TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Malkin fled Russia(well actually his team was in Finland), to come to the US.

The Russians can take there Transfer agreement, w hich they refused to sign, and shove it.

:)

That was awfuly bizarre, wasnt it?

Just up and disappears, as tsn.ca put it, passport missing. Something off this reeks of All My Children.

Malkin fled Russia(well actually his team was in Finland), to come to the US.

The Russians can take there Transfer agreement, w hich they refused to sign, and shove it.

:)

That was awfuly bizarre, wasnt it?

Just up and disappears, as tsn.ca put it, passport missing. Something off this reeks of All My Children.

Nothing is bizarre anymore with the whole Malkin saga. It's a never ending rollercoaster, but it makes the off-season fun.

I just want him in a Pens sweater on opening night. If he had to sneak out in the middle of the night....that's fine with me.

Owen Nolan signed a one year deal with Phoenix for 1.7 million.

Even with what, 18 months, of rust, that's a deal. Plus he'll be back with Cujo, which won't hurt. Columbus and Phoenix are my teams to watch this year.

I haven't really heard much about this Malkin guy, but should he play for the Pens this year, how much of an impact will he have on the club?

Is he as good as Oveckhin?

I haven't really heard much about this Malkin guy, but should he play for the Pens this year, how much of an impact will he have on the club?

I don't know how good Ovechkin is defensively. Both are excellent offensive players (Ovechkin was the most explosive player in the NHL last season), about the same size and have the about the same projected career path (franchise players). Ovechkin has a year up on Malkin, but Malkin has the better team around him (whenever he gets there).

I'd say it's a toss-up right now.

It will probably label him as a prick, but it was a good article. I especially liked the Gordon Bombay reference. At least he gave Sinden credit for what he did right...but I'll say that it's refreshing to read a guy with a column on cnnsi (even if nobody I know reads cnnsi) taking shots at a guy that Bruins fans have hated for years.

Malk is better than Oveckhin defensively. As almost everyone in the world wants this guy because he isn't a liability in his own end. Also he got 60ish points in a league that uses only single assists (thus 60=120ish in that league), so he's pretty good offensively.

The talent analysis on Evgeni Malkin, from Hockeysfuture, below. From what it says in the "defensive play" part, it sounds like he's pretty responsible defensively. IIRC, Ovechkin actually got benched (!) a game or two because he was being lazy.

Talent Analysis [Evgeni Malkin]

Skating: A technically sound skater... great balance and lateral movement......very good top speed...above average acceleration... needs to further improve his first step and his aggressiveness.

Shot: Possesses a great slap shot, which is precise with a lot of power and a quick release...possesses a very dangerous wrist shot.

Technical Ability: Has very soft hands – possibly the softest in the 2004 draft...a capable puck handler...a very good stick handler with excellent control.

Face offs: Above average at the face off circle, but needs to gain power to further improve his technique, as he struggles to win face-offs in the Super League (Russia 1) against stronger veteran professionals.

Pass: An superb passer with excellent poise and timing...capable of making quick, precise passes over long distances...also great at making no-look passes...possesses a one unique and very effective move: he leaves the puck behind for another player, while remaining in motion, doing it so deceptively that the opposition often continues to concentrate on him for several seconds.

Hockey Sense: A very mature player...very calm, collected and mentally strong... possesses great vision of the ice...has a great awareness of his linemates, anticipating where they are going to be and making great, sometimes “blind” passes.

Defensive Play: Very responsible in his own zone, with great awareness...uses his slap shot more often then his wrist shot because he often remains closer to the blue line to make sure the defensive zone is covered in the case of a rush the other way...a very good skater backwards...reads the plays very well, intercepting passes, lifting a player’s stick at the right moment...can make a great first pass out of the defensive zone.

Physical Play: Isn’t naturally a physical player, preferring more of a European, technical style of hockey...can take and deliver physical punishment very well, even at the Super League level...great awareness under pressure and is very hard to knock off the puck…even if a body is between him and the puck, he uses his reach and great stick handling ability to direct the puck to a teammate and away from the opponent...fights hard at the boards, but here again, needs to bulk up to be more effective, but already very hard to knock down.

Yes, Malkin does have Canadian Visa. Most are speculating that if he hasn't made his way to the Penguins yet, he's currently hiding out in Toronto, Canada.

It was on tsn.ca, albeit breifly, that he was somewhere with Ovechkin. The fuck?

Well, not in Toronto anyway, as tsn.ca has confirmed, and not just speculated like the Ovechkin thing.

Malkin is a rare breed. I'll just leave it at that. He is great in his own end and dynamite with the puck. Will he be better than Crosby or AO? Who knows, but it's gonna be fun to watch. There is supposed to be some word tomorrow on the whole situation from Malkin and/or his agents. Can't wait for the season to start.

Being a Pens fan through these last 4 years of total sucking is going to pay off, and has already started to(Crosby)...I can't wait. Last thing to do is get the arena situation straightened out.

Watch this video of Malkin...

The goal at the 3:20 ish mark on a PK on a breakaway is just magnificent. *tear*

Also, and while this isn't news per se -

There's still a lot of decent names without a home im four weeks. Leetch, Linden, Carter, Dvorak, Tarnstrom and Daze, you would think, would be able to get in somewhere.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=174477&hubname=

Holy shit. If he makes the team (which I would think he will) the Bruins have their second line winger...and they don't have to trade Brad Stuart. I can't fucking wait for the season now.

Now GET BERGERON SIGNED.

I really don't think this is a smart move on Kessels part.

Kessels will make the team easily. The Bruins aren't that strong right now and frankly even if he wasn't that great, the Bruins won't send him down this season. Its not like there are people can replace him.

And the biggest reason why a lot "big" names haven't found homes is because of the salary cap. A lot of them are gonna hafta lower their prices to get hired because many teams can't afford to dish out a 3-4 million contract to them (that some of them will claim to deserve).

I think most of them will be signed to less than what they are worth on an unrestricted salary market. I think you'll see someone like J.P. Dumont sign probably for way less than his arbitration offer.

I also think that this will impact teams in having cores guys signed multi-years and then a few players floating in and out around the team every year.

Agreed. That spells freakin trouble. The Bruins are a team to watch if this is true (and even if it doesn't happen).

Some guy on gamefaqs said Malkin was in Montreal. And there was a trade being discussed: Malkin to the Habs for Ryder, Souray and Aebischer.

Take that for what its worth.

Considering Malkins in the NHL more or less, I can guarentee that I wouldn't doubt the Penguins considering trade offers of that insanity.

If the trade didn't have Aebischer and it was someone else, I would consider it better than hot watery steam. Although at this time, its hot watery steam.

I'd laugh though if he goes from being a Penguin to any other team after all that he's gone through just to be a Penguin. Would take this surreal story to a whole 'nother level.

There's nothing that the Habs have that could get Malkin. Markov and Samsonov is the only thing near to a deal for him. Malkin is a unique player, and the Penguins don't need depth players and a backup goalie.

No they don't. Which is why I said, if there was someone else (meaning either of those two), I would consider the trade as legit.

Right now, its hot watery steam. And you are right. There's no way Malkin's leaving town, but I do believe the Penguins are probably gonna get some serious offers heading their way.