TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

New X3 Preview clip - "Calm Under Pressure"

http://www.thetoyroom-redux.com/video/X-Men3Spoiler.mov

Right-Click-Save-As.

Hugh Jackman... my goodness, where's the gruff-but-handsome stranger who moved me to tears on many occasion in X1 and X2? (I refuse to think of them as 'previous films') Where, in fact, is any talent at all? Wolverine's lines were flat and emotionless; I felt nothing at all. He wasn't just "calm under pressure"; he was downright lethargic that a freakin' Sentinel was very, very near. Same for Storm; "dammit, Logan, don't do this" sounds like she's yelling at him for getting an extra scoop of ice-cream or something (bad metaphor -_-) instead of, ya know, risking his life. Colussus and everyone else could've been replaced with CGI dummies and we wouldn't know (hell, Colussus was a CGI dummy...) Everything was so..flat, slow-paced, and just blah.

However, knowing Brett's style of directing (:firing:) and how many takes he does, that could be at fault. Thoughts?

Seemed fine to me, like he was playing a guy who was fed up with the performance of the young ones. I had no problem with it at all.

come to think of it, other than Swordfish, I haven't been too thrilled with Hugh Jackman's work outside of X-Men...and I actually do like the guy.

come to think of it, other than Swordfish, I haven't been too thrilled with Hugh Jackman's work outside of X-Men...and I actually do like the guy.

YOU MEAN YOU DON'T LIKE VAN HELSING?!?!?

HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT, BLACK LUSHUS?

don't get me started on Van Helsing...Yuna and I discussed the finer points of the chemistry between Jackman and the dude that played Dracula, hence her avatar.

Meh... that's the only way to make the movie interesting was to add the slash/fandom element. Other than that it was just... crap. o.o I actually hate to say that because Jackman actually tried to play the hero-type, but Stephen Sommers was too busy with his hard-on for grotesque CGI to notice.

Dracula/Van Helsing = twisted-past-lives Love. ^_^

Wow, I realize it was probably a danger room sequence, hence the low key quality to Wolverine, but damn. That looked terrible. Colossus looked like crap and the music was hideous. I really hope that wasn't a finished scene.

I can recall when X2 was being promoted and Alan appeared on Wayne Brady show. The show sucked, but Wayne was a total geek - or at least appeared to be - and it made it all the better. The clip they showed was Jean and Storm finding Nightcrawler for the first time.

Now. Compare that scene to the one above and you tell me which had more emotion, better music, and people who actually seemed to care without overacting. Storm spinning into a tornado just to move Wolverine out of the way of...whatever it was just screamed of 'Ooh, look what I can do~!'

don't get me started on Van Helsing...Yuna and I discussed the finer points of the chemistry between Jackman and the dude that played Dracula, hence her avatar.

The dude who played Dracula should never be allowed to appear on the big screen ever again. His performance screamed Drama Club Student and destroyed the film. And the guy playing Frankenstein apparently thought he was performing a scene out of the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast.

ETA: Just found out he WAS a broadway actor who won a Tony. Wow, I would have NEVER guessed.

Casting is what killed Van Helsing. If you remove the actors who played the vampires and the guy who played Frankenstein, it really would be an entertaining movie.

His performance screamed Drama Club Student and destroyed the film.

The acting destroyed the film? The...acting? And I suppose the mass amounts of goop, sticky web, sparky electrical things, and all the thousands of polygons used on the wives, fog, set dressing, and even in some scenes a person's BREATH had nothing to do with the film being suck. Not to mention a completely incoherent plot that screamed of a schoolboy with new toys and a big budget. But...it was the acting. Okay. I'm sure.

Well I thought it was good. It was a good, put your brain on the shelf movie. Then again I'll admit theres not many movies I can't find redeeming qualities about.

As far as the clip goes, I still have to see X2, but I thought X1 was pretty decent. I'll probably check out X3 when it goes to blockbuster.

The dude who played Dracula should never be allowed to appear on the big screen ever again. His performance screamed Drama Club Student and destroyed the film. And the guy playing Frankenstein apparently thought he was performing a scene out of the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast.

ETA: Just found out he WAS a broadway actor who won a Tony. Wow, I would have NEVER guessed.

Casting is what killed Van Helsing. If you remove the actors who played the vampires and the guy who played Frankenstein, it really would be an entertaining movie.

Bullshit. You'd still be left with shitty CGI, shitty writing, a plot that makes no damn sense (filled with holes and huge logic leaps), and ridiculous action sequences.

Oh, and that ending. Uggggh.

Full-on gay sex in Van Helsing would only be an improvement.

This is officially going in my sig. :wub:

A movie like Van Helsing only serves one purpose: a template for better things. Case in point...

FacetoFace.jpg

My Music Video

Basically, a reinvention of the story is the only way to make it watchable.

And I just love how this post, very quickly, became all about Teh Gay. ^-^

Guest El Satanico

Funny that all your posts seem to be taken to the gayness by other posters. Often by the same posters that have been known to bitch about said gayness.

The only thing that made Vand Helsing even passably enjoyable was Dracula.

He was the hammiest motherfucker EVER. I have never seen such an embarassing acting performance. Hugh Jackman is playing stoic and emotionless hero, and this guy is, I just don't know. The movie's budget probably went all into the scenery he chewed.

Damn--none of the links work there for me, Yuna.

Bah, stupid sendspace. Updated linkage: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4lckdq ^-^ Feedback is like a drug to a vidder, except without unhealthy side effects.

Funny that all your posts seem to be taken to the gayness by other posters. Often by the same posters that have been known to bitch about said gayness.

Indeed. The gayness seems to follow me everywhere on this board. -huggles the pink and fluffy stalker-

He was the hammiest motherfucker EVER. I have never seen such an embarassing acting performance. Hugh Jackman is playing stoic and emotionless hero, and this guy is, I just don't know. The movie's budget probably went all into the scenery he chewed.

Case you hadn't noticed... the entire cast was hamming it up like crazy. I guess you had to; the movie itself was so nonsensical and so damned crazy -- the best thing about it, well next to Teh Gay o'course, were the bloopers. That lil five minute segment had more emotion in it than the entire movie combined. By overinflating the film with CGI, Stephen sucked all the life out of it; not only that, but he was clearly going for a style of film that just...doesn't work today.

And I just love how this post, very quickly, became all about Teh Gay. ^-^

That's cause X3 will invariably be Teh Gay.

I downloaded it, but it isn't working for me. It seems my QT needs some sort of plug in, but the page it redirects me has like a dozen of them. Would you happen to know what I need?

Yuna's posts tend to always be memorable and/or funny to me, so I have no complaints. I often will agree with her points except for, ironically, stuff related to video games.

I downloaded it, but it isn't working for me. It seems my QT needs some sort of plug in, but the page it redirects me has like a dozen of them. Would you happen to know what I need?

QT? Hmm... As it is a .avi, it usually plays for me in Windows Media Player; they have a version of it for Macs, if you're using that. I'm on Windows meself and using WMP v.10.

Yuna's posts tend to always be memorable and/or funny to me, so I have no complaints. I often will agree with her points except for, ironically, stuff related to video games.

Awww... -hug- ^-^

Ah, got it working. I was confused because I could swear I played .avi files before on QT. It works fine in WMP. File-type tug of war with the various media players is really annoying.

I thought it would be ridiculously over the top and blatant...but ignore the lyrics and the part at the end (which seems more like a spot-on, hilarious parody of the crappy ending in the real movie), and it's still pretty damn cool, even with the pale weirdos popping around here and there.

Shame about the little glitching at 00:54, but if I didn't know better I could have easily assumed it was a music video for the soundtrack or something. :)