TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Wiiiiii!!!!

No doubt. The W!! is gonna have some crazy ass games, with shit we've never seen before.

I don't know how well it'll do in the states, but I'll be getting one eventually.

And people are worried about the resolution?

It's going to be and look FINE.

If the graphics are appreciably worse on the TV that I own (and most of America / The World owns) then we'll talk.

Hint: most of us don't have HD TV's yet.

who fucking cares?

This isn't real life, these are videogames.

Everything is rendered anyways.

You'd take the PS3's HD nothing over W!!'s announced and displayed and innovative games?

Who cares? I'm not even trying to turn this into a console war. I would bitch if the 360 and PS3 didn't have hi-def standards too. I'm not saying the system will be terrbile, it oculd be great, but Nintendo doesn't have a stellar track record with console systems lately(Gamecube). They were the king of the hill up through the N64, but now it seems they are content with dominating the handheld market.

Between not embracing online play(at least on the gamecube), and not having a hi-def standard...I just think it's a bad move on their part.

And people are worried about the resolution?

It's going to be and look FINE.

If the graphics are appreciably worse on the TV that I own (and most of America / The World owns) then we'll talk.

Hint: most of us don't have HD TV's yet.

HD Tv's will be in most american's homes within the next 3 years or so. It's the future. The price has come down, and anyone who goes to buy a new TV now would be silly not to go Hi-def even if they don't use it right away since pricing is similar.

As I've said, I just think having a next gen system and not having hi-def capabilites is selling the systems power short.

Exactly how long do you expect this system to be dominant? The Ps2 was five years. Even if you assume that the HD will be in most American's homes in three years, which I find laughable, leave that for the next gen.

Maybe they decided that that would raise the costs of the system too high? They are not Microsoft or Sony, they cannot take many hundreds of dollars of loss on each system. How do you not know what you're getting when you get a Nintendo system? It may not have the fastest processors, but it will likely have the best games, or at least quite a few of them.

I just fail to see how the resolution would make that much of a difference in the console market. Especially when I assume that HD TV's just aren't going to be that saturated this decade.

Exactly how long do you expect this system to be dominant? The Ps2 was five years. Even if you assume that the HD will be in most American's homes in three years, which I find laughable, leave that for the next gen.

Maybe they decided that that would raise the costs of the system too high? They are not Microsoft or Sony, they cannot take many hundreds of dollars of loss on each system. How do you not know what you're getting when you get a Nintendo system? It may not have the fastest processors, but it will likely have the best games, or at least quite a few of them.

I just fail to see how the resolution would make that much of a difference in the console market. Especially when I assume that HD TV's just aren't going to be that saturated this decade.

See that's the thing. Nintendo doesn't have the best games, at least for myself. I'm not into Zelda or Mario like I was many years ago. I think they need to start reaching out to a wider audience instead of relying on what worked in the past, at least up until the gamecube. To get away from Hi-def for a second, I mean really Nintendo hasn't put out a great exclusive game not named Mario or Zelda in the last 5 to 10 years. They don't have a Halo(Microsoft) type game or a MGS type game(Sony). I think there in lies there biggest problem. They have there hardcore fanbase, but they don't do enough to branch out to other gamers to make the system sucessful here in the states.

The reluctance to go into the world of on-line game hurts too. Nintendo makes solid systems, no doubt, but being hard-headed about the types of games they put out I think hurts them in the long run in the states and they will continue to be in 3rd place in the console wars, and on top in the handheld wars.

I'll probably still pick up a WII, just like I will probably pick up a PS3 depending on what types of games are out there. Graphics don't trump gameplay by anymeans, but this is next gen....there should be a difference in most games.

See, if you "don't like" Mario or Zelda, maybe you're not the target audience Nintendo wants. Granted I don't own a cube, but my roommate did, and it had some quality games, no doubt.

Maybe you haven't heard the reports that Japanese devs. have begun moving away from the vaunted Sony machine because they're PS3 is just too fucking expensive. They're moving to (slightly) Xbox and (especially) Nintendo. Why? Because Nintendo is Japanese, and it's proven.

Can you appreciate that *perhaps* the innovations of the W!! input may put it ahead of 360 AND PS3, quality wise, despite a lower resolution? In other news, the DS is killing the PSP. Yeah...

See, if you "don't like" Mario or Zelda, maybe you're not the target audience Nintendo wants. Granted I don't own a cube, but my roommate did, and it had some quality games, no doubt.

Maybe you haven't heard the reports that Japanese devs. have begun moving away from the vaunted Sony machine because they're PS3 is just too fucking expensive. They're moving to (slightly) Xbox and (especially) Nintendo. Why? Because Nintendo is Japanese, and it's proven.

Can you appreciate that *perhaps* the innovations of the W!! input may put it ahead of 360 AND PS3, quality wise, despite a lower resolution? In other news, the DS is killing the PSP. Yeah...

See Nintendo needs to have a bigger target audience. They can still make the Mario and Zelda games for the hardcore Nintendo guys, and then branch out to other genres to help expand their place in the market. I mean do you ever thing you would see a game like Gears of War or Dead RIsing on the W!!? I don't, and that's not a good thing, there is no reason why Nintendo can't branch out and expand to other areas to get more people to enjoy their system without alienating the hardcore fanbase...

The Innovations could put it ahead of the 360 and PS3. Sure, it's possible. We will have to wait and see though. It could be a major breakthrough, or it could end up falling flat on it's face ala Virtual Boy or whatever that piece of crap was. Nintendo has alot to prove with the W!!, and I for one hope they do it. I don't hate Nintendo, I grew up with them, but I think myself with quite a few others just slowly grew out of Nintendo cause they didn't want to grow up with us and just stayed status quo.

As far as the DS vs PSP, I said as much that the DS controls the handheld market, that's where Nintendo is making all their money.

And obviously DS has a much much weaker visual area and graphics than the vaunted PSP.

MUCH weaker.

But its a much better system.

So that fits my point to a T.

And obviously DS has a much much weaker visual area and graphics than the vaunted PSP.

MUCH weaker.

But its a much better system.

So that fits my point to a T.

Not really. Nintendo has always been the king of the handheld market. Their share in handhelds has always been numero uno, there has never been much competition at all(save the Sega handheld which flopped).

Consoles are a different story, Nintendo has been an afterthought in the console market since the PS1 was released and Sony took over. Nintendo is a distant third in consoles, and there lies the challenge for them of getting back on top.

Man, Gotdammit.

PLEASE don't turn this into a console geek arguement thread.

Go to GameFAQs if you wanna do that shit.

I didn't think we were arguing. I thought we were having a discussion to be honest.

Either way my points are totally made.

They're there, man.

If you disagree I can't sway you any further.

And I can't sway you either, We shall just agree to disagree.

Halo isn't even a great game. Nintendo can do without it.

I'm not a fan of Halo either, I was just using that as an example of a title that sells a system to someone. That sold a crap load of Xbox's all by itself and was an exclusive title to Xbox.

Nintendo is a distant third in consoles, and there lies the challenge for them of getting back on top.

"Distant 3rd" is misleading.

Sony's so far ahead, MS and Nintendo are fairly close for a distant 2nd, with MS taking that. For most of late '04 and '05 the xbox was 3rd worldwide. Late Halo 2 purchases and the death of Gamecube 3rd party releases probably turned that tide.

Official NPD stats:

Worldwide Hardware Sales (End of June 2006)

PS2 - 106.23 million

Xbox - 24.5 million (unofficially estimated)

GameCube - 21 million

Xbox 360 - 5 million

Game Boy Advance - 75.81 million

Nintendo DS - 21.27 million

PSP - 19.05 million

Sony figures are "shipped" units, not necessarily actual sales. Sony's been extremely protective of any data on how many actual PSP units have been purchased. I think the rest of the figures may be "shipped" figures as well.

HD Tv's will be in most american's homes within the next 3 years or so. It's the future. The price has come down, and anyone who goes to buy a new TV now would be silly not to go Hi-def even if they don't use it right away since pricing is similar.

I wouldn't buy one. The technology isn't even close to being perfected. Also, why would I buy a high-def TV if all cable isn't high-def? So I can watch regular cable on a stretched and shitty looking screen? No thanks, I'll stick to tubes for now.

I wouldn't buy one. The technology isn't even close to being perfected. Also, why would I buy a high-def TV if all cable isn't high-def? So I can watch regular cable on a stretched and shitty looking screen? No thanks, I'll stick to tubes for now.

actually vivi, that's not really the case...not for me anyway. All non-HD channels look just fine on my screen.

It's weird because it seems around here a lot of people have HD TVs, but they don't understand that you don't simply just plug in the tv, hook up the cable box and it is magically HD, so they have basically gone over a year with the tv, having it not properly hooked up, or not having the other equipment required to make viewing in HD a reality

actually vivi, that's not really the case...not for me anyway. All non-HD channels look just fine on my screen.

My cousin's looks like crap. =\ Then again, as NoCal says, maybe he's just got it hooked up incorrectly. What's your setup?

That said, I still wouldn't buy one myself, yet. Even the most expensive HD tvs still look a little too pixellated for my tastes.

they look great, i'm not going to lie about that...BUT, it's not like it's outta this world or anything, you know? It's not worth blowing thousands of dollars.

vivi, I have a HD receiver with component cables hooked into the TV.

I don't have a HD Directv rig because it's expensive. I think it's $10 more a moneth. I do like playing Xbox and PS2 games in HD though.

With TV and standard definition channels, I don't think the audio and the video are in synch sometimes.

It's weird because it seems around here a lot of people have HD TVs, but they don't understand that you don't simply just plug in the tv, hook up the cable box and it is magically HD, so they have basically gone over a year with the tv, having it not properly hooked up, or not having the other equipment required to make viewing in HD a reality

I've had a HD-Tivo for a year and prior to that I had a HD Directv reciever.

Im as a big of a proponent of HD as there is on here, and I try to help out people whenever I can if someone has a question or whatever.

The fact that people are saying how non-HD channels look bad probably stems from the fact that they are stretching the SD channels to fit the whole screen instead of keeping the aspect ratio at 4:3 and getting pillarbars. Everyone hates those nasty black bars (whether at the top/bottom or sides) though. Stretched SD channels are a travesty, I dont want to fill the whole screen and have everyone look bloated.

The W!! not having HD capabilities is a pointless argument. The 360 is HD Capable and will have an HD-DVD add-on. The PS3 comes fully equiped with a Blu Ray drive. Both complete console setups will run you close to $600 or more(depending on which flavor of the console you get and how much the HD-DVD add-on drive is). The W!!, at worst will sell for half that, maybe even 1/3 of that. The target audience for Nintendo probably has no desire for HD compatibility. There isn't a reason to jack the cost of the W!! up to include HD compatibility when the graphics aren't going to be on par with either of the other systems. I was perfectly satisfied playing RE4 on my HD TV over the standard cables in 480i mode and since that is the pinacle of the gamecube graphics, I would expect W!! games for the most part to look as good as that and at least they'll be in 480p.

The 360 and PS3 are HD Capable because both MS and Sony have stakes in how High Definition pans out (Sony probably has more though).

HD capability really only affects graphics which is the one thing Nintendo emphasizes the least, so it shouldn't be a surprise they're not on the HD Bandwagon. Id imagine if theres a future Nintendo home console made, it would have HD Compatibility because by then it would be hard to hook up otherwise.

And you have to remember this: the 360 isn't TRUE HD. The 360 is just upconverting the games to either 720p or 1080i, since it still uses DVDs for their games.

But at the same time, I am not even sure how good the PS3 will look. Maybe it is just the Samsung player or it might be the codec they are using for the software, but the BR PQ looks like shit right now. Sony is also having trouble getting the laser to read the dual layer discs right now, so the BR discs are only at 25GB for the moment. I don't even trust the PS3 right now.

Yes, the PS3 and 360 will look better than Wii. But how often to companies worry about the graphics than the gameplay? A lot. Nintendo is concentrating on the gameplay which I am looking forward to. I am pumped about this new controller and can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'll be there day one for a Wii but will wait on a PS3 for a little while.

Anyone who buys a first gen PS3 is asking for trouble, first generation Sony game consoles literally ALWAYS have issues. I'm going to be looking forward to the Wii myself. Does anyone know if you'll be able to use dial up with it, because that's all I have besides an unsecured wireless network someone nearby has

I never ever buy any expensive electronics at launch. You know that any serious issues will make their way online in a huge bitchfest (like for example, the ipod nano's easy scratch-ability), its usually not hard to wait a month or two to see how things shake out.

That's true--such as the DS Lite issue that came to light--althought that was minor and very rare.

However, there's a difference between the way Nintendo usually handles it...and other companies.

("It's not a defect, it's a feature!"

"We are convinced that there is no problem with these models." *sued* "um...we'll fix them anyway...")