TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Few other notes.

Roenick wants to play in Canada next year. I'll be happy if he plays for Montreal next year, but I can see the Leafs going after him.

and the New York Rangers and Islanders are expecting to play an outdoor game in Yankee Stadium in the near future.

Bryan McCabe is resigning with the Leafs. 5 years, $28.75 mil.

Link

I think they're going to regret that contract.

Yeah, next year.

Roenick's done, guys. There's a 5% chance he's not done, but he's a major distraction. He can forecheck for 5 to 10 minutes a game and be effective, that's it. Roenick can't hit anymore, his concussion problems are too bad. Calgary is probably the only place that he can hide his weaknesses.

Gilmour and Bure didn't deserve to get in yet, the decisions were correct.

Roenick's done, guys. There's a 5% chance he's not done, but he's a major distraction. He can forecheck for 5 to 10 minutes a game and be effective, that's it. Roenick can't hit anymore, his concussion problems are too bad. Calgary is probably the only place that he can hide his weaknesses.

Gilmour and Bure didn't deserve to get in yet, the decisions were correct.

We already have an past his prime US player on our roster in Amonte, we don't need another one.

That's the only place he would be effective, is what I'm trying to say. If I was Sutter, I still wouldn't bring him in because he's a distraction. They can get someone else to do what he can do with relative ease. At this point, he's not even as good as Sean Avery. Kinda sad, really.

There's no point in having an older guy come in to play a role (outside of leadership, which he can't do because nobody takes him seriously) when they can have a younger guy just as good as him come in and have him brought along offensively while playing the role. Sure, he's experienced, but he's not a winner. Plain and simple.

That's the only place he would be effective, is what I'm trying to say. If I was Sutter, I still wouldn't bring him in because he's a distraction. They can get someone else to do what he can do with relative ease. At this point, he's not even as good as Sean Avery. Kinda sad, really.

There's no point in having an older guy come in to play a role (outside of leadership, which he can't do because nobody takes him seriously) when they can have a younger guy just as good as him come in and have him brought along offensively while playing the role. Sure, he's experienced, but he's not a winner. Plain and simple.

Yeah, I'm not trying to say you were implying that we should get him. But the chances of him coming to Calgary are slim to none, unless he wants a huge pay cut(I'm talking leauge min). We need players that will help our offense.

Last year Sutter took a chance on Amonte, and he got praise for it until the season started, and we saw that he isn't going to cut it in the NHL.

He said he'll play for 1 million. I don't put much stock into what he says, but he did say it.

In fact, I think he's one of the only people involved with the Kings (fans, players, coaches and executives) that doesn't know he's done. He and his poems are hilarious though, but that's pretty much what he is now.

A joke.

Luongo has officially signed with Vancouver.

It was probably touched on, but I don't recall seeing it here - McCabe has un-reneged (neged?) and re-signed with Hogtown.

Edit: Disregard the second line, unless you'd like to debate my usage of the word reneged.

Wade Redden was re-signed to a 2 year deal at 6.5 million per, and Bill Guerin was bought out by the Stars.

Also, the Devils will be playing next year at a lower cap number, because the contracts of Mogilny and Malahkov count against the cap. They will not be able to re-sign Elias unless he takes a paycut.

I would imagine Chara is on the way out now. That's more than people were figuring they'd sign Redden for.

Is that the penalty for going over the cap, having your cap reduced for the following year? Sounds like the Devils got some bad cap advice. They're going to be really hurting without Elias next year.

The Devils sent both of those guys down figuring that their contracts wouldn't count against the cap. The rule is, apparently, that if you send down guys over 35, their NHL salary still counts against the cap. Malahkov retired, but that doesn't matter, and neither does the fact that Mogilny probably won't play again. It's really confusing. I'm not sure how long Mogilny and Malahkov's contracts will count against the cap for. A lot of people were thinking that the contracts wouldn't count, which leads to the thought that the NHL could be making up some of this stuff as they go along. I don't know.

The one thing that's going to come out of this is that most older players won't be signed to long term deals anymore, in fear of this happening. There's no way to get out of your mistakes.

I really wanted Redden in the black and gold. I'd take Chara, but he's probably going to get a max contract. I think he'll go to the Rangers if he leaves Ottawa.

Are there any good websites out there that have information like which teams have shown interest in certain free agents? I know there probably won't be much information like that until free agency begins, but any sites that are notoriously good for offseason information?

Chara will test the free agent market, says TSN.ca.

The other big question mark on d this summer has been taken care of. Nick Lidstrom has re-signed with the Wings. Little under 7 a year for two years.

Guerin and Domi have both been bought out.

Thanks for that, alot of interesting stuff to read on those sites.

I think Chara will see alot of offers from alot of good teams. When he knocked that one Buffalo Sabre into another and both of them fell down, he instantly became one of my most favorite defensemen in the NHL.

Hurricanes re-signed D Andrew Hutchinson. He was injured for the last quarter of the season and was a healthy scratch for most of the other games. However, I have heard that he could have a significant role on the team next season.

Breaking from TSN.ca

Sources have told TSN that the Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired Marc Denis from Columbus for forward Fredrik Modin and Finnish netminder Fredrik Norrena. Details to follow...

I'm not surprised the Sens didn't make Chara the big offer. Someone's going to pay $8 million for him, and it's just too much money for Chara in today's NHL. Chara had a really hard time adapting to the new NHL last season. His biggest attribute -- his size -- was a hindrance to him, as the refs would regularly send him to the box for roughing-type penalties that he just couldn't help. When you're 6'9", you're going to knock players around a lot more than an average-sized defenceman would. He had a career-high in scoring, but who didn't last year?

Do I think he's a top-tier defenceman? Of course. Do I think he's worth as much as Redden got? Absolutely.

Do I think he's worth the maximum? No.

Breaking from TSN.ca

Sources have told TSN that the Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired Marc Denis from Columbus for forward Fredrik Modin and Finnish netminder Fredrik Norrena. Details to follow...

Good, more journeyman goalies. That'll really help the Bolts out.

Breaking from TSN.ca

Good, more journeyman goalies. That'll really help the Bolts out.

That move makes a little more sense than this would:

Tim_Silver writes "According to several reports including the Team 990 in Montreal and La Presse, the Montreal Canadiens are about to pull the trigger on a deal that would send G David Aebischer and a 2nd round draft pick to Tampa Bay for speedy scorer Martin St. Louis."

I knew that was going to happen, but without Norrena involved.

Eklund's Note:

That's almost where I start to think that it's not real, but then I realize that nobody could put something up like this if it wasn't legit. Some of the things Eklund says are absolute garbage.

JR just wrote a poem a few days entitled "The Fans Can Kiss my Ass". He's still "preoccupied".

Belfour and Domi were bought out today. There's a 2.75 million cap hit for them.

EDIT: From now on, I'm abstaining from all JR discussion, unless I'm the one to post that he got signed. It gets me worked up.

Bruins bought out Travis Green and Shawn McEachern today.

I'm not sure why they bought out Green...he actually played well at some points last season and is good with faceoffs. Sullivan just didn't know how to use him.

McEachern = bye. take care.

Zhamnov is a question mark right now.