TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

I graduate from college this week!

I wanted to announce this to everyone on the board. On May 13 I will be graduating from college with a Bachelor of Science in History Education with a minor in Political Science.

I don't plan it. At a job fair I was offered a job to teach in St. Louis and I said where exactly and he said East St. Louis and I was like Hell No!

At a job fair I was offered a job to teach in St. Louis and I said where exactly and he said East St. Louis and I was like Hell No!

Why not? Think of all the young minds out there you could make a difference with.

Er.. what exactly can you do with that degree other than grad school?

You can get any number of jobs with any degree, really. An office is an office. High school looks like the most obvious choice, though.

Now, a second B.A.; how's that work? Did you actually do another 3-4 years of college, or just take correspondence courses to fill time in the working world?

Er.. what exactly can you do with that degree other than grad school?

You can get any number of jobs with any degree, really. An office is an office. High school looks like the most obvious choice, though.

Now, a second B.A.; how's that work? Did you actually do another 3-4 years of college, or just take correspondence courses to fill time in the working world?

I got my B.A. in Government @ Nicholls State Thibodaux, LA with a minor in history. I took a year off, working for the local 911 district, got positioned on a favorable night shift, and then enrolled again at Nicholls for the History degree. Since most of the course work for a history degree is similar to the Government program, I had to take ten additional courses (30 hours) and they are granting me the History degree.

Ten courses/ 30 hours:

6 hours of Spanish

3 hours of Computer Science

3 hours of Economics

18 hours of more random Junior-Grad level history courses.

Took all of 12 months while working night shifts and going to class during the day. Spring semester was easy because I had just 6 hours left. :lol:

Since I had the district pay for my Spanish class (claiming it would help with my job), I signed an agreement that I would stay there for two years or remit whatever money they gave me. So between now and 2007 I'm studying/taking the GRE and LSAT and see which one I get the better score. I'll let that guide me from there.

Worse comes to worse I'll teach High School (and go get a third degree in Education).

One of my best friends dropped out a couple of days ago. I'm very dissapointed.

One credit short? You think she could have taken an easy class to finish that degree. 8 years is quite the semester break.

I still don't know if I'm going to go to college or not. Somedays I think I can do it, and somedays I think I can't. Alot of money could be wasted if I half-ass like it I did in high school. Until I make up my mind, I guess I'll continue to work and move up.

EDIT - Although, for the record, I did pretty good in high school. I was an A, B, C (sometimes) student.

Hey, I have assed it through high school. Remember that for college you can take alot more of the courses that you are interested in, instead of taking a set of classes you would never want to like in high school.

At a job fair I was offered a job to teach in St. Louis and I said where exactly and he said East St. Louis and I was like Hell No!

Why not? Think of all the young minds out there you could make a difference with.

You could be the next Michelle Pfieffer

I dropped out

WOOOOOOOOOO

How long ago was this? I didn't think that you were that old.

Also, a BSc in history? Doesn't make sense.

I'm 18.

And I was joking...

I took a "semester break" and have regretted it ever since. It's been a long few months.

I took a whole year off between high school and college and I can say it was probably the best choice I made. I worked a full time job in between and got a good handle on the real world and was able to mature.

In fact, going to college doesn't seem to serve purpose at this point. I finished last week for my first year and I did well. I still wonder if not transfering is something I will regret. I still haven't selected my major yet, but I have been leaning towards English (despite what it appears here, I am a good english student) or Business.

I took classes this year that would work for either major, but I need to straighten up and decide this year because now I have to get my path set.

I learned that I'm better at the regional commuter branch, rather then the main campus. I think I was too distracted at the main campus and going back home allowed me to focus on my work instead.

I took a whole year off between high school and college and I can say it was probably the best choice I made. I worked a full time job in between and got a good handle on the real world and was able to mature.

I did that, too. That was a good idea, actually. Made me realize how much I didn't want to fuck my life up.

I did that, too. That was a good idea, actually. Made me realize how much I didn't want to fuck my life up.

Exactly. I learned in the process that I can handle the real world. I can work a real job on my own, that I have the skills to be productive and not rely on the walls of education.

College is easy after dealing with pressure that comes from working a real job and not some pointless loser job like Best Buy, Domino's or a tech advisor but with actual consequences when you support yourself and someone else(my girlfriend of the time basically lived with me).

In college, you stress about some worthless exam and which slut in your english 111 class you will bang on friday night...hardly a life changing circumstance.

Haha... Domino's. That's where I've been for the past five years.

I learned from my co-workers more than anything from taking off. Just that it's good to have life ambitions and to actually be willing to work to achieve them. Working with white trash was a good idea.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I took a year off before college as well, and realized I enjoyed working for a living more than studying. I plan on spending my life moving from warehouse to warehouse, then quitting and spending a month or two in a foreign land.

My one semester in a community college last year made me realize how much I absolutely love studying compared to working.