COUNTDOWN 51-48

Written by Paul Dini and others

Breakdowns by Keith Giffen

51 written by Paul Dini; art by Jesus Saiz

50 written by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray; art by Jim Calafiore

49 written by Tony Bedard; art by Carlos Magno

48 written by Adam Beechen; art by David Lopez

Covers by Andy Kubert & Tim Townshend

The event of the year is here! This brand-new, year-long weekly series features a

cast of hundreds where anything goes! With head writer Paul Dini and a rotating team of

some of the industry’s best writers and artists, COUNTDOWN will serve as the backbone

of the DCU in 2007.

When a character dies in COUNTDOWN 51, it sets off an unexpected ripple that

will touch virtually every character in the DC Universe.

The COUNTDOWN is on…so begins the end!

COUNTDOWN 51 on sale May 9

COUNTDOWN 50 on sale May 16

COUNTDOWN 49 on sale May 23

COUNTDOWN 48 on sale May 30

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Jesus, too ambitious, IMO. They've been making good so far, though.

One thing: They better fucking bring Sue Dibny back and make Ralph the biggest pimp ever. I'm not one for character ressurrections, but they better.

As an aside, how awesome is DC making me wrapt in a minor character that I really liked when I was like, 14. And bringing just the touch of Vertigo with Animal Man.

Man, non-Ultimate Marvel is teh suck.

Who's the Marvel guy in the White?

(The Marvel's are the one DC thing I've never kept up with...just don't find them that interesting.)

Billy Batson, he is now the keeper of the Rock of Eternity and wears white.

Freddie Freeman will become the new Captain Marvel and will wear the red costume

Haha, I love the Wizard cover. It's totally like back in the silver age where there would be AT LEAST 2 or 3 of the Superman family of comics A MONTH with "JIMMY OLSON DEAD?" and a grieving Superman on the cover.

Haha, I love the Wizard cover. It's totally like back in the silver age where there would be AT LEAST 2 or 3 of the Superman family of comics A MONTH with "JIMMY OLSON DEAD?" and a grieving Superman on the cover.

You mean these types of covers?

102740251445c9b1xu3.jpg

Jimmy gets his revenge on Superman!

1027412014495549bt8.jpg

And my personal favorite, for showing us how powerful Aquaman is

10274115144c744cyl5.jpg

1027_4_030.jpg

My favorite.

Honestly, Jimmy Olsen is a characeter who could be killed, it would have little ramifications, but people would be interested/pissed. Pretty much analogous to Blue Beetle. Only, he's a much mopre iconic character.

That said, if Wizard has it on the cover, I'm sure it'll happen. (Buffy season 8~!~! it's coming back~!)

DC Countdown pins to be handed out ar New York Comic Con

DCPins.jpg

All are part of DC’s push for the upcoming weekly series, Countdown. As such – the pins tie into the major storylines of the series:

WWMMD? (that stands for, “What Would Mary Marvel Do?”)

I Found Ray Palmer

Look to the Skies!

Jimmy Olsen Must Die!

And the limited pin:

Darkseid Rules!

Week 42, Day 2

Nanda Parbat: While still in the Ice Cave, Renee lights a candle and opens her eyes and sees her reflection in all the facets on the wall’s of the cave with a blank face

Week 42, Day 3

Salem, Massachusetts: Inside the Kent’s sanctuary, the Helmet of Fate instructs Ralph that now is the time and that he has taught Ralph all he can. Ralph, now clean shaven, takes another drink from his flask and puts on the Helmet. Reaching into his waist, Ralph takes out the gun from the Anselmo Case, puts it to his head and fires. The Helmet flies off of Ralph’s head like fabric and hit’s the wall of the sanctuary which reveals itself to be Felix Faust while also dropping Ralph’s wedding ring at the same time. Ralph reveals that he knew it was Faust all along and that it was Faust behind the Kryptonian Reselection ceremony which made the wicker doll move and it was Faust watching Ralph at the sewer entrance. Faust starts running away from Ralph through the halls of the sanctuary while Ralph walks after him telling Faust how he knew who it was. Upon reaching a trunk, Faust reaches in and pulls out a scepter to use against Ralph. Ralph stretches out of the way revealing that he has been drinking gingold the entire time and that the Anselmo gun is not a hand gun but a wishing gun. The gun is a “souvenir from a case. Altonio Anselmo, magician gangster. Claimed to have rules the Boston Underworld with enchanted firearms. Load a bullet…make a wish…and fire.” Faust then confesses that it was all him and that the story he told Ralph about Neron was true and that he had planned on trading Ralph’s soul for his since Ralph’s soul is pure and strong. Neron then appears to claim Faust’s soul but Ralph tells him that Faust is his. Neron asks Ralph if he wants a trade, Faust for Sue but Ralph said he knows that Neron wouldn’t do that so he changed his wish. Ralph then points the gun at Neron, to which Neron quickly grabs the gun taking one of Ralph’s fingers with it.

Neron: Insolent fool. You can’t wish me away with this trinket.

Ralph: I’ve put up with this façade for weeks. I’ve been through Hell and back to get you. YOU’RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

Neron: And you think you can stop me?

Ralph: I don’t need a gun to defeat you.

Neron: Neither do I.

Ralph: Take your best shot

Neron: I believe this is yours.

***Neron flings Ralph’s wedding ring at through Ralph’s chest.***

Neron: Our transaction is complete. In return for Faust I give you back your ring.

Ralph: heh…it’s not over yet, you bastard…I got you…

***And Ralph dies with a big puddle of blood around him.***

Faust: What did he mean by that? What just happened? If he wished to die…

Neron: That was not his wish. It was a trick. He tricked me! Let us leave this…GAAAA The Spell of Binding is still in force. Nothing can be removed from these walls without the permission of the one who cast the spell. With Dibny dead, we are trapped here. DAMN, his soul! He knew. He knew all along! And now you will suffer for it. You will suffer for eternity.

Week 42, Day 7

Elysium Cemetery: Fire gets Ralph’s answering machine when she tries to contact him on her cell phone. Bea continues to walk to Sue’s grave where she notices a ring on top of the grave stone. Upon picking the ring up, she realizes that it is Ralph’s wedding ring and begins to cry.

Week 43 Preview

52-Cv43-ds_t.jpg

52_43.p5_t.jpg

52_43.p6_t.jpg

And I LOVE that Animal Man cover.

I was thinking the same thing. That is easily in my top 5 for favorite covers from this series.

I'm kinda disappointed in that. I thought

Skeets

was a much better choice for

the Fourth Horseman

. Hopefully

Osiris

lives up to his name and

comes back from the dead