TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

It is confirmed that the Big E is in the Big D.

Anson Carter will not return to Vancouver

Carter wants $9 million over three years. Toronto was said to be interested, but if they sign Michael Peca they may not have the cap room to offer Carter a deal.

I don't think Carter's going to get that deal he's looking for.

If he's willing to take ~2 million, I wouldn't mind him on second line on the left side with Savard and Murray. He is capable defensively, which would make him the best defensive player on that line.

2/4.2 million (2.1 against the cap) would be my only offer.

Carter's been trashed in the media by one team that's talked to him, and it's nearly killed his value. Said GM said that he's worthless without the Sedins, and that he doesn't deserve half of what he's getting.

Carter's been trashed in the media by one team that's talked to him, and it's nearly killed his value. Said GM said that he's worthless without the Sedins, and that he doesn't deserve half of what he's getting.

psst...that was Lombardi.

I think it's true. Carter's the black Glen Murray. Without a good passing forward his offense is...kind of...nonexistant.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=171565

Leafs Agree to deal with Peca

TSN.ca with CP files

7/17/2006 9:23:47 PM

Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs are expected to announce the signing of veteran centre Mike Peca on Tuesday.

Peca is believed to have agreed to a one-year, 2.5-million dollar contract.

The Canadian Press reports that the Leafs and Peca have been courting each other for well over a week with both camps agreeing Toronto is a good fit for the 11-year NHL centre.

The 32-year-old Toronto native, a two-time Selke Trophy winner as the NHL's top defensive forward, makes his off-season home in Buffalo, making Toronto an ideal geographical location.

Peca, who earned $3.99 million US last season in Edmonton, rebounded with a strong second half and terrific playoff after a slow start to the regular season. He put up six goals, five assists and a plus-5 rating in 24 playoff games, winning key faceoffs and killing penalties, while centring a line between Fernando Pisani and Raffi Torres that was instrumental in the Oilers' magical run. He had nine goals and 14 assists in 71 regular-season games.

In Toronto, Peca fills one of the voids left by centres Jason Allison and Eric Lindros, the latter signing with Dallas on Monday. Allison, also an unrestricted free agent, isn't expected back with the Leafs.

Peca, who has 394 career points (160-234) in 693 regular-season games with Vancouver, Buffalo, the New York Islanders and Edmonton, was traded to Edmonton from the Islanders last Aug. 3 in exchange for forward Mike York and a fourth-round pick in last Saturday's entry draft.

Peca, a junior star with the Ottawa 67's, was also a member of Team Canada's 2002 Olympic champion team in Salt Lake City.

Some don't like it, but I think this is an actual solid signing for the Leafs. If there's one thing the Leafs could use, it's a solid defensive forward.

Guest Felonies!

Will Toronto ever allow the Maple Leafs to rebuild with young players?

They just killed the development of two good, young centers in Stajan and Wellwood. Way to go!

Will Toronto ever allow the Maple Leafs to rebuild with young players?

Not with John Ferguson, Jr. as GM. He's in the last year of his contract. I'm sure he thinks nothing of stunting their development for a run to the second round of the playoffs next season.

I'm no fan of JFJ, or the Leafs off-season thus far, but I like this signing. Call me crazy.

The Leafs 2nd line centre spot is up for grabs, likely to be taken by Wellwood (who can play wing too). Peca can take Stajan under his wing and teach him some things about winning faceoffs and defensive coverage, which certainly won't hurt.

OK, a look at the forward lineup right now. I think Jeff O'Neill will be given another shot at playing on the 1st/2nd line.

Antropov - Sundin - Tucker (Antropov on the top line by default, ugh)

Steen - Wellwood - O'Neill

Stajan - Peca - Ponikarovsky

Ondrus - Pohl - Kilger (Some fourth line!)

Hey, it looks to me like young forwards will be key players for the Leafs this season. Too bad we had to sign Hal Gill and trade our top goalie prospect for Andrew f'n Raycroft! F'n Bruins castoffs.

neil smith is out as the gm on the island. man, ted nolan went to work early. he successfully got his gm fired, too. in a month no less. maybe smith quit? doubtful.

He probably said something about Wang's involvement with the team.

HAHAHA Garth Snow is their GM. He's still a player on the fucking team!

He probably said something about Wang's involvement with the team.

HAHAHA Garth Snow is their GM. He's still a player on the fucking team!

Garth f'n Snow is their GM?! Holy shit.

Obviously the fun didn't stop when Milbury left the GM post.

In related news, the Knicks fired Isiah Thomas and replaced him with Stephon Marbury.

more like replacing him with malik rose.

garth snow better be a better gm than back-up goalie. this is all too funny, though. the islanders are rapidly becoming my favorite team.

The Islanders are making a hard run at Worst Franchise in Sports.

Second is allready there, its going to be impossible to catch up to the Blackhawks, unless Wirtz decides to do something.

The Islanders are making a hard run at Worst Franchise in Sports.

Second is allready there, its going to be impossible to catch up to the Blackhawks, unless Wirtz decides to do something.

The only way the Blackhawks improve is if Wirtz clutches his chest and falls face-first into a plate of lasagna.

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - The Carolina Hurricanes acquired forward Scott Walker from Nashville in exchange for centre Josef Vasicek on Tuesday, giving the Stanley Cup champions a veteran scoring threat to help replace departed free agent Matt Cullen.

The Hurricanes also brought back former draft pick Shane Willis, signing the right winger to a one-year contract.

The 33-year-old Walker was the Predators' career scoring leader with 247 points and was the last player on the team who played on opening night for the expansion franchise in 1998. Former captain Greg Johnson was allowed to leave in free agency.

Carolina president and general manager Jim Rutherford said the addition of Walker makes the Hurricanes a faster, more versatile team because he can play right wing, allowing newcomer Trevor Letowski to shift to centre.

"We've had (Vasicek) a long time. He's been a good player for us, but when you have the chance to get a guy like Scotty Walker ... we feel we upgraded our team because he can do so many things," Rutherford said.

The deal makes the Hurricanes a little older - Vasicek is 25 - but will leave them in virtually the same financial position after the season. Walker is in the final year of a three-year contract that will pay him $1.52 million US, while Vasicek was entering the final season of a two-year deal that will pay him $1.3 million.

Rutherford said Walker could be a 30-goal scorer who helps replace the speed lost when Cullen signed a four-year, $11.2 million deal with the New York Rangers. Cullen had 25 goals in the regular season and two assists against the Edmonton Oilers in Game 7 of the Cup finals.

The deal ends Vasicek's stay with the franchise that drafted him eight years ago. The six-foot-five, 214-pound forward was a key part of the team's surprising run to the Stanley Cup finals in 2002 and led the team with 19 goals and 45 points in 2003-04, but a knee injury limited him to nine points and 23 regular-season games this year.

Walker, a five-foot-10, 196-pound right wing, was limited to 16 points in 33 games this season with a strained groin that needed surgery, but Rutherford said the player was "totally healthy" and that a change of scenery could benefit both players.

Trade talks with the Predators heated up after the Hurricanes' flurry of free-agent signings, he said.

"Once we got everybody signed, we took a look to see where we could make our team better," Rutherford said.

In another deal, the Hurricanes signed Willis to a deal that will pay him $450,000 if he makes the team and $115,000 if he is sent to the team's AHL affiliate in Albany. The contract also contains $150,000 in guaranteed money for Willis, who played in Europe last season.

The deal allows Willis to return to the team that drafted him in 1997 and traded him to the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2002. He has 31 goals and 43 assists in 174 career games with Carolina and Tampa Bay.

I like this trade. Vasicek has some potential, but I don't know if he'll ever reach it. Walker is someone who was a proven scorer in Nashville and someone who can hopefully thrive in our up-tempo system.

lafontaine is jumping off of the island. dont blame him either. the islanders are such a train wreck now. yesterday they had potential. now they're a joke. again. whats next? brendan witt asking to rescind the contract he signed?