TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Buffalo passed on JP Dumonts arbitration salary making him a free agent.

Logistically they had no choice.

That's the penalty for building a team of 20 + goal scorers instead of one line of 35 +.

Also...the arbitrator was insane.

The Blackhawks have signed Sebastien Caron for one year. I don't get this. Caron was a starter (albeit on a shitty Pittsburgh team), ergo he could start on a less than stellar Hawks team.

That is, if suddenly so-so starters Lalime and the untradeable Khabibulin werent already signed.

Legace is in St. Louis. Detroit, Edmonton and LA are supposedly the teams interested in Dumont.

Desjardins to announce retirement

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Eric Desjardins, the second-highest scoring defenseman in team history, will retire this week.

Flyers spokesman Zack Hill said Wednesday that Desjardins will make an official announcement Thursday.

A two-time All-Star, Desjardins' 17-year career was slowed by injuries in recent seasons. He played in only 45 games last season and 48 games two years ago and was not offered a contract by the Flyers this summer.

Desjardins, a seven-time winner of the team's most outstanding defenseman award, had surgery last season to repair a partially dislocated right shoulder and missed 29 games. He missed the 2004 playoffs with a broken arm.

Desjardins spent the last 11 seasons with the Flyers after he was acquired from Montreal in a 1995 deal that also brought John LeClair to Philadelphia. Desjardins had 396 points with the Flyers behind only defenseman Mark Howe's 480.

Desjardins finishes his career with 136 goals, 439 assists and 575 points in 1,143 career games. He was eighth in career games played with the Flyers with 738. He won the Stanley Cup with Montreal in 1993.

Guest Felonies!

I thought Sinden just said he had no plans of retiring. Oh well. I don't care.

He didn't really "retire" as much as he gave up his position as team president to Chiarelli. Sinden will stay on as a senior advisor to the elder Jacobs.

Some of your keys not working today max?

Not a bad pickup. Although we need more defensive upgrades, having the firepower stocked up isn't a bad idea other, if you can't stock up on the defensive side of things.

I figured that since he leaves the second 'e' in 'Peter" off, i'd leave off some (all) of the vowels.

Just me being WACKY, I suppose.

I'm kind of surprised the Bruins weren't even mildly interested in him. I know most fans are darkening the penciling of Kessel at the second line wing, but to have a veteran guy who can score in there would certainly help. Then again, considering that Sykora doesn't play anything remotely resembling defense, I'm kind of glad Chiarelli stayed away.

What...? I can't pick on someone for doing something wacky? Aw...

We've got enough guys on the team that I'm confident we don't need Sykora playing this thing known as defense.

While a d-man should have topped the Oil's list, this is not a train wreck. Sykora only helps.

I mean, this is more or less the same team from the last season before the lockout, with a seemingly established goalie, a little more depth, and a legitimate leader in Smyth.

What...? I can't pick on someone for doing something wacky? Aw...

We've got enough guys on the team that I'm confident we don't need Sykora playing this thing known as defense.

While a d-man should have topped the Oil's list, this is not a train wreck. Sykora only helps.

I mean, this is more or less the same team from the last season before the lockout, with a seemingly established goalie, a little more depth, and a legitimate leader in Smyth.

Geezus... What is with everyone and going overboard with what I say?

I'm saying we've got the defense established already so that Sykora really doesn't hafta play defense all that much. Although while everyone says he'll be replacing Samsonov, I don't think he will.

I think we're sorta stuck with our defensemen as is unless we move some of the rookies up. Then again, considering we're likely bringing up Schremp and Syvet, most likely we'll be offering some people up in a trade to get a d-man, I would think.

And hopefully we sign Lopul soon. Not sure what's taking us so long on that one.

By that your referencing the team that finished 9th in the West and missed the playoffs?

Petr Sykora sucks, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. There's a reason that the Ducks didn't want him.

By that your referencing the team that finished 9th in the West and missed the playoffs?

Yes, but by a point. And that team in 8 was Vancouver, which won't happen by a longshot. The difference in net will more than make up that point., as well as Smyth and Horcoff becoming established.

Yes, but by a point. And that team in 8 was Vancouver, which won't happen by a longshot. The difference in net will more than make up that point., as well as Smyth and Horcoff becoming established.

Better brush up on this standings. Vancouver was actually 3rd. Edmonton finished 9th, 2 points behind both Nashville and St. Louis. I'm not making the argument that Vancouver, Nashville and St. Louis will all make the playoffs or that Edmonton will miss them, but Edmonton wasn't all that strong in 2003-2004.

Better brush up on this standings. Vancouver was actually 3rd. Edmonton finished 9th, 2 points behind both Nashville and St. Louis. I'm not making the argument that Vancouver, Nashville and St. Louis will all make the playoffs or that Edmonton will miss them, but Edmonton wasn't all that strong in 2003-2004.

That's right. Vancouver won the game to eliminate the Oilers. I love crack.

However, I'll defend my previous statement that Edmonton won't be the train wreck they're being forecast as. Edmonton wasn'tall that strong in 2003-2004, fair enough. But they were still a decent team,(essentially the same team now) and Roloson, Smyth and Sykora will make up that difference to get the Oil back into the show, IMHO.

We'll probably be #8 again this year. Just not going as far, unless Syvet becomes a stud on defense instantly and Schremp turns in the next Gretz.

Honestly, we'll be in contention for making the playoffs, and that's all I ask of a team that really did overachieve last year by making the Cup finals. Everyone expects them not to make the playoffs, because they are overblowing the overachieving the whole team did and saying it was all Pronger.

It wasn't just all Pronger. Roloson started playing like a #1 (or better, he played like Fuhr) , the rest of the defense showed up, Pisani finally came into his own (and hopefully STAYS there), as well as everyone else stepped up. That's more or less what's gonna make the difference next year. Is if Roloson can still play like he did, if Pisani shows up to play, and frankly if everyone else takes their game to a new level.

And what the fuck is taking the Oilers so long in signing Lopul? I mean, this should've been done right off the bat.

Malkin fled Russia(well actually his team was in Finland), to come to the US.

The Russians can take there Transfer agreement, w hich they refused to sign, and shove it.

:)