TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CurryMan

World Cup 2006 in Germany

Picks for tomorrow are Germany 2-1 and Poland 1-0.

Kahn won't be backing up for too long.

I think Germany takes it 3-0. The home team always gets a big boost in this kind of thing and Germany's much better than Costa Rica to begin with. I've got $200 on them laying 4:1.

Here are my predictions, or more accurately what I wish would happen

Group A

Germany

Ecuador

B

England

Paraguay

C

Netherlands

Ivory Coast

D

Portugal

Mexico

E

USA

Czech Republic

F

Brazil

Australia

G

France

South Korea

H

Spain

Tunisia

Round of 16

Germany over Paraguay

Netherlands over Mexico

USA over Australia

France over Tunisia

England over Ecuador

Ivory Coast over Portugal

Brazil over Czech Republic

South Korea over Spain

Quarterfinals

Netherlands over Germany

USA over France

England over Ivory Coast

Brazil over South Korea

Semifinals

Netherlands over USA

England over Brazil

Third Place

Brazil over USA

Final

Netherlands over England

Guest CurryMan

Finally it starts :)

Germany - Costa Rica 2-0

It will be intresting if Ballack plays or not, he says his fit but Klinsmann says he won´t play. If Ballack wins I believe it will be a easy game for Germany but if he won´t be playing it could be more difficult for them.

Polen - Ecuador 1-0

Ecuador has 2 wins outside of there home, I can´t see them messing with Polen who are going to have a massive homefield advantage with people there supporting them.

Tomorrow the WC starts for real.

Germany win 4-2, but it wasn't a convincing win. Cost Rica look pretty poor, but even so they caused the Germans a fair few problems. The Germans defence is definitely suspect.

I think the Germans will top the group and probably get to the quarter finals (and from then on, who knows?), but they don't really deserve to.

Guest CurryMan

I´m impressed with some stuff with the offensiv but they seem to have really big problem with the defence. I´m guessing that the voices heard from Beckenbauer and many more that the libero is needed in Germany national team will continue to be heard and now even louder. Can´t be fun for Klinsman having these people talking about a system he doesn´t like.

But it was a fun opener and when even Germany plays a offensiv game hopefully this world cup be good.

Ecuador are doing better (and Poland worse) than I expected.

Although both could probably give Germany a good run for their money.

Ecuador wins 2-0 as Poland waited way too long to start attacking, and then hit the frame twice down the stretch. Poland might have just eliminated themselves with this result.

ECUADOR WINS!!!!!!

Carlos Tenorio first, then Agustin Delgado for a much-labored 2-0 score. We're tied in first place with Germany and may be just a tie away from qualifying to the next round.

SI SE PUEDE! SI SE PUEDE! SI SE PUEDE!

Guest CurryMan

I´m impressed with Ecuador will be intrestting to see what they can do against Costa Rica. It will now be between these tow countries who will go trough with Germany.

According to the second biggest newspaper in sweden this will be starting line-up against Trinidad/Tobago.

Rami Shaaban - Niclas Alexandersson, Olof Mellberg, Teddy Lucic, Erik Edman - Christian Wilhelmsson, Anders Svensson, Tobias Linderoth, Fredrik Ljungberg - Henrik Larsson, Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Since Isaksson is injured Shaaban might be the natural choice since he has some history with Arsenal and played CL matches. The one I´m really missing is Kim Källström he has been superb and his confidence is high with him just signed with Lyon.

Shaaban was on trial with us a few months ago(3rd Division in England) I assume he's at some scandinavian club?

Ecuador's philosophy this tournament is similar to Cameroon's in 1990. Score 1 or two in counter attacks and then keep the opponents away at all costs - yellow or red cards don't matter.

Argentina/Ivory Coast should be good, If Toure and Drogba are on form I see them snatching the win.

Maybe one of you can explain this to me. Soccer teams carry 23 players. 11 players on the field, plus three substitutions make a maximum from 14 players from each team can play in any given game. What the heck do they need nine extra players for?

Round of 16

USA over Australia

OH NO YOU DI-INT!

And fuck Poland. I put money on them.

Lehmann sprained/twisted his ankle today, so maybe Kahn will see time.

Trinidad & Tobago could shock Sweden if the Swedes think they're getting a walkover.

Injuries. They can't add anyone else to the squad.

It's also, in theory, a reserve player for every position on the pitch. So If both your strikers or both your full backs need to come off, you have replacements.

Guest CurryMan
Shaaban was on trial with us a few months ago(3rd Division in England) I assume he's at some scandinavian club?

Ecuador's philosophy this tournament is similar to Cameroon's in 1990. Score 1 or two in counter attacks and then keep the opponents away at all costs - yellow or red cards don't matter.

Argentina/Ivory Coast should be good, If Toure and Drogba are on form I see them snatching the win.

Yep, he now plays in a norwegian premiership team if I´m not wrong. Hopefully Isaksson is back after this game since it was just a mild concussion.

If you're gonna miss your keeper for one game, make it against T&T.

England kick off in a few hours. Much as the pessimist in me wants to think we'll draw, I think we'll win. It's gonna be hell in the mid-day sun against Paraguay though. The players seemed to tire a fair bit against Jamaca last week.

I've got a bad feeling, if only because we're terrible in opening games. Paraguay are the sort of team we could easily slip up against in an opening game, where-as we'd usually cream them in any other surroundings.

Anyway, bugger the opening day. I forgot to register my dream team with The Sun in time and I had both Klose and Schweinsteiger in it. At least I'm a little more optimistic for England now. Judging from the first two games, so long as England can get out of the group we should have no problem against any of the 4 teams from Group A. All four looked weak in defence, even Ecuador.