TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

WFA Announces huge card

In a story that was first reported by MMAWeekly.com, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has signed to fight in the WFA. His signing was officially announced at a press conference tonight from the WFA offices in Los Angeles.

As previously reported, Jackson will face Matt Lindland in the main event of the WFA's upcoming show, which will take place on July 22nd from the Forum in Los Angeles in a card called "King of the Streets."

This will be the second time in consecutive fights that Lindland will fight at light-heavyweight instead of middleweight. Lindland defeated Mike Van Arsdale at 205 pounds a few weeks ago at a show in San Diego.

The WFA also announced these following matches...

WFA: King of the Streets--- July 22nd on PPV

-Quinton Jackson vs. Matt Lindland

-Ricco Rodriguez vs. Ron Waterman

-Lyoto Machinda vs. Vernon "Tiger" White

-Ivan Salaverry vs. Art Santore

-Kimo vs. TBA

-Rob McCullough vs. TBA

-Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. TBA

MMAWeekly will have more on this breaking story later tonight.

Not a "good" match on it, save for the main event, and those two guys belong in different weight classes. The others will either be competitive with B and C level fighters, or have Ivan Salaverry whoop someone's ass. Still, there are a lot of recognizable names on this show and it's a good restart for them. Going by that title, they better have Marco Ruas show up.

Best part is the opening line: "In a story that was first reported by MMAWeekly.com". Way to blow smoke up your own ass. This is coming from the same website that considered the UFC being mentioned in passing on an HBO boxing show as "news".

Guest Big_Jay101

Well people will watch for Rampage/Lindland and to see Machida, since newbs make him out to be a god. But other than that we don't know who Miller or McCullogh are facing, Ricco is still huge, I hear he has lost a little weight, but his name is still diminished, and no one cares about waterman, Santore is good but is not in Salaverry's leauge, good card, but I hear Rampage only has a 1 fight deal, and I wonder if they blew most of their cash wod on this first card expecting a big return and i doubt it happens.

Guest CurryMan
WORLD FIGHTING ALLIANCE (WFA) SIGNS PRO WRESTLING ICON BILL GOLDBERG AS COLOR COMMENTATOR FOR “WFA: KING OF THE STREETS”

Dish Network To Offer Live Pay-Per-View Broadcast of July 22nd Event at The Forum To Customers Nationwide

LOS ANGELES, CA, June 14, 2006 – The World Fighting Alliance (WFA) – the recently launched mixed martial arts (MMA) organization featuring a “who’s who” lineup of MMA superstars – announced today its signing of pro wrestling superstar and television and film personality Bill Goldberg as its color commentator for the upcoming “WFA: King of the Streets” live pay-per-view broadcast from the Forum in Los Angeles on July 22nd.

Goldberg’s connections to the MMA world run deep. The former WCW World Heavyweight Champion has been a martial arts enthusiast throughout his career in wrestling and television, and has trained for most of his adult life in the art of Muay Thai kickboxing. Goldberg also owns and operates Extreme Power, a Muay Thai training facility for children and adults, as well as competitive fighters in Oceanside, CA. Currently, Goldberg is set to star in a remake of the 1980s martial arts film, “Half Past Dead,” which originally featured martial arts expert-turned film star Steven Seagal. Shooting is scheduled to begin in Los Angeles in July.

“I’ve been passionate about martial arts my entire life through my own Muy Thai training, my Extreme Power martial arts training facility and now through the myriad of relationships I have with the top fighters in the sport of MMA,” said Goldberg. “When the WFA approached me with this opportunity and I saw the lineup of elite MMA stars fighting for the WFA, I knew this was an opportunity to get more involved in the rapid evolution of this sport. The decision was a no-brainer and I’m thrilled about my affiliation with the WFA.”

The WFA also announced a distribution agreement with national satellite television provider Dish Network for “WFA: King of the Streets.” to compliment its existing deal with iN Demand. The event, broadcast live on July 22nd, will be available to Dish Network customers nationwide through a live pay-per-view broadcast, available on Dish Network for $34.95. In addition to the Dish Network, “WFA: King of the Streets” will be available live on pay-per-view for cable customers nationwide via iNDemand (check local cable listings for details).

The broadcast will feature a three-man broadcasting team, led by veteran boxing play-by-play commentator Barry Tompkins with Goldberg handling color commentary duties. The WFA is reportedly speaking with several well-known former MMA stars to round out the broadcast team, handling post-fight interviews and analysis in the ring. Details on this final member of the King of the Streets broadcast team will be announced in the weeks to come.

“Goldberg is a legend to millions of Americans and his hard-nosed, raw and aggressive persona is the perfect compliment to what the WFA is all about,” said Jeremy Lappen, CEO of the WFA. “He shares our passion for the sport and we feel his signing simply underscores the credibility of our organization and our commitment to providing a superior entertainment experience. Needless to say, we’re thrilled to have him on board as an ambassador for the WFA.”

Goldberg became a professional wrestler after a standout college football career at the University of Georgia and professional football stints in the World League and a three-year NFL career with the Atlanta Falcons. Goldberg’s success in wrestling was almost instantaneous capturing the WCW U.S. title and the WCW World title (in a historic battle with Hollywood Hulk Hogan) in less than two years. He is inarguably one of the most beloved and revered personalities in the history of professional wrestling. Goldberg has transitioned into television and film work with roles in feature films including The Longest Yard and Universal Soldier.

This is going to be ultimate has beens but still I´m intrigued and will of course try to get my hands on this somehow....

Currently, Goldberg is set to star in a remake of the 1980s martial arts film, “Half Past Dead,” which originally featured martial arts expert-turned film star Steven Seagal.

Did this movie actually NEED a remake?

Nevertheless, I'd like to be the first in the subforum to say that Goldberg IS Half Past Dead