TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maztinho

NASCAR vs International Soccer

So, I'm just doing my thing, and my Manager (Lord High Redneck) comes up and starts talking about stuff, and has a paper in his hand. He glances down, and tells me...

"Did you know that NASCAR is the most watched sport in the world?"

I laughed and said, that Soccer was. He argued with me for like five minutes that indeed NASCAR was more watched, until I turned to him, and said, "If we where in Brazil, and a World Cup game was on, the store would be closed, because everyone would be watching the game. Does that happen with NASCAR?"

He blustered, and tried to bring back his argument, pointing to his paper that he'd printed out for some reason.

I just smiled and went on with my business.

But which is really the most watched among TSM?

NASCAR?

International Soccer?... not MLS, or the English Premier League.

Let the most odd fight of Sports begin.

I watch the World and European Cups whenever they're held. I also watch a little Premier League and Champions League.

I've never watched NASCAR for more than ten consecutive minutes in my life.

It's possible depending on how the "most watched" bit is phrased.

"Highest average of spectators attending an event" - may very well be NASCAR.

And put me on the NASCAR side. Me and Marvinisalunatic at least, IIRC.

It's possible depending on how the "most watched" bit is phrased.

"Highest average of spectators attending an event" - may very well be NASCAR.

And put me on the NASCAR side. Me and Marvinisalunatic at least, IIRC.

Do you know how much the Maracana holds? Soccer wins that one without even breaking a sweat.

The qoute was "Most watched sport in the world." So I took it as thus.

Top to bottom, NASCAR draws more spectators then any other sport in America. People always have the misconception that NASCAR is a once a week event at one venue. There's over 350 NASCAR sanctioned events a week across America and some international markets(Mexico City, Japan etc). I don't have the average on my hands, but most crowds generally pack from 5,000 to 250,000(obviously this comes from the Daytona, Tallegeda, Bristol type tracks) and those don't count the additional 5-10,000 in the field.

So, 350+ venues drawing the same or bigger crowd then MLB, NBA or NHL does per event in a week...add that up to a season that lasts from mid february to early november. That is why it is refered to as the top spectactor sport in America.

Is it the most VIEWED in the world? No, that's obviously soccer.

A quick yahoo search shows 100,000, so if I am wrong let me know and this note will be ignorable.

Indy holds 400,000 people, Bristol motor speedway hold 160,000, most tracks I believe hold over 100,000.

Don't get me wrong, I won't argue that soccer isn't the most watched. It matters everywhere but America, no arguing that. But if what your boss found was what I narrowly outlined it to, then NASCAR could be an answer.

Here is what happened, your boss heard the correct term of NASCAR being the #1 spectactor sport and interpreted to mean it's the most watched in the world.

Obviously, people in Germany aren't watching NASCAR. They got their own racing that they follow. Soccer is HUGE everywhere except this country.

Im a NASCAR fan, but Im not obsessed like most are. I go to the occasional race only because Dover and Richmond are within a couple hours. I watch the races every week, but Im not a huge gear head and don't even pretend to know half of what they talk about, although I've learned a good deal in the 13 years I've been watching.

I think if you go Auto Racing in general, it might be closer to Soccer considering you have F-1 and Indy Cars and they have a lot more international appeal, but I cant get into those versions of racing.

Im a NASCAR fan, but Im not obsessed like most are. I go to the occasional race only because Dover and Richmond are within a couple hours. I watch the races every week, but Im not a huge gear head and don't even pretend to know half of what they talk about, although I've learned a good deal in the 13 years I've been watching.

I think if you go Auto Racing in general, it might be closer to Soccer considering you have F-1 and Indy Cars and they have a lot more international appeal, but I cant get into those versions of racing.

Auto racing, itself as a whole probably beats soccer since there's all kinds of racing leagues beyond the more well known ones in America. In America, alone there are over 10 major types of auto racing leagues from NASCAR, Outlaw, ARCA, Indy, Sprint and others. Remember how big auto racing is in countries like Italy, England Germany and others.

I would say Auto Racing is the closest thing to Soccer in terms of world wide popularity.

NASCAR can't be the most popular sport in the world if only because NASCAR is simply not a sport, just an organization that runs a part of a sport. That said, the growing popularity of NASCAR is impossible to dispute.

Relevant link

I thought for sure the way your post started that we were getting ready for "NASCAR IS NOT A SPORT!" version 2326

That's true what he said. I guess the correct way to say it is that NASCAR is the most watched sporting organization. Which is like saying WWE is the most watched wrestling promotion, because you obviously got other wrestling promotions but none as big like WWE.

Here is what happened, your boss heard the correct term of NASCAR being the #1 spectactor sport and interpreted to mean it's the most watched in the world.

Obviously, people in Germany aren't watching NASCAR. They got their own racing that they follow. Soccer is HUGE everywhere except this country.

Actually he showed me the paper during the debate right before I dropped the "Closed" line, and it said, "Most watched in the world."

See now isn't this a fun debate?

I'm a fan of soccer myself but it has to be playoff style games in international friendlys or championships like World Cup, UEFA Champions League, etc. I can't watch auto racing for hours waiting for somebody to run into the wall starting a domino effect pile up crash.

NASCAR can't be the most popular sport in the world if only because NASCAR is simply not a sport, just an organization that runs a part of a sport. That said, the growing popularity of NASCAR is impossible to dispute.

Relevant link

I thought for sure the way your post started that we were getting ready for "NASCAR IS NOT A SPORT!" version 2326

Nah, NASCAR and its drivers have more than earned their place in the sports landscape, whether I particularly like that or not.

I would imagine a newspaper would have statistics to support that statement, did they? Was it a passing remark in a column?

I'm not totally sure, but it was a "pulled quote" from what appeared to be a badly photocopied article. He initally brought it to my attention based on my unrelenting hatred of all things NASCAR at work.

I'm a fan of soccer myself but it has to be playoff style games in international friendlys or championships like World Cup, UEFA Champions League, etc. I can't watch auto racing for hours waiting for somebody to run into the wall starting a domino effect pile up crash.

What always appealed to me in auto racing is the strategy. The chess game that is played in regards to who will draft with who, when do you pit and what do you do once you get there. The science of getting the right wedge adjustment and the mathmatics of conserving the most fuel while sacrificing minimal speed. Crashing just delays things, go watch a demolition derby if that is what you want.

What always appealed to me in auto racing is the strategy. The chess game that is played in regards to who will draft with who, when do you pit and what do you do once you get there. The science of getting the right wedge adjustment and the mathmatics of conserving the most fuel while sacrificing minimal speed. Crashing just delays things, go watch a demolition derby if that is what you want.

That would apply to F-1 or indy auto racing not to BUSCH/NEXTEL leagues.

I don't care about either sport, but I'll actually watch the World Cup. The most NASCAR that I've ever watched is sitting through highlights on ESPNNEWS while reading the ticker or waiting for an elaboration on a story.

Worldwide though, NASCAR isn't a dot on the map. F1 and other types of that kind of racing are popular, but soccer is one of the most popular, if not THE most popular sport on five of the six habitable continents.

That would apply to F-1 or indy auto racing not to BUSCH/NEXTEL leagues.

It applies to all forms of racing, aside from drag racing obviously. There's always strategy involved in every level of auto racing.

Cautions actually play heavily into those equations as well. Some teams literally set it up with two to four tires with the thought, "We will get another caution".

Soccer I'd imagine has the world by the balls but the only soccer I watch is the World Cup. The rest I cannot stand to watch for more than 10 minutes. Maybe because America still just isn't that good at the game.

I watch the World Cup and some Euro soccer too.

I'll never understand the entertainment in racing... watching cars go around.. and around.. and around.. and around..

and around..

and around..

until the tension gets so high, I have to change the channel

Cautions actually play heavily into those equations as well. Some teams literally set it up with two to four tires with the thought, "We will get another caution".

Soccer I'd imagine has the world by the balls but the only soccer I watch is the World Cup. The rest I cannot stand to watch for more than 10 minutes. Maybe because America still just isn't that good at the game.

I loved catching a game in Brazil, because the announcers just embodied passion. I get back to the States and can't watch it. Brazilians are just so much more aggressive in their game.

Like watching the Suns vs watching The Pistons.

I used to get games from Brazil but that channel was on my C-Band and I no longer have the C-Band. Man, Brazil football compared to American soccer is so god damn night and day.

Granted a loss in Brazil could lead to your death but dammit, that's no excuse for lack of speed and fundmentals on the American side.

I can't watch the MLS, but can watch European Club Soccer. Love international soccer.

Hate oval racing for the most part, but love road racing.

Nothing says passion like GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! from the spanish announce team or Tommy Smyth of ESPN for that matter.

I used to get games from Brazil but that channel was on my C-Band and I no longer have the C-Band. Man, Brazil football compared to American soccer is so god damn night and day.

Granted a loss in Brazil could lead to your death but dammit, that's no excuse for lack of speed and fundmentals on the American side.

The best part about being in Brazil was that whole TOWNS shut down for big games. Vasco/Flamengo would start a civil war, and try doing anything during the Copo Brasileiro and people literally would call you into their homes to watch the games.

The skill level is so great because soccer is ALL the kids do. A 9 year old is already a capable header, can bicycle kick, and perform near perfect crossing passes. Once walking down the street all these kids kept jumping up and down from this stoop to build leg strength, because Ronaldinho did that as a kid.