TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE News and Notes

Oh dear "Wrestling Science 101"

a choke - cuts off the air you breathe, pressure is on the front, on the windpipe and is illegal

a sleeperhold - (supposedly) cuts off the blood circulation to the head by putting pressure on both sides of the neck cutting off the major arteries flowing to and from the head - and is legal in wrestling

Weeelll excuuuuuuse me. LOL. :D I was aware that there was a LITERAL difference between the two, however in WWE where so many liberties are taken with EVERYTHING, I am unsure why a guy like Lawler feels it is so necessary to reiterate that "Wah Wah Taz never beat me because a choke is illegal, whah whah. I refuse to put people over"

Oh dear "Wrestling Science 101"

a choke - cuts off the air you breathe, pressure is on the front, on the windpipe and is illegal

a sleeperhold - (supposedly) cuts off the blood circulation to the head by putting pressure on both sides of the neck cutting off the major arteries flowing to and from the head - and is legal in wrestling

To elaborate on that point, if the wrestler applying the sleeper gets his forearm under the chin and around the throat, the hold is supposed to be broken. I can remember McMahon, in between blurting out "WHATTAMANEUVER!" and "1...2... HE GOT HIM.... oh wait, no he didn't", would actually talk about this, explaining how the referee should check the position of the forearm, "making sure that sleeper isn't a choke hold."

Anybody pissed off about that train wreck of an ECW show last week doing good numbers should keep in mind that the real tell-tale sign is what kind of numbers they do THIS week. There were probably a lot of people tuning in for the first show to see what it was all about. Odds are, a lot probably didn't like what they saw and won't be back this week (or any time in the near future)

That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen, because that's the only way WWE will get the message of just how shit ECW's show was. We all know WWE thinks high ratings= quality, let's hope that myth is dispelled among the top brass this week. They deserve a kick up the arse for producing such rubbish.

Even if the rating isn't good, though, I doubt that the WWE brass and creative will take the heat for the bad rating. They'll just role out the excuse train like they always do and blame someone else for the poor rating like RVD or something.

From wikipedia:

- An air choke or tracheal choke specifically refers to a chokehold that compresses the upper airway (trachea, larynx or laryngopharynx), hence interfering with breathing, and leading to asphyxia.

-A blood choke or carotid restraint specifically refers to a chokehold that compresses one or both carotid arteries and/or the jugular veins without compressing the airway, hence causing cerebral ischemia and a temporary hypoxic condition in the brain.[5] Most chokeholds featured in combat sports and martial arts are blood chokes, although some air chokes or combinations occur as well.

- The terminology used varies. In most martial arts, the term 'chokehold' or 'choke' is used for all types of grappling holds that strangle. This can however be considered misleading since, except for air chokes, there is rarely any actual choking (with choking meaning "to have severe difficulty in breathing because of a constricted or obstructed throat or a lack of air"[7]). In Judo technical terminology, blood chokes are referred to as 'strangleholds' or 'strangles' while air chokes are called 'chokeholds' or 'chokes'.[1] In forensics the term 'strangle' and 'stranglehold' designate any type of neck compression,[2] while being referred to as 'neck holds' in law-enforcement.[8]

Example of an air choke:

Fedor.jpg

Note the forearm against Fujita's throat

Example of a blood choke/strangle:

Choke.jpg

In regards to the "sleeper hold"/mata leao/rear naked choke, it's pretty much impossible to choke someone unconscious without getting an arm beneath the victim's chin, as otherwise you're simply appling a chinlock.

Also, the act of "tapping out" predates MMA, as it's long been a method of surrender used in Judo & Jiu jitsu practice and competition. However, the popularity of the phrase has become pretty much synonymous with both the MMA and the submission wrestling crowd.

Also, the act of "tapping out" predates MMA, as it's long been a method of surrender used in Judo & Jiu jitsu practice and competition. However, the popularity of the phrase has become pretty much synonymous with both the MMA and the submission wrestling crowd.
Very true, tapping has always been a sign of surrender in Judo & Jui Jitsu - probably since each martial art was born (hint: That was a long time ago)

Internally, there is a lot of feeling that the new hired talent either shouldn’t be there or just won’t last, with the Axl Rotten situation backing up the position of those who feel that way.

Why, what happend with Axl?

Internally, there is a lot of feeling that the new hired talent either shouldn’t be there or just won’t last, with the Axl Rotten situation backing up the position of those who feel that way.

Why, what happend with Axl?

No showed three or four times, didn't show up for ONS2, didn't tell them he wouldn't be there and has because left everyone in the dark and left Tommy hanging in the wind.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the Axl situation is what basically caused Tommy to lose most of his power within the new ECW.

Axl and Balls were going to be brought in last year after ONS to be an undercard tag team to replace the Dudleys. Axl blew that chance, one he should have been thankful to get, when he showed up at the arena in 'no condition to perform'. It's not like this is something that should have surprised anybody who knows about Axl and his past.

What's strange here is that a sleeper-hold is far more effective than a choke. (A rear naked choke is actually a sleeper)

It takes a LONG time to knock someone out with a choke, whereas a sleeper hold will take effect in the 5-10 second range.