agree and work tomorrow morning.

Man, I so wish I could watch the draft tomorrow, but NOOOO I had to agree and work tomorrow morning.

Heh... the Randy GIF combined with the Leinart draft thing is fucking HILARIOUS!

The Ravens..I dont even want to get started on them..Im hearing they want to trade down and do a 2 picks for 1 kinda deal, but at #13 thats not happening, and they aren't gonna get anything at #13 either, and they dont have anything to offer to trade up, unless you belive the "OMG TRADE RAY LEWIS!!!" crap thats being spewed around here as of late.

The Ravens need a QB, because right now all they have is Boller and Brian St. Pierre...but they aren't going to get one without trading up.

And I gotta call the Texans the stupidest organization ever for passing on Reggie Bush and opting for a DT. To quote Fat Tony "That'll put asses in the seats". Of course, Im thinking the fans would be pissed if they drafted Bush anyway cause they really want Vince Young..so maybe this is their way of making sure everyones pissed off regardless..

If the trade with the 49ers happens, and both Brick and Hawk are off the board, I wouldn't mind the Saints taking Davis. Brees has a good history of playing with an explosive tight end I think....

Just read on the IGN boards that the Packers have traded up into the number two spot... Looking for a good source now, so this is purely rumor right now.

Guest StylesMark

Texans are the worst team ever.

Poor David Carr.

The Ravens are screwed for a good, long while. They should let Heap go play somewhere else.

If the trade with the 49ers happens, and both Brick and Hawk are off the board, I wouldn't mind the Saints taking Davis. Brees has a good history of playing with an explosive tight end I think....

It's not that I wouldn't MIND Davis as much as they have a shitload of TEs on the team already, so they'd have to cut Shad Meyer or Ernie Conwell.

(They just re-signed Zach Hilton, so I don't think he'd be quite as expendable as the other two)

Oh I know they have a lot of TEs, but they are all decent at best. Conwell is always hurt, and I like Hilton but he is not a great TE. Davis supposedly has Gonzales/Gates type of talent.

Oh I know they have a lot of TEs, but they are all decent at best. Conwell is always hurt, and I like Hilton but he is not a great TE. Davis supposedly has Gonzales/Gates type of talent.

I'm not arguing with that logic...

The problem is that I don't like cutting people instead of getting value for them and I don't see anyone taking any of those three for even a late-round pick.

Guest StylesMark
Just read on the IGN boards that the Packers have traded up into the number two spot... Looking for a good source now, so this is purely rumor right now.

The Packers have no OL for Bush.

If the Niners make that trade, they better hope that the 2007 draft is loaded on defense since they don't have a pick until Round 4. I don't know if Reggie Bush is worth that with so many glaring needs. But drafting Bush probably buys the team another year of being sorry with the fans.

Guest StylesMark

True as well.

Bush is probably happy he's not in Texas. I would be. Fuck if I'm not the number one pick. Put me somewhere where one or two guys can make a hole.

I fear for Bush if he goes to GB, he'll be injured in 6 weeks.