TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Happy birthday.

Justin Williams was re-signed by the Canes, 5 years at 17.5 million. Good move.

Rob Blake may be headed out of Colorado, because of some cap difficulties there. I can't even explain what they are, but it's something to do with bonuses. They re-signed Skrastins and Brett Clark and acquired Leopold, so I don't think they have enough room to get Blake.

Brendan Shanahan is going to test the free agency waters.

Vancouver has re-upped both Sedins, as well.

I'd sell either of my nuts, maybe both, for the aforementioned deal that would have made St. Louis a Hab....Weren't the similar rumours about Lecavalier?

RALEIGH, NC -- Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed center Eric Staal to a three-year contract. The deal will pay the 2003 second overall draft pick $4 million in 2006-07, $4.5 million in 2007-08 and $5 million in 2008-09.

I'm glad that is done, sounds like Erik Cole may be a little tougher to re-sign. The 'Canes have offered him various multi-year contracts, but Cole wants a one-year contract that will allow him to test the free agent market after next season.

Guys that re-signed.

Staal, Chris Mason, Karel Rachunek with NYR, Commodore, Langenbrunner and Dwayne Roloson for 3 years.

Guys that re-signed.

Staal, Chris Mason, Karel Rachunek with NYR, Commodore, Langenbrunner and Dwayne Roloson for 3 years.

Wonder if Jussi Markkanen will look for a trade? His value will never be higher than it is right now and, after his performance in the Stanley Cup Finals, I doubt he would want to return to a backup role.

If my math is correct, the Carolina Hurricanes currently have $32,730,800 invested in players for next season. Jim Rutherford has set his personal cap limit at $40,000,000, which means they have $7,269,200 left. Erik Cole will probably want between $2 million and $3 million for next season. Doug Weight could very well be the odd-man out, I can't see any way that we could fit him on the roster with the money his talent demands.

Wonder if Jussi Markkanen will look for a trade? His value will never be higher than it is right now and, after his performance in the Stanley Cup Finals, I doubt he would want to return to a backup role.

I don't think he's good enough to start, but someone will jump at him if he's available. A team like Chicago or Florida may give the idea a thought.

Scott Mellanby's coming back for another year.

I don't think he's good enough to start, but someone will jump at him if he's available. A team like Chicago or Florida may give the idea a thought.

Jussi is not a starter. He had his chance during the regular season and blew which is why the Oilers had to get Roloson in the first place. He's a good back up who can give you two or three quality starts but if you expect him to play long stretches then you're dreaming.

First HUGE signing.

My signature has become a reality. The Kings seriously signed fucking Zdeno Chara. I don't know the terms yet, and supposedly the paperwork's not 100% done. So, anything could still happen. Was reported on FAN 590.

The Kings are also frontrunners for Pronger, apparently with the Sharks.

First HUGE signing.

My signature has become a reality. The Kings seriously signed fucking Zdeno Chara. I don't know the terms yet, and supposedly the paperwork's not 100% done. So, anything could still happen. Was reported on FAN 590.

The Kings are also frontrunners for Pronger, apparently with the Sharks.

Where did the Kings find the money to make these moves?

They have a ton of cap room with JR coming off the books. They just finally have a GM that's willing to spend and isn't afraid of making a splash. If they traded Frolov with another player and a prospect, they would have plenty of room for Pronger and one nice forward signing, that is, if Edmonton would take a deal like that. Frolov's contract is at 2 million for a few more years, and Visnovsky's getting paid 1.8 million.

The Chara deal isn't finalized though, FAN 590 jumped the gun and reported it too soon. Still time for a team to swoop in with a bigger offer if they're willing.

Fucking bitch ass FAN 590 was fucking wrong, Chara's a Bruin. 7.5 million per year for 5 years.

That's why you don't report shit before it's finalized, pass it off as done, and then come out and say that the deal's not done. I'm more frustrated at FAN 590 than anything. I can't say I'm sad the Kings aren't paying that contract.

Go Pronger, Blake or Jovanovski

Well, scratch Jovo, he signed with the Yotes. 5 year deal.

Silly season is in season.

Kubina's a Leaf. 5 MILLION PER YEAR

Jovo got 6.5 million per year. FUCK, that's as much as Redden.

I'm always amazed how fast some stuff can come together. I mean, free agency just started a few hours ago and already the floodgates are opening. You'd think the players would want to wait a day or 2 to see if anything else comes in.

Savard signed with the Bruins. They're putting shit together. 4 million a year for 5 years. Didn't need him though.

Canes got John Grahame, Kings got Scott Thornton.

I like the Kubina signing, the money may end up being a bit too much, but that's true with anyone. It'll help especially towards the end of the season, since they won't have to lean on McCabe and Kaberle so they won't end up as tired.

Leafs signed Hal Gill for three years.

I hate a lot of the signings and money that's going around, I won't try to lie. The Leafs built a defense, that's for sure.

It's so fun. It's even more fun reading Eklund's garbage and waiting for it to happen, knowing it won't. The teams not signing players, are the ones I expect to make acquisitions through trades. Boston's cap situation can't be pretty.

It's so fun. It's even more fun reading Eklund's garbage and waiting for it to happen, knowing it won't. The teams not signing players, are the ones I expect to make acquisitions through trades. Boston's cap situation can't be pretty.

They have a little over $30 million wrapped up in eleven players. That includes Chara and Savard.

Zdeno Chara -- 7.5 million

Glen Murray -- $4.15 million

Alexei Zhamnov -- $4.1 million

Marc Savard -- $4 million

Paul Mara -- $3 million

Marco Sturm -- $2.4 million

Brad Stuart -- $2.15 million

P.J. Axelsson -- $1.85 million

Tim Thomas -- $1.2 million

Wayne Primeau -- $1.15 million

Hannu Toivonen -- $532,000

Those are the players they have under contract for next season and each player's salary for next season.

Totals $32,032,000.

There's still some glaring problems with guys they have under contract. It's obvious to see which ones. I'm not trying to shit on their parade, but they'll have a cap situation in a year or two. They spent 57 million on two players today.