TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dogbert

Songs you hate by artists you like

Today, I was listening to Lawrence Gowan's "Best Of..." CD, and his cover of the Guess Who's "These Eyes" came on. Now, usually, I'm a big fan of his; however, I can say without hesitation that he absolutely butchered the song, and possibly ruined the original for me. It's just that bad.

Are there any songs (covers or originals) by artists you normally love that just make you want to retch?

for some reason I cannot stand the studio version of "Sloop John B" by the Beach Boys. I also dislike Rod Stewart's recent career move to sing nothing but the Great American Songbook. I know he can do better. One album was enough.

The Who- Squeeze Box

The Beatles- Maxwell Silver Hammer (I'm not sure why- I know it's an intentionally goofy song and it should have some cheese factor for me but I just disdain this song for some reason.)

The Rolling Stones cover of "Like A Rolling Stone"- It seemed like they were sick of people telling them "Hey you should cover of that song. It's your name! lol" And they decided to record one out of spite.

I find most of XTC's Oranges and Lemons absolutely repulsive, 'Hold Me My Daddy' in particular. I wish that album didn't exist. Many like 'Chalkhills and Children' but not I.

Shadows Fall songs I can't stand:

-Destroyer of Senses

-The Idiot Box

-Inspiration on Demand

Metallica

-the entirety of St. Anger

-most of ReLoad

-most of The Black Album

Iron Maiden

-Anything with Blaze singing

Unearth

-everything off The Oncoming Storm sucks except for "The Great Dividers," "Black Hearts Now Reign," "Zombie Autopilot," and "Endless" (which, even then, ain't too good)

Megadeth

-"Breadline"

-"Motorpsycho"

The Misfits

-Most of Famous Monsters

-Cough/Cool (the first Misfits song)

Zombie Apocalypse

-...no, wait, I love everything by them! :D

Pink Floyd-Learning To Fly

Megadeth

-"Breadline"

Hah, that's one of the few songs by them that I like.

I'd like to add the studio version of Ants Marching by Dave Matthews Band. I loved the live version that most radio stations were playing in the mid-90's, but thought the studio version sucked ass.

Guest croweater

The Smiths- Golden Lights. Everyone knows it's their worst song but it still needs to be said.

Famous Monsters is the Misfits album for non-fans. It's easy, accessible, and has plenty of b-movie charm (something that's been prevalent since back when it was just Jerry and Glenn jamming in Glenn's garage), but it lacks the overall morbid sense of humor and charming rage that the Danzig-era is filled with. Danzig-era Misfits was a post-apocalyptic dancehall: it was dark, angry, and disturbing, but at the same time sing-song and fun. It was a graphic horror movie, similar to the The Evil Dead, that had a dance number. Graves-era Misfits was...fucking Goosebumps.

Danzig = Sam Raimi.

Graves = RL Stine.

See if that makes any sense for you. Of course, with that said, two of my favorite Misfits' songs, "Scream!" and "Dig Up Her Bones," are Graves-era.

New additions

Ministry-Most Of Filth Pig and With Sympathy

Depeche Mode-Dreaming of Me and Just Can't get Enough

Led Zeppelin-All of my Love

Graves-era Misfits was...fucking Goosebumps.

Danzig = Sam Raimi.

Graves = RL Stine.

There's just no need to be knocking Goosebumps. The Haunted School fucking owns you and you know it.

Static Age is the album to start with, right?

I love Sufjan Stevens, but "Super Sexy Woman" has to be the most godawful song ever, even for a joke song. "She'll rip a super sexy fart." Zuh?!?!?

Graves-era Misfits was...fucking Goosebumps.

Danzig = Sam Raimi.

Graves = RL Stine.

There's just no need to be knocking Goosebumps. The Haunted School fucking owns you and you know it.

Static Age is the album to start with, right?

It was originally suppose to be their debut before it got shevled during the great punk backlash of the late 70s. I personally think it's their best and it's probably a good idea to start with it. Stay clear of the overpriced collections as most of the songs feature botched mixes.

One thing about Danzig that seperates from other punk vocalists, is how damn soulful and sincere he sounds despite the absurd subject matter of his lyrics. You can tell a Johnny Rotten or Jello Biafra are being sacrcastic but with Danzig there's no distinction. The result is either hilarious or moving in it's own disturbing way.

I find most of XTC's Oranges and Lemons absolutely repulsive, 'Hold Me My Daddy' in particular. I wish that album didn't exist. Many like 'Chalkhills and Children' but not I.

"The Loving." Even though it's guilty of having a guitar solo that plays the melody note-for-note, which has long been a peeve of mine. Also, if you can ignore the hokey lyrics, "The Mayor of Simpleton" is nice, but then I'm a sucker for Byrds-esque jangle.

As much as I love Dead Kennedys with all of my heart and soul, I'm not a big fan of Too Drunk to Fuck. Maybe because it makes me feel like I actually am drunk... the bad kind of drunk.

However, I always crack up at the line about "the baby from Eraserhead." I shouldn't, since I haven't even seen the movie, but something about it is really funny.

After a period of indifference, I'm back to disliking "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Of course, the Stones have since done far worse, but that one is the sole sticking point during their golden era.