TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

They're not in a position to be offering 5 million to anyone right now. Especially since they need to get their RFA's signed. Boyes and Bergeron are thankfully being patient and waiting for Chiarelli to get released from his Ottawa captors so that he can run negotiations with them.

Shanahan is allegedly down to six teams. Kings, Bruins, Wings, Blues, and two others. Most of them are offering him the same contract. I just hope he doesn't pick the Bruins...

I hate what Ottawa's doing to Chiarelli. During the draft, you could tell that he didn't want to be at their table at all.

Montreal's one of the two looking at Shanahan.

I hate what Ottawa's doing to Chiarelli. During the draft, you could tell that he didn't want to be at their table at all.

Can you blame him? He's likely not figuring into whatever Muckler has done this off-season, they don't trust him with their cap since he'll be moving to a divisional rival and he's probably not sitting in on any contract extension meetings. So why keep him? Just a real unprofessional way of handling it by Ottawa. Take the pick and let him move on. They managed to take a fucking SECOND ROUNDER in next year's draft. Ugh.

I hope the Bruins are really able to put the screws to Ottawa next year as a bit of payback.

Couple of quick Bruins thoughts:

Shanahan: The fact that the B's are even considering signing him just reeks of the old-guard trying to injerject their two cents. I can just picture Jacobs & Sinden sitting on a conference call and wondering who Savard is, and why they needed to pay such big bucks for a tall defenseman when they already had Good Ol' Gill right here in Boston. "Sign me a player that I've heard of, Harry!" and next thing you know the B's are up to their old tricks and overpaying for older players (Coffey, Leetch, Zhamnov, I'm looking at you). Offer him 1 year at $3.5 million, and when he says no, wish him good luck. If they do pull the trigger on the 2 year/$9.8 million deal, it will take away a lot of the positive momentum that the team's built this offseason.

Chiarelli: I'm stunned at the Sens' decision to be ball-busters about this. The league has always had a "gentlemen's agreement" to allow personnel to leave for a better offer ... and now the Sens decide to play hardball. And like max said, all for a 2nd round pick!?! My biggest fear is that this will start a little front office rivalry, and then if/when the B's young players (e.g. Bergeron, Boyes) hit the market, the Sens will offer deals that the B's can't match. And after the Lapointe fiasco, the last thing I want is the Bruins front office to get into a pissing match with another team.

Mowers: Why did the B's feel the need to sign a 4th liner when they still had RFAs to sign, and more important players to extend?!?

Couple of quick Bruins thoughts:

Shanahan: The fact that the B's are even considering signing him just reeks of the old-guard trying to injerject their two cents. I can just picture Jacobs & Sinden sitting on a conference call and wondering who Savard is, and why they needed to pay such big bucks for a tall defenseman when they already had Good Ol' Gill right here in Boston. "Sign me a player that I've heard of, Harry!" and next thing you know the B's are up to their old tricks and overpaying for older players (Coffey, Leetch, Zhamnov, I'm looking at you). Offer him 1 year at $3.5 million, and when he says no, wish him good luck. If they do pull the trigger on the 2 year/$9.8 million deal, it will take away a lot of the positive momentum that the team's built this offseason.

While I don't think that the old guard is staying completely silent, I think this is Gorton and Chiarelli trying to add a veteran winger that has actually won a Cup, can tutor their younger players in the ways of winning and being successful and is willing to stand up for his teammates. I also agree with you in terms of making a final offer.

Mowers: Why did the B's feel the need to sign a 4th liner when they still had RFAs to sign, and more important players to extend?!?

Depth, mostly. He can play in Providence and be a solid contributor to the fourth line when needed.

With Yzerman done, i'm all for some of the old guard in Detroit moving on. Problem with this is Shanahan is one of the few Wings that would still hit someone when he could and was about the only thing even close to an enforcer type. But every year he gets slower, and for five million a year no thanks.

Also, I haven't seen or heard an update on Fischer in a while. Wonder if he'll even be able to come back.

From TSN-

Ice Chips for Saturday, July 9

Ed Belfour has made it clear Detroit is where he'd like to end up. His agent, Ron Salcer, reiterated that Friday, saying the Wings are the veteran free-agent goaltender's No. 1 choice. Wings general manager Ken Holland told Salcer on Friday he'll let him know Monday whether he's prepared to make Belfour a contract offer. - Detroit News

Brendan Shanahan is believed seeking a two-year deal at $5 million a season. Various newspapers differ on which teams are still in the hunt for him and which teams are not, with the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings and Detroit Red Wings all in the mix. - Montreal Gazette

Senators GM John Muckler continues to shop Martin Havlat, but his insistence on a one-year deal is hampering attempts to move him. - Ottawa Citizen

Rangers assistant GM Don Maloney claims his team is still considering 'moderately priced veterans' who can fit well into the team's roster. He said the club is in contact with the agents for Petr Sykora and Martin Rucinsky and would like to re-sign them for the right price. - Star Ledger

Dallas Stars GM Doug Armstrong "is likely done with major signings in free agency." Armstrong reportedly wants to start the season with a $40 million payroll to provide flexibility for trades. - Fort Worth Star Telegram

A guy at work said The Habs offered to Gagne for 25over 5...anyone hear this?

I've seen it pop up here and there. I don't know if Philly would like to trade a player like Gagne within the conference. Another team that is rumored to be interested in Gagne is Vancouver...

Which means trade. I wouldn't be surprised if say Bulis, Ryder and a few picks went along, but damn I'm going to give up Bulis or Ryder. Get rid of Dagenais and Sundstrom instead.

Which means trade. I wouldn't be surprised if say Bulis, Ryder and a few picks went along, but damn I'm going to give up Bulis or Ryder. Get rid of Dagenais and Sundstrom instead.

You guys don't have Bulis to give, and there's no way to get RFA's without killing your system unless you trade for them.

I don't get why he'd turn down the more lucrative offers, but given what happens to everyone who signs with the Rangers- I think his production will drop big time.

He'll get signed soon, but I wouldn't go a penny over 2.5 million for him. Last year was an aberration. Most GM's league-wide are thinking that he benefitted from playing with the Sedins, which is why he's not signed yet.

max is right. A few teams are interested in him, but Carter isn't having a good year like that again. He'd still be a solid pickup though.

shanahan is a character guy. the rangers have made some solid moves to get so gritty north american players to compliment the talented yet lacking euro-centric rangers. should be interestin'.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991

The Ottawa Senators have traded Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski to the Chicago Blackhawks in a three-way deal also involving the San Jose Sharks.

Chicago sent Mark Bell to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Tom Priessing and Josh Hennessy, who the Blackhawks added to a package to land Havlat and Smolinski.

Along with Priessing and Hennessy, the Blackhawks sent prospect Michal Barinka and a 2008 second-round draft pick to Ottawa in exchange for Havlat and Smolinski.

As much as I like Bell, Chicago is the clear winner here.

Although Bell is going to, IMO, fit really well in San Jose. This is a vastly different playing style on paper than the team that got to the Western Finals two years ago.

Anyone know naything about the guys Ottawa got back? I don't like this trade. we need to win now, not later.

From what I can tell, they got Preissing, who is good. He's an offensive-type defenseman, much in the same vain of Brian Leetch except he can play defense as well as head the powerplay. Josh Hennessy is a minor leaguer, never played a minute in the NHL. Seems to have good size and good minor league numbers. Barinka is a young defenseman with good size.

That's all I got for now. I think Ottawa got hosed.

Well, Preissing is far from being a physical defenseman, but he can move the puck well and is a handy guy to have on your PP, as far as I know. Ottawa only had Havlat for 18 games last year, and they did fine without him.

Not that I think this is a great trade for Ottawa or anything.

Ottawa did indeed get hosed.

But it's not a wash. I didn't realise how little Havlat played last year, so I suppose it all comes out in the wash. Smolinski never made headlines or anything, but at least could two way play. If Hennessay can refill that role, they'll be alright. If I were an Ottawa fan, I'd be fairly excited to see Preissing with Redden, but would want another big d-man, preferrably a stay at home type.

On second thought, the top two would likely be Redden-Phillips now. So, yeah, get a fourth guy, maybe to round out the PP and this'll all work out.

It's kind of unfortunate that a talented player like Havlat will be sucked into the Wirtz black hole. What's his salary like? Ottawa has a little room to breathe now with this deal, don't they?

havlat's got a 6 mil/year deal lined up now. dunno about that one. smolinski was a clear salary dump. the hawks did well in this deal. mark bell was good, but not great. not even kyle calder.