TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Elias' contract with the Devils apparently includes a "no-move" clause. The Devils can't trade him or send him to the minors, so they're stuck with him for six years, for better or worse.

Shean Donovan signed with the Bruins, and McCauley is getting 2 million a year. Ruslan Salei was signed by the Panthers, and Hinote went to the Blues.

I don't expect Pronger to be traded until Wednesday. Tomorrow, it's going to pick up again.

Well, they lost McCauley, who I would have loved to see in black and gold, but signed Donovan instead. I like both players and am glad to have Donovan as part of the team.

I'd like to see them go after Cajanek or Halpern next.

Right now (assuming they re-up with the usual suspects):

Sturm-Savard-Murray

Boyes-Bergeron-Donovan

Axelsson-Primeau-?

?-?-?

Chara-Mara

Stuart-Stuart

Jurcina-Alberts

A lot hinges on what happens with Shamnov though. If they can get him off the cap for the duration of his contract, it's like having Savard for free (which is about what he's worth). Overall, they're at around 32 million for 11 players. Take Shamnov out, add in a few extra dollars for whatever free agents they bring in (if any more), plus the contracts of their RFA's and they'll likely get up to ~39-40 million, I think.

Pronger a Duck: (from tsn)

Chris Pronger, the biggest name on the summer trade block is going to California.

The Anaheim Ducks have traded one roster player, one non-roster player and several conditional high-end draft picks to the Oilers in exchange for Pronger.

Pronger, 31, put up 56 points and a plus-2 rating during the 2005-2006 regular season and was a stalwart for the Oilers during their playoff run to the Stanley Cup final, recording 21 points and a plus-10 rating in 24 games. The 2000 Hart and Norris Trophy winner is regarded as one of the very best defenders in the league, and joins a Ducks defence corps that includes 2004 Norris Trophy winner Scott Niedermayer.

Pronger has 456 points and a plus-127 rating in an 802-game career that has seen him play in Hartford, St. Louis and Edmonton. He also has 72 points and a plus-25 rating in 109 career playoff games.

The 6-foot-6, 220 pound defenceman signed a five-year, $31.25-million contract with the Oilers last August, then surprised the team with his request for a trade shortly after the season due to personal reasons

Steve Yzerman was not only my favorite hockey player but my favorite athlete period. He was pretty much the main reason why I became a Red Wings fan. Of course this day was coming sooner rather than later but it still sucks. All I can say is thanks for a stellar career and for being a true role model for which any hockey player would aspire to be.

Pronger a Duck: (from tsn)

Chris Pronger, the biggest name on the summer trade block is going to California.

The Anaheim Ducks have traded one roster player, one non-roster player and several conditional high-end draft picks to the Oilers in exchange for Pronger.

The roster player is Joffrey Lupul. Edmonton got raped, badly. Back to a non-playoff team for them.

And :( at Yzerman retiring. One of my favorite athletes ever and he's from my hometown.

Yes, Edmonton got raped. So, a playoff spot is open for another team, plus the one that will be vacated by Colorado. It's not all that bad though, Ladislav Smid is pretty good.

That also leads me to believe that they weren't getting good offers for Pronger.

Penguins got Mark Eaton, who I wanted and who is exactly what they need, and the Sharks got Mike Grier. There's a rumor that the Bruins got Shanahan, but I'll wait before going further. They'd really be pushing it cap-wise if they did that.

Well Steve, it's been fun watching you play. You won the Stanley Cup three times and were the captain of the Red Wings for 22 years. Next stop the HOF.

I'm mad that Pronger coming to Anaheim. Scott Niedermeyer is highly paid, scoring defenseman. I don't think we need two. I'm going to miss Joffery. I thought he could have been the next Kariya in Anaheim.

both lupol & smid are top prospects. lupol showed a lot of offensive potential in the playoffs last year. plus, they get two first round draft picks as well as a second rounder. that could be 5 top prospects for an aging pronger with a huge contract. don't delude yourselves, pronger will not be pronger for the duration of his current contract. furthermore, by dumping him & getting inexpensive yet promising prospects, the oilers can make some free agent moves that can make them a more COMPLETE team. i like pronger. he's dominant. but he also ran out of gas in the finals, & made some mental mistakes. lets not act like this is a trade on a gretzky level, or even nicklas lidstrom.

Guest Felonies!

When was Nicklas Lidstrom ever traded? I thought he's been a Red Wing since day one.

When was Nicklas Lidstrom ever traded? I thought he's been a Red Wing since day one.

no. i was just saying pronger isn't even near the worth of lidstrom. he's overated by many. the oilers got more in return for pronger than they did for gretzky. all for a guy who isn't even the best in the league (lidstrom). i shoulda clarified a bit better.

Guest Felonies!

Oh okay, I got it. Anyway yeah, Pronger's departure shouldn't kill the Oilers, but I expected the Ducks to give up more than that. Also, those new Ducks uniforms look pretty rec-league.

Once I heard that they were giving up the picks, that is an awful lot to give. I don't like Lupul at all, that's why I shat on the trade at first.

They did lose a big part of their offense. They'll need to be winning games 2-1, unless they can get a good return for Giguere.

Oh okay, I got it. Anyway yeah, Pronger's departure shouldn't kill the Oilers, but I expected the Ducks to give up more than that. Also, those new Ducks uniforms look pretty rec-league.

It'll take time to get used to, but atleast it is something different. I wish they would've come up with a better logo than just the word "Ducks" in big letters.

as an oilers fan, i love the deal. come on, we are talking FIVE prospects. prospectively FIVE guys in 3-4 years that can beef them up. but with all draft picks, there are risks. but as it stands now, i think its a great risk. the oilers were trying to pry bouwmeester & horton from the panthers for pronger. no team is that stupid to give two PROVEN future allstars. but as it stands, the oilers could do even better than that if everything materializes. this next year the oilers may have some difficulty if they don't pick up some back end help. they're losing spacek alongside pronger, so at leats one of those spots needs to be filled. they do have prospects in their system who may be able to step it up.

the oilers were trying to pry bouwmeester & horton from the panthers for pronger. no team is that stupid to give two PROVEN future allstars.

I bet that if they would have waited longer for the free agent market to dry out even further, Keenan would have panicked. Maybe not that return, but something like Bouwmeester and Olesz would have been very possible. I don't know if Spacek is leaving Edmonton, he and Lowe are in talks right now.

Steve Rucchin is a Thrasher. They've made odd moves.

Yzerman retiring is yet another chunk of my youth gone. I started watching when I could around 85-87 or so, but between the cable coverage back then and my family not being too into hockey I could only watch the Wings occasionally. As a kid he was the skill player that got me into hockey.

Caughts parts of his 155 point season, the knee injury when he plowed into the goal post, the game 7 losses. One memory that sticks in my head, though it's not Yzerman specific, is the finals against the Devils. I was walking down the street from the park to the arcade/bowling alley/bar meeting place for our group of friends at the time. It being summer, most the houses had the windows and doors open. Almost every house down the street was tuned into the Wings game that was on. They(with him leading) had caught our town up with them on the trip to the finals. Of course the rest of is history. That finals loss, the Av/Wings brawl and rivalry, 3 Cups and a legacy that will last forever in Michigan.

i hope they dont lock spacek up, honestly. he was a defensive liability all playoffs. and he eventually lost his first line powerplay role to tarnstrom in the finals.

if the oilers would've gotten bouwmeester & nearly anyone else i would have taken it. oh well.

lopul is getting the comrie & pisani treatment. hopefully he'll turn out like the latter. comrie lacks so much character & thought he deserved so much from the oilers because they were his hometown team with inside connections.

Blues got Guerin

Apparently the Bruins are talking to Shanahan. I'd like to see him come to Boston, as that would give them a great winger to compliment the offense as well as an enforcer. Chara is the closest thing they have to one and I'm not a fan of paying 7.5mill/season for an enforcer. They're going to need one to keep other teams from ganging up on the smaller guys (Boyes, Bergy, Savard, etc.). If Shanahan falls through, I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Laraque.

I was just about to post that. Awfully boring headline for fairly big news.

Two days in and I'm already exhausted. Hockey News Media Guide, you cant come qwuickly enough.

The Islanders got Brendan Witt and Michael Peca, apparently.

Something interesting to look at.

Luongo $6,000,000.00

Naslund $6,000,000.00

Sedin $3,575,000.00

Sedin $3,575,000.00

Mitchell $3,500,000.00

Ohlund $3,500,000.00

Morrison $3,200,000.00

Cloutier $2,550,000.00

Linden $1,520,000.00

Cooke $1,500,000.00

Salo $1,500,000.00

That's $36.5M committed to only 11 players, unless my math is wrong. That puts them in a real bind unless they can deal Cloutier for nothing, and that may not even be enough.

I know Linden's a free agent, by the way. If I take his out, it makes it look even worse.