TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BruiserKC

Why Do People Think We're Not Cool

Guest J0bber
It's true about most wrestling fans at the average WWE show. The wife and I went to a WWE house back in the fall of '04, and it was total hicksville. This was in Madison, WI...but most of the fans look like they had just rolled off the hay wagon.

To add to this, most people think we as wrestling fans are not cool because the majority of the marks are hicks. Here in the Chicago suburbs, the only people who are brave enough to wear wrestling shirts outside of a WWE event are obese ladies with no teeth.

It's not just a WWE thing.

I've watched NOAH with family around and been morbidly embarrassed by it by one reason or another ("How is someone who looks that old supposed to pick someone up like that?" "Why do they keep screaming?" "Can somebody shut that announcer guy up, where's the bloody mute button?" "A clothesline!?! All that for a clothesline!?!")

It's the same reason why in 10 years (or hopefully less than that), when "Desperate Houswives" is off the air, people won't be talking about how great it was. They'll be talking about how horrible and dumb the whole show was because of the outrageous factor of it.

HEEEYY NOW.

Don't talk shit on DH. I'll be talking about how great it was.

No, VH1 will have a "Rember the '00s" show, and John Cena (just pulling out a random "name" wrestler) will be on there talking about the hot Latina chick wrestling with a nun in a church.

I just say "No, it's all real!" and leave it at that.

No, what your supposed to say with a well of tears is "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!"

It's the same reason why in 10 years (or hopefully less than that), when "Desperate Houswives" is off the air, people won't be talking about how great it was. They'll be talking about how horrible and dumb the whole show was because of the outrageous factor of it.

HEEEYY NOW.

Don't talk shit on DH. I'll be talking about how great it was.

This season has been moderate at best, but here's to next season

Another example, when espn was rehashing the brawl at the cubs-sox game, someone mentioned "you know AJ Pierzynskiy hes a wwe guy, he probably said hey you got to fake the punch (or something like that) so not only did they get the wrong name of promotion AJ appeared at they took another shot at the fake aspect.

I remember the boom era, I was in my last 2 years of high shcool when it really exploded (98-00) I had a bunch of shirts and it was considered cool to wear them (though to be fair my schol had a bunch of longtime fans as well)

Personally I dont give acrap what people think anymore. So the fads over. No big whoop, but the mainstream media will always view it as a joke. we have to accept that

as for the huge redneck attendance at live events, perhaps, fans like us just dont go to the shows anymore. The "redneck" is more likely to fork over his cash to see any random wrestling show

Its a hard question to tackle.

I guess well always be uncool to those people,but why should we care what snobby a-holes thinks anyhow?

I can't really comment on the hicksville part... couldn't really notice up in the nosebleed seats at the one SD show I went to. But I think it's just actual perception of the WWE itself, and the fans get shit on by proxy. Right now, the only wrestling anyone knows about and sees is the WWE, and all they see is Katie Vick, Mohammed Hassan, Mae Young giving birth to a hand, and Playboy centerfolds everywhere. What would you, as an outsider, think? It doesn't help that most of these people only vaguely remember WWE in their own past as being Doink the Clown, Papa Shango, and fucking Giant Gonzales.

It's amazing how perceptions change when they see something other than the WWE style. A buddy of mine shit on wrestling non-stop, until I sat him down and forced him to watch Joe/Daniels/AJ from last fall. He's a fan now, just not of the WWE.

thinking about it, I dont really care that wrestling isnt in right now. when it was the fad, you had a bunch of new fans who had no idea of any past history annoying us at every turn. sure some of the fad fans turned into full-fledged fanatiics/smarks.

I don't watch my favorite shows cuz everyone else likes them yknow.

No one who's been a wrestling fan for more than 20 minutes can say that they've never watched a show with a non wrestling fan before and felt like a dumb fuck because they watch it.

Believe me, wrestling shows draw hicks. I've gone to about a dozen wrestling shows (WWE,WCW and indy) in the Portland, Maine area where I've grown up and each show with the exception of one or two have been absolutely infested with hicks. This is in New England for Christ sakes!

One of the main reasons I don't take wrestling and fans seriously anymore is that it's own fans seem to struggle to justify their enjoyment by calling it drama and trying to make comparisons to hollywood actors. When I used to watch I thought the same things and now looking back it just seems stupid. It's silly fake fighting no matter how hard you try to make it sound credible. I think fans would look a lot better if they were just honest about it.

One of the main reasons I don't take wrestling and fans seriously anymore is that it's own fans seem to struggle to justify their enjoyment by calling it drama and trying to make comparisons to hollywood actors. When I used to watch I thought the same things and now looking back it just seems stupid. It's silly fake fighting no matter how hard you try to make it sound credible. I think fans would look a lot better if they were just honest about it.

True, we should just grin and bear it. We like it even if it is dumb to others. So all w ehave to say is "We like it" period when asked.