TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

So, in a move to surely unite non-Leafs fans across the country, Tie Domi today admitted that he'd been cheating on his wife.......

Wait for it...

WITH BELINDA FUCKING STRONACH.

Guest Felonies!
So, in a move to surely unite non-Leafs fans across the country, Tie Domi today admitted that he'd been cheating on his wife.......

Wait for it...

WITH BELINDA FUCKING STRONACH.

How'd he pull that one off? He's Tie Domi, Me Idiot.

Or Michael Strazzobosco.

Seriously, even though I said to some people that I haven't seen Kopitar live, I have. He should have been on the Kings last year. He might even be their best forward right now. He's way better than he should be at this stage.

I just can't wait for the season to start.

So... for those with much more hockey knowledge than I, who are the standout rookies expected to battle for the Calder Cup?

I know of Kessel and Malkin but who are some other names? Also who do they compare to playing style wise?

Anze Kopitar, Gilbert Brule, Patrick O'Sullivan, Alex Radulov and Wojtek Wolski.

Brule is like Theo Fleury, Kopitar is a huge Ron Francis type, and O'Sullivan is a great scorer. The other two I haven't seen as much. I saw the two Kings at practice and in a rookie tournament.

Shea Weber has an outside shot.

So... for those with much more hockey knowledge than I, who are the standout rookies expected to battle for the Calder Cup?

I know of Kessel and Malkin but who are some other names? Also who do they compare to playing style wise?

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/fantasyho..._07_rookies.htm

I didn't feel like typing out all of the names. Not all are guaranteed to make the team (that article was written a few weeks ago) but the top names that are to be considered:

Malkin- I don't really know who he compares to, as I don't really follow/like the Penguins. He's a great player and is to be considered the future of the Penguins (even more than Crosby)

Kessel- TSN called him a cross between Brett Hull and Pat LaFontaine when he was drafted. He doesn't have the mouth of Hull, but he's certainly a very, very good player. I'm still basking in the fact that the Bruins got him.

Penner- Played well in Anaheim and is one of the players expected to up the game offensively.

O'Sullivan- LA stole him from Minnesota in the Demitra trade. He put up, like, 1400 points in the AHL.

also, ladies and germs, yoooooour 2006-07 BOSTON BRUINS~!:

41 Andrew Alberts

11 P.J. Axelsson

37 Patrice Bergeron

26 Brad Boyes

28 Wade Brookbank

33 Zdeno Chara

29 Nathan Dempsey

22 Shean Donovan

32 Jeff Hoggan

68 Milan Jurcina

47 Petr Kalus

81 Phil Kessel

23 Paul Mara

18 Mark Mowers

27 Glen Murray

20 Wayne Primeau

71 Marc Savard

43 Yan Stastny

6 Brad Stuart

45 Mark Stuart

16 Marco Sturm

17 Petr Tenkrat

25 Jason York

30 Tim Thomas

54 Hannu Toivonen

Tenkrat is likely the odd man out of everything.

At GameFaqs over the summer, I called that Malkin would squeak by Kessel in the Calder TROPHY (not Cup, not to sound like a tool),

I'll stick by it even with the six weeks off for Malkin, but I'm also thinking O'Sullivan will be in the running. I really like Brule as well.

At GameFaqs over the summer, I called that Malkin would squeak by Kessel in the Calder TROPHY (not Cup, not to sound like a tool),

If you hadn't said it, I would have. The Calder Cup goes to the AHL champions.

If Malkin's back before the end of October, I have him winning the Calder going away. If not...he'll still win it, but it'll be close.

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

Malkin will likely still win the Calder. There are always suprises, but he is far and away the best rookie, and as long as it's only 10 games or so missed, it won't change anything. Although I don't know if I'd say he's considered the future of the Pens MORE than Crosby is...

Radulov is not a given to make the Predators this year, as talented as he is. It'd be a shame for him to not get top 6 mins, and the Preds already have a ton of wingers with Kariya, Sullivan, Erat, Hartnell, Upshall, and now Dumont, so it's possible/likely that Radulov will go down to Milwaukee unless a trade.

I think Wolski will be fighting for a Calder nomination. He'll likely be playing with Svatos and Arnason on the Avs second line, but I assume he'd get some time with Sakic and Hejduk. He kind of reminds me of Eric Staal a bit.

Along with the Theo Fluery comparison for Brule, I'd add Gilmour. I like him, but I can't imagine him getting more than 55 points max this year, which I don't think is good enough for rookie of the year.

And I think any goalies getting a nomination for the Calder would be a complete surprise, although as mentioned, Toivonen might have an outside shot at it.

Toivonen is very lucky to get classified for the Calder. Because he was 5 games short of losing elligability for it (once you play 25, you get classified as that being your rookie season).

I don't think we'll get a goalie to get nominated though. Unless Toivonen puts up gawdy stats, which I doubt.