TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

5) Ottawa: They scored so much last year, but if you play solid defense on them (as was shown during the playoffs), they ain't going far. Emery's gonna need to play huge and I don't think he can.

Predictions really aren't your forte, are they?

I think Buffalo will win the NE division this year, but I think Ottawa will cement 4th place. You can't deny they've lost some good players and I don't think they've made up for it.

Who have they lost from last year, truly? Chara, of course, and Pothier. But Hasek was injured for the last half of the season (and Emery was more than capable as his regular-season replacement) and Havlat was gone for most of the year with a shoulder injury. They're still a lot better than any team in their division besides Buffalo -- no one can match them offensively. To say they'll finish last is a joke. To say they'll finish fourth is still a bit of a joke.

5) Ottawa: They scored so much last year, but if you play solid defense on them (as was shown during the playoffs), they ain't going far. Emery's gonna need to play huge and I don't think he can.

Predictions really aren't your forte, are they?

I guarentee Ottawa ain't gonna be as good this year as last, but I will admit that 5 is maybe too low.

However they ain't 1 or 2 for their divison that's for sure.

Who have they lost from last year, truly? Chara, of course, and Pothier. But Hasek was injured for the last half of the season (and Emery was more than capable as his regular-season replacement) and Havlat was gone for most of the year with a shoulder injury. They're still a lot better than any team in their division besides Buffalo -- no one can match them offensively. To say they'll finish last is a joke. To say they'll finish fourth is still a bit of a joke.

You apparently didn't read the part where I said you just need to play defensively on them, and you win. The Senators defense is the weakest of its own division and they create stupid turnovers. Just play defensively, wait for the stupid turnovers, and win.

Oh, he meant 5th in the division. I thought we were talking about the conference. It might be a good idea for me to read once in awhile.

Yeah, in that case, I agree with CanadianChris.

You apparently didn't read the part where I said you just need to play defensively on them, and you win. The Senators defense is the weakest of its own division and they create stupid turnovers. Just play defensively, wait for the stupid turnovers, and win.

You mean that defence that was third in the NHL in goals against last year? Worst in their division? Gotcha.

<_< Ok, I admit I don't watch Eastern conference games often enough. Kinda hard when its basically "OMG, YOU MUST WATCH TORONTO OR NO OTHER EASTERN GAMES" on all Canadian channels out West.

...that doesn't take away from the fact that they create stupid turnoevers.

Sure they do. All teams create stupid turnovers -- some more than others, some more spectacularly than others. (Look at last year's Bruins for some great examples.) Generally, Ottawa has had good enough D and good enough goaltending to overcome the majority of their stupid plays.

Incidentally, I have Ottawa finishing second in the Northeast this year. Gerber worries me. Yes, he does.

No way. Calgary's not winning the division. No chance in hell. Tanguay is not THAT big of an improvement. And not when nearly every team last year qualified from the NW and every other team didn't downgrade a lot.

No way. Calgary's not winning the division. No chance in hell. Tanguay is not THAT big of an improvement. And not when nearly every team last year qualified from the NW and every other team didn't downgrade a lot.

Your trippin.

Tanguay is not "THAT big" of an improvement, even though he had more points then any Flames player last year right? They still have a great defense and the best goalie in the world right now, and now that they added someone who can actually pass the puck to Iginla like Conroy did in the past, what makes you think they can't win the divison? They got other players who played alright on offense like Langkow, Lombardi, Huselius, Kobasew, and Yelle was great defensive forward, but what was missing was that key 2nd scorer who can pass the puck well and set up Iginla and they filled that void with Tanguay.

I could see Vancouver winning the divison aswell, but if you really think that Calgary doesn't have a chance to win the divison, then your going to be in for a big time suprise.

Just an update on ticket sales for the Coyotes v. Oilers EXHIBITION game in Winnipeg

Thursday 31 August 2006

Coyotes-Oilers pre-season tilt here a very hot ticket

by Tim Campbell, CanWest News Service

IF you were planning to attend the NHL exhibition game between Phoenix and Edmonton at the MTS Centre Sept. 17, quick action may be required.

True North officials announced yesterday they were pulling the remaining individual tickets from sale to the general public so there will be enough to supply Moose package-holders. Some quick arithmetic and a confirmation with True North spokesman Scott Brown revealed that more than 13,000 tickets have already been sold to the pre-season contest, the fourth to be held in Winnipeg since the city's NHL days.

Brown said that about 800 tickets remain for sale and can now only be purchased in a package that includes two Moose games this fall. The two packages are priced at $139 and $79. The teams and True North have a number of other tickets on hold and those may or may not go on sale at the last minute.

Seats have been available for some time to Moose season-ticket-holders but when the individual-game tickets for the Coyotes-Oilers contest went on sale about two weeks ago, about 5,000 were sold on the first day they were available.

True North chairman Mark Chipman, who's also the Moose governor, said last night he was not surprised at the recent rush on NHL exhibition tickets.

"I thought this game would do well but I wasn't exactly sure how well," Chipman said. "We wouldn't put this game on if we didn't think it would do well and we're delighted with how it's going."

Chipman also said the sales pattern for this game was odd for events staged to date at MTS Centre. When they were all available, tickets were priced at $19, $29, $39, $49, $59, $79, $99 and $119.

"It was interesting to see; we sold the upper bowl first ($19 to $49)," he said. "Then there was a lull in sales, then people started to buy the more expensive tickets, which is kind of the opposite of the way things normally go. The best tickets usually go first.

"In any event, it looks like it's going to be very close, if not completely sold out."

The story -- never mind, how about any mention of the NHL these days -- prompted the usual question of Chipman's future NHL aspirations for the city.

"I don't know," Chipman said. "I'm not surprised at level of interest in this (game). The other three games we've done were well-attended. The NBA game last year here was well-attended.

"Most of the world-class events we've been bringing in have been well-attended. It's not surprising and a positive indication of the interest in the NHL."

NOTES: Fans who were counting on a further dose of NHL flavour from the Coyotes will be disappointed to learn that the team has scrapped its plan to spend a few training-camp days in the city.

I could see Vancouver winning the divison aswell, but if you really think that Calgary doesn't have a chance to win the divison, then your going to be in for a big time suprise.

Vancouver could win the division? I'm going to be as bold as to say that last season's Panthers were, on paper, as good if not better, than what the Canucks will be icing six weeks from now.

Luongo is the answer to Cloutier, which, yes, was the biggest problem for a team that was a legitimate Cup Contender for the last three or four years.

But, problems not withstanding, Bertuzzi still had 70 points last year, and is capable of more as we saw in 2003. More importantly, the dressing room is missing a guy who's been there for six or seven years now, and was part of what was arguably's hockey's best line the last few years.

One of the league's five best defenceman is gone in Jovo. Replacing him is Willie Mitchell, who I like, but is Alexandre Daigle levels of overpaid at 4.5 a year, at least at this time. Anson Carter will not be back, and he's coming off a career year. I do like the Bulis-Sedin combo, but wasn't Bergevin/Sanderson/Carter/Rucinsky supposed to be the perfect complement to the brothers Sedin?

Don't get me wrong, there's no reason to think that Vancouver will miss the playoffs by a mile...But I don't seem them even remotely challenging for the Northwest Crown.

I agree with CG. Luongo could have helped them win the division the past two or three seasons, with all the talent they had, but not now.

I like Calgary to run away with the Northwest. I don't think anyone else is close.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/9792451/detail.html

Mark Bell introduces himself to San Jose.

What a fucking waste.

Well, he hasn't been indicted yet, and thankfully no one's hurt, but for Christ's sake. Reread the last line of the tsn.ca article, in which they talk of his community service and 'upstanding citizen' awards.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/9792451/detail.html

Mark Bell introduces himself to San Jose.

What a fucking waste.

Well, he hasn't been indicted yet, and thankfully no one's hurt, but for Christ's sake. Reread the last line of the tsn.ca article, in which they talk of his community service and 'upstanding citizen' awards.

Wow, that's hard to believe. He was a real character guy when he was here in Ottawa with the 67s. He was a huge part of the Memorial Cup team in 1999.

Your trippin.

Apparently you hadn't heard. Its called "flipping a bike". A most wonderful experience. The getting faceplanted that is. No tripping required and its all the rage these days.

Tanguay is not "THAT big" of an improvement, even though he had more points then any Flames player last year right?

I believe this right here makes my argument for me. If he's got more points than any player on the team, does not say something getting a player like Tanguay will barely make a dent and that there is something more wrong with your scoring woes than just "oh we need one guy to be special".

They still have a great defense and the best goalie in the world right now, and now that they added someone who can actually pass the puck to Iginla like Conroy did in the past, what makes you think they can't win the divison?

The fact they can't score and likely still won't with the style of hockey they play (like New Jersey, just sit on a lead). The guy they hired to help them has more points than their 7 million dollar player (and why in the hell IS Iginla paid 7 million?), and frankly only adds 28 goals; when they needed someone who can SCORE not just pass.

They got other players who played alright on offense like Langkow, Lombardi, Huselius, Kobasew, and Yelle was great defensive forward, but what was missing was that key 2nd scorer who can pass the puck well and set up Iginla and they filled that void with Tanguay.

Key word: score. It is something that Tanguay doesn't do nearly as much as Calgary needs. Yes, yes, 28 goals is nothing to sneeze at. But excuse me, Edmonton has one Joffery Lupul who costs less and allows for other parts to be had and had just as many goals. Yes, you needed an assister, but frankly you need to find a budding second scorer who well... Scores. Cause all Tanguay's gonna be doing right now is setting them up, and frankly that's not going to be enough.

I'm using you in the general way. Because typing out Calgary all the time is getting annoying.

They just lost Jovo and Bertuzzi in a division that had each team downgrade next to nothing in terms of talent. They'll be lucky to get by the damned Wild for 4th.

I believe this right here makes my argument for me. If he's got more points than any player on the team, does not say something getting a player like Tanguay will barely make a dent and that there is something more wrong with your scoring woes than just "oh we need one guy to be special".

We needed a set up man to compliment Iginla. Our passing game was the biggest need of improvement, everyone knew that, all the NHL experts agreed with it, you seem the only real one I've seen that doesn't. Craig Conroy was the player in 2003-2004, and after he left that void needed to be fill, and Tanguay is better then Conroy(offensively).

The fact they can't score and likely still won't with the style of hockey they play (like New Jersey, just sit on a lead). The guy they hired to help them has more points than their 7 million dollar player (and why in the hell IS Iginla paid 7 million?), and frankly only adds 28 goals; when they needed someone who can SCORE not just pass.

We have forwards and defenseman(Dion Phanuef) who can score goals, he had a ton players who had 20 goal seasons last year. The problem was giving Iginla the puck, and even then Iginla still had 35 goals that season without a playmaker to set him up. And for the record Tanguay had 29 goals, and adding that with his passing game certainly helps out the Flames. And why is Iginla paid 7 million? Dumbest question of all time. He's paid that money because HE'S WORTH IT. He's franchise player who can put the puck in the net, play good defense, make critical body checks and he can lead a team. He's an Art Ross trophy winner, and a 2 time Maurice Richard trophy winner. That was almost as stupid as you trying to convince everyone that the Falcons needed to get Deion Branch. Not to mention he was playing great for the Flames, when we SUCKED for years, and even then STILL stuck with the team when he could've left and made more money with a contender like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Key word: score. It is something that Tanguay doesn't do nearly as much as Calgary needs. Yes, yes, 28 goals is nothing to sneeze at. But excuse me, Edmonton has one Joffery Lupul who costs less and allows for other parts to be had and had just as many goals. Yes, you needed an assister, but frankly you need to find a budding second scorer who well... Scores. Cause all Tanguay's gonna be doing right now is setting them up, and frankly that's not going to be enough.

We had 4 players with 20+ goals seasons(not including Iggy), finding a second goal scorer(which will problay be Tanguay, but if you ) will not be a problem. Finding a guy to set up our goal scorers WAS a problem. Langkow lead all players in assists with an amazing 35 assits. Lupul may have had 28 goals but he had 25 assists, getting him instead of Tanguay who had 49 asissts last year? No way.

You say Calgary have "no chance" to win the divison, that makes you ignorant. Your the only person to say that. Clearly you might've been overreacting with that statement, but whatever, I'll bring your post up at the end of next season when Calgary takes the divison.

First of all, let me apologize right off the bat. My last post wasn't the greatest because I was still feeling like shit after wrecking myself in my bike crash. Not good enough excuse, and frankly I'm not trying to use it as one, just apologizing for trying to make it sound like "I'm right, you are wrong" which it does come across as such. Not what I meant to do.

We needed a set up man to compliment Iginla. Our passing game was the biggest need of improvement, everyone knew that, all the NHL experts agreed with it, you seem the only real one I've seen that doesn't. Craig Conroy was the player in 2003-2004, and after he left that void needed to be fill, and Tanguay is better then Conroy(offensively).

I'm not saying he won't be able to help you at all. But frankly you need another person who can score besides Iginla. And yes, Tanguay does score, but you more need a secondary pure scorer to help you out. Yes, he'll help out Iginla, but you need someone who can score and take the pressure off of Iginla, which you don't have.

Its like how Edmonton currently needs some defensive help. Sure we'll win games and be in the hunt, but without another Pronger like precense on defense, we aren't gonna go far. I'm not suggesting someone needs to be like Pronger, but we need someone to step up and play that extra defense.

We have forwards and defenseman(Dion Phanuef) who can score goals, he had a ton players who had 20 goal seasons last year. The problem was giving Iginla the puck, and even then Iginla still had 35 goals that season without a playmaker to set him up. And for the record Tanguay had 29 goals, and adding that with his passing game certainly helps out the Flames.

I was off by a goal, and you needed to correct that? Geezus... ^_^;; Still, pretty terrible I botched that. Concerning hockey stats, I usually rarely screw up.

Anyways, yes, I know the Flames have guys who had scored twenty. That Phaneuf (who is gonna be awesome), Langkow (who plays with Iginla), Huselius, and Kobasew. What I was talking about was more of is one of these guys either needs to step up on line 2 to make it a threat or you need to find someone who can. And frankly looking at the potentials for your second line, doesn't do anything to make me think Iginla will be relieved of any pressure. By relieving pressure, I'm talking about stepping it up and score 25+ goals. I don't think Kobasew or Huselius will be able to do so. Phaneuf, sure he'll repeat, but he'll also be playing mostly with line one if I'm not mistaken so again, the drop in talent from line one to line two is gonna be huge.

That's my problem with Calgary's offense, I don't think the rest of the team can show up. If they do, then well, fuck. You guys are Stanley Cup bound for sure.

And why is Iginla paid 7 million? Dumbest question of all time. He's paid that money because HE'S WORTH IT. He's franchise player who can put the puck in the net, play good defense, make critical body checks and he can lead a team. He's an Art Ross trophy winner, and a 2 time Maurice Richard trophy winner.

Not to mention he was playing great for the Flames, when we SUCKED for years, and even then STILL stuck with the team when he could've left and made more money with a contender like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

No he's not. A person who's paid that much money should be able to do better than what he has to be paid that. But that's more my own symantics against the overpaying of players. It wasn't meant as a slap to the Flames, just personal preference.

And did I ever question his loyalty? No. So please don't bring it up like I am. As I said, I don't like overpaying a player and Iginla doesn't strike me as a seven million dollar a season type of player. Especially when my own team has players who put up nearly as much for cheaper.

That was almost as stupid as you trying to convince everyone that the Falcons needed to get Deion Branch.

Look, I only seriously got into NFL about 3-4 years ago, so I don't know all that much concerning cap problems and the financial aspects concerning teams, so I didn't realize it was financially impossible. Still doesn't mean it isn't a bad idea in terms of putting actual talent in front of all those rookies and give Vick a target that has some experience.

...but that's not here or now, and frankly if you want to continue digging this up, put it back where it belongs to be discussed, which is in the NFL thread. This is about the NHL.

We had 4 players with 20+ goals seasons(not including Iggy), finding a second goal scorer(which will problay be Tanguay, but if you ) will not be a problem.

I'm saying you need another pure scorer to go along on the second line. If Tanguay is gonna be on line 1, which he will be, there isn't gonna be a presense on the next line down to relieve Iggy. That's what I'm trying to get at. While yes, a playmaker is what you need to help Iggy, you need someone to relieve that pressure that he's receiving.

Finding a guy to set up our goal scorers WAS a problem. Langkow lead all players in assists with an amazing 35 assits. Lupul may have had 28 goals but he had 25 assists, getting him instead of Tanguay who had 49 asissts last year? No way.

I use Lupul as an example of a pure scorer who was cheap so that you could still go out and while not picking up the contract baggage of Tanguay, still getting a good playmaker for Iginla.

Also Lupul played on the third line of Anaheim all of last season putting up those numbers and his numbers grew from the year before. I would take someone like that over Tanguay who's peaked.

You say Calgary have "no chance" to win the divison, that makes you ignorant. Your the only person to say that. Clearly you might've been overreacting with that statement, but whatever, I'll bring your post up at the end of next season when Calgary takes the divison.

Yes, I overreacted to saying no chance in hell, because Calgary can and I wouldn't doubt be in the thick of things. But as I said, I see everyone in the NW in the hunt and frankly I don't think Calgary's gonna win it if you guys don't have someone else who can relieve the pressure that Iginla's still gonna receive.

This is assuming you guys tag Tanguay with Iginla all season, which seems to be the plan.