TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Philly could use one, seeing as the capable but yet to prove himself Nittymaki is on a one year deal, which basically means under Clarke "Fuck you if you don't win 30 games".

How much is Legace going for? He was a perfect back-up to Hasek/Cujo in the sense that he could win when asked and didn't mind being on the bench. Is he ready for it? Granted, I could play goalie for the Wings and win, but can he assume a starting role? I think he can, but GM's around the league might think otherwise.

I'll say that he's the best goalie still on the market, ultimately. Nabakov and Giguere might price themselves out of the market. How much is Giguere asking? It's gotta be a tonne if they're leaning towards "More Goals than Vowels".

Philly could use one, seeing as the capable but yet to prove himself Nittymaki is on a one year deal, which basically means under Clarke "Fuck you if you don't win 30 games".

How much is Legace going for? He was a perfect back-up to Hasek/Cujo in the sense that he could win when asked and didn't mind being on the bench. Is he ready for it? Granted, I could play goalie for the Wings and win, but can he assume a starting role? I think he can, but GM's around the league might think otherwise.

I'll say that he's the best goalie still on the market, ultimately. Nabakov and Giguere might price themselves out of the market. How much is Giguere asking? It's gotta be a tonne if they're leaning towards "More Goals than Vowels".

Giguere isn't a free agent. If you're wondering Giguere will be making about 3 million this season and then will be eligible for FA I think. Brian Burke will probably keep both goalies and the see what his options are. We have three good minor league goalies. I tell you one thing though. Giguere better win a shootout this season.

I completely discounted the fact that Anaheim has one of the smartest men in the history of hockey in the GM office. As for the Giguere UFA comment, I fucked up, I fucked up. Any idea what they'll trade him for, as you hinted? They've got a pretty solid team all around, leadership, young talent. My guess would be a scorer with a hint of grit to replace Lupul, which isn't quite McDonald, but could be Perry or Getzlaf. I'm genuinely afraid of Anaheim this year.

Speaking of Perry and Getzlaf, how fucking good was Canada at the 2004 U-21's? Fleury, Richards, Carter, Crosby...That's a sick team.

Edit: I didn't mention Esche in Philly. But I guess he's in the same, or at least a similar boat, to Nittymaki. Even if I'm wrong, Clarke's ensuing insanity bails me out.

I know this is a little late, but Redbaron you know nothing about hockey. It's cool you like Montreal but seriously... you'd want KEN FUCKING KLEE to play defense and make Francis Boullion play forward... GENIUS!

He's on his own about Bouillon. That being said, Klee in Montreal isnt that bad at all. Since a few years ago when we needed a powerplay quarterback due to Souray's injuries, we've kind of overdone it since then, with a now pressing need for a better stay-at-home. Klee can also kill penalties.

243 GF, 247 GA. Klee on my blueline doesn't sound that bad.

As I said though, Scuba, you're on your own as to how to make it work. Cut him a little slack, meanie, as this thread is often a pretty big game of Fantasy Hockey anyway.

Speaking of Perry and Getzlaf, how fucking good was Canada at the 2004 U-21's? Fleury, Richards, Carter, Crosby...That's a sick team.

Umm, you do realize that there was a 2005 WJC with basically all of 2004's best performers back, a year older and that much better, while adding guys like Barker (sort of), Weber, Perry, Ladd and Bergeron, right? The 2004 team was good but was never great (a lot to do with the youthfulness and lack of quality '84's) while the 2005 team was in all likelihood the best under-20 team ever assembled.

2004 & 2005

Belle

Coburn

Phaneuf

Seabrook

Carter

Colliton

Crosby

Dawes

Dixon

Getzlaf

Richards

Stewart

Fleury

Harding

Gorges

Klein

Meech

Brent

Burns

Paille

Talbot

Tambellini

Beauchemin

Glass

Barker

Syvret

Weber

Bergeron

Fraser

Ladd

MacCarthur

Perry

I say if Giguere get traded, Burke will try for a top six forward or some prospects.

With the market that's been set, the best they'll get is a decent prospect or two, or an overpaid top six guy. Also, Giguere is making 4 million dollars next season and is a free agent next offseason. Good luck getting someone useful.

Also, Buffalo inked Tim Connolly and Vitali Vishnevski got 1.55 million in arbitration. It's easy to tell which GM's know how to make their case, and Lamoriello and Burke know how.

I say if Giguere get traded, Burke will try for a top six forward or some prospects.

With the market that's been set, the best they'll get is a decent prospect or two, or an overpaid top six guy. Also, Giguere is making 4 million dollars next season and is a free agent next offseason. Good luck getting someone useful.

Man I wan Sergei Fedorov back!

I just checked, you're right. Giguere is going to make 3,990,000 this season.

Florida will probably need another goalie when the Ed Belfour experience is over.

Considering all things this off-season, Oilers aren't doing too bad. I think we'll be in prime position for another playoff run, but without Pronger, even I'm skeptical that we'll make it far.

However, getting someone like Lupul so that he can play with Hemsky will be awesome. Now Hemsky can just sit back and pass to Lupul and we'll have a new scoring tandum. Toss in Stoll or Horcoff and we're doing good.

I hope we bring up Schremp. He deserves a shot finally.

Defense isn't too bad, but we'll need people stepping up to play better than they did last year.

I think that's fair. Edmonton isn't exactly a train wreck, despite the losses. It's still basically the same team that got into the playoffs last year save Pronger and Peca. And Pisani broke out in the playoffs, Smyth has come into his own, Hemsky and Stoll and Horcoff all look good. The blue-line looks a little thin, but losing Pronger will do that to anyone. And it appears they finally have an established goalie in Roloson, which had been the biggest problem since Cujo left for Hogtown(Can anyone else believe that was eight years ago already?)

They're still fairly green, even with last season's spring success, and it's tough to envision another Cinderella show again. But if Smyth is the leader he appears, then I don't see sixth or seventh being a problem.

Yeah, Smyth is a true blue Oiler and I really hope he'll lead our team back to a real Stanley Cup win sometime soon cause he is getting up there in years for a hockey player and of all people I want to see him get one. Even if he had to leave for another team, I would understand.

But yeah, we're not exactly that bad off. Addition of the third line Samsonov replacement in Lupul is a good thing. Especially since he'll be playing on Line 1 I'm sure.

The problem with Boullion is his size since he does not have the same skill level as Neidermyer or any other smaller defencemen. He can play a gritty checking winger though.

It's official:

Hasek is back in Detroit, says tsn.ca

I had a feeling that is where he would end up. Hasek is solid in the regular season, but I don't know about Detroit's chances in the postseason if Hasek is the guy they lean on.

It's official:

Hasek is back in Detroit, says tsn.ca

I had a feeling that is where he would end up. Hasek is solid in the regular season, but I don't know about Detroit's chances in the postseason if Hasek is the guy they lean on.

He'll be fine as long as he doesn't get hurt. That's the only thing the Wings need to worry about. Granted, though, there's a pretty good chance of that happening.

I'm not surprised. It was the most logical place for him to end up.

So, the question now is: Where does Manny Legace go?

I haven't heard of any teams interested in him. Kind of surprising.

Guest Princess Leena

Ugh, I wish Dom would just hang it up. Has he even played half of a season since the first year after leaving Buffalo.

The one thing that I like about Dom is when he runs out to meet the player on a breakaway. I hope I get to see that at Staples, because that's one of the more exciting things to watch.

Guest Princess Leena

Indeed, I loved when he always did that with the Sabres. And he'd always cheat by throwing the stick. Worked almost every time too, surprisingly.

I've read and heard that Legace priced himself out of the places that needed a starter. He went in essentially demanding to start and a salary of ~3+ million per season.

max, you're a Bruins fan - what's your stance on the "Leetch might come back to Boston" rumors?!? Personally, I think the D is stacked without him, and he'd just impair the development of the young D-men like Stuart or Jurcina or Alberts.

Unless he's willing to come here for the vet minimum and play 5/6 D-man minutes, I'd rather the team let him walk.

Let him walk.

The defense is fine without him:

Chara-B. Stuart

Mara-Alberts

Jurcina-M. Stuart

Plus there were a few depth signings (York, Dempsey) who can be slotted in. I wish Leetch the best, but his presence not needed as much as the money that he would get.

Who's left that really needs a goalie? Maybe the Islanders and St. Louis. I think we've seen the last of big name goalies signed this summer with Hasek and Joseph back up.

Who's left that really needs a goalie? Maybe the Islanders and St. Louis. I think we've seen the last of big name goalies signed this summer with Hasek and Joseph back up.

I suppose those are the only two. I think there is a good possibility he could end up in St. Louis.

So, Eugune Melnyk is facing charges of insider trading.

Wonderful.

You know, it's kind of ironic, in that I always expected Rod Bryden to be brought up on charges like that. He was always trying to peddle "creative" financial deals.