TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

The Official "52" Thread

...you know I think I'm gonna need to go back in time to read comics from the GL, because I don't get what you guys are talking about concerning the black M thingie.

Here is the rundown:

The Guardians nervously talk about sector 3601 and the "52"

The Green Lantern rings are afraid of the Blue Beetle and begin to act up around him. See IC#6 and Blue Beetle #1

The "M" thingie on Blue Beetle's chest forms a 52

...you know I think I'm gonna need to go back in time to read comics from the GL, because I don't get what you guys are talking about concerning the black M thingie.

Here is the rundown:

The Guardians nervously talk about sector 3601 and the "52"

The Green Lantern rings are afraid of the Blue Beetle and begin to act up around him. See IC#6 and Blue Beetle #1

The "M" thingie on Blue Beetle's chest forms a 52

To elaborate...The new Blue Beetle was fighting Guy Gardner in the first issue of "Blue Beetle". The new Beetle had no idea why they were fighting, nor did he know why he couldn't remember the last year of his life. LF, the story you're missing really hasn't been told yet, but will in the coming issues of "Blue Beetle" and "52."

I describe the new Blue Beetle this way: This is the comic book I wanted to grow up to create myself when I was a kid.

WEEK 31 RECAP (GREAT ISSUE):

Week 31, Day 1

Vardu: The Planet Vardu has fallen under attack and Captain Comet is attempting to help. Using his telepathic abilities he calls for help while holding back the onslaught of attackers. One of the local infantrymen, Jodd, refuses to leave Captain Comet to fend for himself and joins him. Both are overcome and captured by the invaders.

Two Green Lanterns – Thormon Tox (humanoid) and Lantern Xax (insect), arrive to help. While Thormon takes statements about what happened on the planet, Xax contacts the Guardians. The Guardians decide not to help and recall the Green Lanterns from the occupied zones. Meanwhile a fleet of cube ships start landing on Vardu destroying where they land as well as the planets ecosystem while Jodd and Captain Comet are being tortured and cut open. The invaders are creating more followers for Lady Styx.

Week 31, Day 2

Metropolis, Infinity Inc. Dormitory: Natasha is reviewing a number of text messages she has received from John Henry over the past two days as he attempts to warn her about the powers she has been given. Natasha is joined by Sierra(Jade), who is having doubts about the use of the name she was given as well as feeling that someone has been in her room while she was working out and believes it to be Hannibal, Everyman. The two are joined by another member Jake and they all discuss their uneasy feelings about Everyman, who can shape shift into anything or anyone that he has digested a piece of. Jake makes a bad joke that sends Sierra out of the room. Natasha kisses Jake and tells him that she will see him later. After Natasha leaves you see Jake change to see that Jake was really Everyman using his shape shifting powers.

Week 31, Day 3

Metropolis: Cassie is found by Fate and Ralph at the Superman/Superboy memorial sight. Ralph says that he thought that they should talk about what happened with the cult. Cassie says that she is not mad at Ralph and that it turned out he was right. Cassie pulls out a dossier on Devem that she mysteriously received in the mail. Apparently “Devem” is Derek Mathers who has a history of fraud and is a mental-ward refugee. When Cassie asks Ralph where he has been after the fire he tells her that he went to Marseilles which eventually sparked a new search. Ralph tells Cassie that his wife was alive for a moment and Cassie believes him that resurrection is possible because she believes that Superboy is back and calling himself Supernova. After Ralph leaves Cassie notices that the postmark on the envelope for the dossier is Marseilles.

Week 31, Day 4

Metropolis: Ralph is joined by Supernova on a roof top. He tells Supernova that it is cruel to let her believe that. “Someone’s got to tell her that it is not Kon-El under that mask rather than…” at which time Supernova stops him. Supernova asks how he figured it out and Ralph says that the clues were there once he used his head. He says that “the powers threw me, but when I saw them from the proper angle I sussed out the one device that could tie them all together. Superman being out of the picture was the key, one of two keys if you want to be cute abut it”. Supernova takes off and tells Ralph that Cassie will have to “keep waiting. There’s too much at stake.”

Week 31, Day 6

Vardu: Thormon has been killed by the invaders and the Guardians again deny the request for back up and have turned the power off to Thormon and Xax’s rings saying it wouldn't be wise to expose the Corps to an unknown menace. Xax is talking to Jodd’s fiancée when you see Jodd appear in the background with a long blade. Jodd tells her that Adam Blake is dead and then grabs his fiancée and stabs her tell to “Believe in her” while the others around Jodd are chanting the same thing. Meanwhile Captain Comet has been pretty well skinned and attached to the outside hull of a ship above Vardu watching it be destroyed before he dies.

Week 31, Day 7

Space: Jodd’s fiancée has been turned into a zombie follower of Lady Styx as she is shown being greeted by the Lady herself. Lady Styx has both of Thormon and Xax’s Green Lantern rings which she proceeds to eat; The Green Lantern Xax has been killed and now is an earring on Lady Styx.

Using a pair of high powered binoculars, from an asteroid some ways away, Lobo shows Animal Man, Starfire, Adam Strange and the Emerald Head the damage Lady Styx has caused. Lobo:"Ladies and Gentlemen.. Lady Styx" Animal Man:"uh oh"

Cover to issue #33

52-Cv33.jpg

Preview Page for #32

52-32_p15.jpg

Bonus: Read Justice Society of America #1 which was beyond awesome

Here is the page of the book previewing the upcoming year for the series

JSoA-1-last-page.jpg

Solicitations for March

52_45.jpg

52: WEEKS 44-47

Written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid

Art breakdowns by Keith Giffen

Art by various

Backup features by Waid and various

Covers by J.G. Jones & Alex Sinclair

In the month to come, death and destruction will reign supreme in the DCU. Storylines will intersect with horrifying results, a main character will die, another will do something he hasn't done in years, and one will fall from grace.

A war is coming, and the end is near.

Week 44: art by Eddy Barrows

Week 45: art by Pat Olliffe and Drew Geraci

Week 46: art by Chris Batista

Week 47: art by Joe Bennett

Plus, more Origins of the DCU!

52: A year without Superman; a year without Batman; a year without Wonder Woman...but not a year without heroes.

Week 44 on sale March 7 • Week 45 on sale March 14 • Week 46 on sale March 21

Week 47 on sale March 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.50 US

God, I feel stupid.

"One device that can do all that..."

What can teleport things, make people fly, among other things?

A mother box.

Who is one person that Ralph Dibney knows who has a Motherbox?

Scott Free, one of his fellow JLI members.

By the by, Black Adam looks badass in that cover.

Edited by Justice

There are two trades available of the New Gods. One is Jack Kirby's Forever People and the other is Jack Kirby's New Gods.

Are they particularly extensive, or just a few hand-picked issues?

Regarding the New Gods in TPB:

There are three TPBs out there, all out of print in terms of being impossible to find, and ironically aren't even good quality, in terms of the fact that all three TPBs (New Gods, Mr. Miracle, and Forever People) are all shitty, low quality B&W reprint collections of the original Kirby runs of the books.

You best just wait and basically hope DC makes good on their promise of putting out a four volume Kirby New Gods Omnibus HC set in 2007 instead of delaying it AGAIN, which will collect the entire Kirby drawn/written New Gods issues in original publication order (meaning each issue will have four-five issues of Mr. Miracle, New Gods, and Forever People, along with the relevant Jimmy Olsen comic issues tossed in for good measure).

I need to get me some New Gods/4th World books to read.

Wait...are there any New Gods/4th World trades?

Just announced

JK-4th-world-1.jpg

Written by Jack Kirby

Art and cover by Kirby & Vince Colletta

After co-creating a number of legendary comic book heroes - including The Fantastic Four and The Hulk - legendary writer/artist Jack Kirby came to DC Comics in 1970 to create his magnum opus: four interlocked adventure series that were known collectively as "The Fourth World."

Now, for the first time, DC collects Kirby's four series - THE NEW GODS, THE FOREVER PEOPLE, MISTER MIRACLE and SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN - in chronological order as they originally appeared. These comics spanned galaxies, from the streets of Metropolis to the far-flung worlds of New Genesis and Apokolips, as cosmic-powered heroes and villains struggled for supremacy.

THE FOURTH WORLD VOL. 1 features the debuts of Orion of the New Gods, the evil Darkseid, super-escape artist Mister Miracle and many others, and features numerous appearances by Superman, from the pages of SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN #133-139, FOREVER PEOPLE #1-3, NEW GODS #1-3 and MISTER MIRACLE #1-3!

Advance-solicited; on sale May 30 o 396 pg, FC, $49.99 US

I actually own the issue that has the first appearence of Mister Miracle. Heck I also own the issue that has Darksied's first appearence. Only reason I mention that is that they are both created by Jack Kirby.

I'm not so sure about that. There's an upcoming issue of The Flash and the preview on DC's website says he has to choose between joining the Justice League or the Teen Titans, and I just can't see an incarnation of the Flash joining the Titans ... JL is the "grown up" world so to speak and one of the plots of the new series is that Bart is growing up. Where'd you see that Geo Force is joining?

Or did I just get worked?

This is not 52 related but the last member of the Justice League has been revealed

It's.....

Geo Force

Oh, good. I can stop reading now.

Week 32 Recap:

Week 32, Day 1

Himalayan Mountains: Ralph and the Helmet of Fate are journeying through the Himalayas looking for Nanda Parbat when Ralph across a mystic amulet; “What is it with me and mystic amulets”? When Ralph picks up the amulet he is attacked by a Yeti which barely misses Ralph with a punch. In the distance a musical note is heard which causes the Yeti to place his hands over his ears while at the same time starting an avalanche. The Yeti is covered in snow from the avalanche while Ralph is partially buried. The figure of a man appears through the mist creating another musical note just before Ralph passes out. The figure is that of the Accomplished Perfect Physician who ends up levitating Ralph and taking him to Nanda Parbat.

Week 32, Day 2

Titans Tower, San Fran: The Titans are holding open auditions for members since Hawk and Dove left the group. Raven can feel the “lust for fame and power within so many of them. And half of them are products of Lex Luthor’s Everyman Project”. Beast Boys says that “That’s what we want …Drafting one of Luthor’s sidekicks into the Titans was Steel’s idea”. ***A number of the character shown do become Titans based on the pictures of previous Titans from the first OYL issue of Titans*** One of the members in the crowd is Kid Devil in which he is in his red costume and holding the trident that helps him fly. A character named Pulsar says that he should really have powers if he is to try out for the Titans and that he will put in a good word for him(Kid Devil) so that he can get into the Everyman Project.

At this point Osiris shows up with Sobek, the talking crocodile and wants to join the Titans to do some good. Captain Marvel Jr. is against Osiris joining the Titans because of his ties to Black Adam. Osiris insists that he has done no wrong and want to help make the world a better place. CMJ tells Osiris to “Convince the world of that and I’ll help you join the Titans. When Beast Boy asks Raven what emotions she feels from Osiris she says “Only One. Hope”.

Week 32, Day 3

Space: Adam and Buddy are having words as to what their plans should be. While Adam thinks that Buddy can find a way to get home and prepare defenses while the rest of them stay behind and gather intelligence Buddy feels it is best that they all stay and fight since Lady Styx and her followers are heading towards their waives and children. All of them decide to stay and fight.

Week 32, Day 4

Nanda Parbat: Ralph finally wakes up after being out for three day. The monk that is helping Ralph asks him what brings him to Nada Parbat to which Ralph replies he wants to see Rama Kushna to find out about death, dying and the dead. Ralph is then joined by the APP and is told that the Yeti is a reserve member of the Great Ten who discovered the Atavistic Trigger Gene which transforms men into monsters and that the amulet that he, Ralph, found was an electronic device to inhibit the Yeti’s rage. The APP tells Ralph that he learned certain sounds that he was taught can heal and sometime destroy and that he was a member of the Red Army before accepting the responsibilities of the APP. APP then tells Ralph that he needs his help to capture the Yeti. Ralph says that he is no longer a superhero and that he is awaiting an audience with Rama Kushna. The monk that was helping Ralph returns to Ralph and tells him that Rama Kushna can not see him.

Week 32, Day 5

Himalayan Mountains: Ralph and going though the mountains looking for the Yeti. Ralph is telling APP that he was always there for Sue except for the one time when she needed him to be. APP tells Ralph that “The things of this world are impermanent. Love will outlive them all. Can you feel the world trembling? We stand on the brink of an unforgettable war or a remarkable awakening”. Ralph then notices a shadow from above and tackles APP just before they are hit by a bolder. The Yeti then appears and goes to attack APP. While APP is being attacked Ralph jumps on the Yeti’s back and places the amulet on him which turns him back into a human. The monk and Helmet of Fate arrive and tell Ralph that Rama Kushna will see him now.

Week 32, Day 6

Nada Parbat: Ralph and the Helmet are lead to a temple to meet Rama Kushna. Rama Kushna tells Ralph “Here is the secret. There is no death. Death is an illusion of being in time. A trick of the light.” Ralph then asks “Why it hurts so much...Where is the Essence you talk about...Why can’t I talk to her?” Ralph is them covered with a beam of light and Rama asks Ralph “You wish to be with her again. Come closer, I will show you how”. Ralph says “tell me…” and then the temple goes dark again.

Week 32, Day 7

Nada Parbat:

Ralph: At least you got what you came for I see.

APP: And you did not?

Ralph: I don’t know. I heard a woman’s voice telling me things I already knew. “The end is already written”.

APP: And they call me cryptic. And if this end is written who was the writer Mr. Dibny?

Ralph: It was me, at the end of the Crisis in the Ambassador Hotel. Be careful, Yao Fei. Be careful what you wish for.

And Ralph and the Helmet leave Nada Parbat.

Cover for 34

52-Cv34.jpg

Preview pages for 33

52_33p10.jpg

52_33p3.jpg

Shouldn't Nightwing be with Bruce and Tim? I haven't been able to follow 52 in a few months.

He goes back home, after finding out pretty much that Intergang is taking over.

Week 33 Recap:

Week 33, Day 4

Flash Museum, Central City: Ralph and the Helmet of Fate had used a Gateway Spell to get into the Flash Museum after hours as Ralph is in need of retrieving something that he had donated to the museum.

Fate: Did you find the item you were searching for? Some personal effect, I presume?

Ralph: Nothing you need to worry about. I have it. Let’s roll.

The item in question is the gun that Ralph was going to kill himself with.

Week 33, Day 5

Gotham City, Cathedral Square: Alfred is leading a group of kids in Christmas Carrols down at the Christmas tree in Cathedral Square. Batwoman is looking on from a rooftop after having defeated a jackal like creature and is joined by Nightwing. Nightwing gives Batwoman a present which she is hoping is Mannheim’s address, but alas it is not. Batwoman opens up her present to find that it is “another Batarang” which Nightwing is quick to point out is a real Batarang and not a homemade version as she has been using.

Metropolis: Lex is given news that one of the people that has been given the Everyman formula has slipped into a coma and is rejecting the procedure. Lex tells the tech to fly in the family of the patient and to let them know that they are in Lexcorp’s prayers. Lex then proceeds up to the Infinity Suite. Lex meets up with Infinity Inc and gives them all a present; a Tanahashi which is a quarter million dollar car. The members of Infinity Inc take off to try out their new cars as Lex has also arranged for Fifth Avenue to be closed off so that they can use the street as their own personal drag strip. As the kids quickly leave Mercy voices her dissatisfaction that no one even said thank you to Lex for their car. Lex is handed a folder with his test results for the Everyman Project with the results still coming up the same, that he is not a suitable candidate. The tech, Dr. Laughlin, from before bursts into the room and gives Lex the news that the comatose boy is now accepting the Everyman process.

Dr. Laughtin: some x-factor in his body is spontaneously adapting to the Everyman process! It’s a Christmas miracle.

Lex: That’s wonderful Dr. Laughtin.

Dr. Laughtin: I know. The way he survived…

Lex: Oh not that part. The part where something inside the boy opened the door to the possibility of generic adaptation. Do a full organ harvest and spinal drain on Luis, draft a glowing obituary and have his parents compensated for their tragic loss.

Batwoman’s Apartment: Renee is staring out the window of the apartment when Charlie comes stumbling out of the bedroom. Charlie is talking but makes no sense to Renee as he his bringing up different conversations from his past as he is pretty delirious. Renee helps Charlie back into bed and sees her as whomever he is “talking” to at the time, his father, his wife…Renee goes back into the living room and sits on the couch where she is joined by Kate. Kate brings Renee a cup of hot cider and they talk.

Kate: Some hot cider might make you feel better.

Renee: Only if you added some bourbon to it.

Kate: I didn’t but I can if you like.

Renee: No. Seems that all the problems I had when I started drinking are still there when I stop.

Kate: You gave him peace. You should be glad for that.

Renee: I am. I just wish I could get a little for myself.

The two kiss and the Kate wishes Renee a Merry Christmas.

DCU:

*Ellen Baker is standing outside and blows a kiss at the stars wishing Buddy a Happy Christmas and to come home.

*Clark holds a piece of mistletoe over Lois’ head.

*Firestorm gives Cyborg a wrench for Christmas

* Ollie gets a new arrow.

*Bea (Fire) is on the phone looking sad.

*Guy is making Santa Claus and a menorah with his power ring.

*Red Tornado’s head is in a junk yard.

*The Batcave with covers over everything.

*A pregnant Selina looks at a bunch of cats.

*Hawkgirl, now normal size, is standing without crutches.

*Hal Jordan gets a green tie from his nephews.

*Commissioner Gordon is welcomed back.

*The Steel works is dark.

*The castaway’s ship and the head in space

“That star Alpha Lyrae, Buddy Baker. Vega”

Week 33, Day 6 (Christmas)

The Black Marvel Family arrives, with Sobek, at the Kahndaq Embassy for a press conference. The streets are very crowded and the Titans as well as Green Lantern, Flash and Wildcat are present.

Black Adam: I have come here today; I have brought my family here today to show you that underneath the powers of gods long dead we are as human as the rest of you.”

All three of the BMF say their catch phrase and are shown in their human appearance.

Belle Reve Federal Prison: Amanda Waller and the new Suicide Squad are watching Black Adam on TV. Atom Smasher says that Black Adam has but Waller tells him that they are still going after Black Adam as he is still a terrorist. One of the squad mentions “and now we know Black Adam has a weakness. His entire family does”. A boomerang flies around Waller’s head at which she responds …

Waller: “I heard you were smarter than your father. I still don’t see it.”

Cap Boomerang JR: You will gorgeous. As soon as the Suicide Squad wish the Black Marvel Family a Happy $#%@ing Holiday.

Suicide Squad is Atom Smasher, Cap Boomerang Jr, Vertigo, Electrocutioner, Plastique, and Persuader .

Preview Pages for #34

52_34_4.jpg

52_34_6.jpg

52_34_15.jpg

I find it amusing the 52 version of Clark Kent resembles the post-Crisis John Byrne-style version, whereas in the post-OYL "Superman" monthly books, he's reverted back to a pre-Crisis/Christopher Reeve/Brandon Routh bumbling doofus model.

CONTINUITY~!

Some news on upcoming issues

Issue 37 is where Skeets finds who is looking for

Issue 40 marks the turning point for the Infinity Inc. storyline

Around issue 45 we will see the return of Batman and this will be shown in greater detail in a future arc in "Batman"

"Previews" revealed the country that will be destroyed in 52, it's:

Bialya

which is decimated by

Black Adam