TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Montreal is one of the teams I think will make a nice trade. Just hold on, it's smart to conserve money, and they have good prospects in the pipeline. I'm just glad I don't have to see Ruutu's ugly face or hear his garbage at games. Good riddance.

Nashville has what everyone needs, I think. They're stacked defensively and will be making moves either to let the prospects play, or to trade the prospects for legit forwards. I think they were one of the few that could have got Pronger without giving anything that would cause harm to their system. Plus, there are some defensive gems still left, you just have to know where to look.

Ivan Majesky, Danny Markov, Kenny Johnsson (possibly), Sean Brown and Cale Hulse are dumpster dives that are good with the bang for the buck. Radoslav Suchy and Daniel Tjarnqvist are out there too.

Brian Willsie was a good signing for the Kings, it's all about digging deep and saving money when everyone's getting overpaid. The teams doing it best are the Isles, Canes, Habs, Capitals and Pens. Eventually, people will be in cap hell and those teams will get the future free agents at a cheaper cost.

Someone might find Valeri Bure and get a huge steal, or Owen Nolan. The guys that go unmentioned are the ones that are good finds.

I love that man. His humiliation of Phaneuf is probably the best thing any Canuck has done in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, Jarkko takes too many stupid penalties, but I imagine you guys will love him in Pittsburg. He's such a wonderful jerk on the ice.

Even though I'm a huge Flames fan, I was happy to see that.

Phanuef is problay the biggest jerk you will ever met. He's gotten his ass kicked at the club's a couple times because of his big mouth. Damn good hockey player though, he's a tough kid.

Looks like the B's are out of the Shanahan sweepstakes.

Shanahan is asking for 5.5 million. That's not a typo. The Bruins were the first to offer 4 million, which made me throw up in my mouth a little. The teams left are apparently the Bruins, Kings and Senators, but if Gorton doesn't pull the offer off the table and kindly tell Shanahan to take a long walk off a short pier, I will not be a happy boy.

From tsn-

Ice Chips for Wednesday, July 5

The Stars are expected to sign free agents Jeff Halpern and Matthew Barnaby today. Stars general manager Doug Armstrong confirmed that he was in discussions with the two players and said talks are "well down the road." Barnaby's deal is said to be one year for $625,000; Halpern is said to be ready to sign a four-year deal worth $2 million per season. - Dallas Morning News/Fort-Worth Star-Telegram

Free agent goaltender Ed Belfour is expected in Detroit today. The Red Wings want to put him through a rigorous physical because he's 41 and coming off back surgery... Dominik Hasek, 41, is also on the market, and if the Wings decide to go the trade route, there's Buffalo's Martin Biron. San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov is the best of the available goaltenders, but because he just signed a four-year extension worth $21.5 million in February, the Wings would have to trade away a player of near-equal money to keep enough salary-cap room to fill other holes. The Wings have 13 players signed to contracts totaling $31.287 million against next season's $44-million cap. - Detroit News

Panthers coach Jacques Martin said he spoke with Gary Roberts again on Tuesday and that there was no development on the left winger's request for a trade back to Toronto for family reasons. Citing a source, the Toronto Star reported that Roberts has told Panthers General Manager Mike Keenan if he isn't traded to the Maple Leafs, he will retire and return to Toronto. Martin would neither confirm nor deny Roberts expressed that to the team. Keenan added that he would expect Roberts or his agent to call him personally "if there was an ultimatum or a decision of that kind." If Roberts, 40, retires, the Panthers would not have to pay his $2.25 million salary for 2006-07 but it would count against their salary cap. - Sun Sentinel

With Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline looming for restricted free agents to file for arbitration, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello began negotiating Monday with center Scott Gomez's father/agent Carlos on a possible long-term deal. Lamoriello is also trying to find cap room to re-sign restricted free agent right wing Brian Gionta, who, like Gomez, can be unrestricted next year. The problem is the Devils already have more than $41 million committed toward the $44 million salary cap for next season. Teams can go as much as 10 percent over the cap until the first day of the regular season, but even that doesn't leave Lamoriello much wiggle room with restricted free agents David Hale and Paul Martin also to be re-signed (and also arbitration eligible) and the backup goalie spot still vacant. Gomez, 26, earned $2.204 million last year while Gionta, 27, earned $627,000 - Bergen Record

While the Coyotes have been active in signing unrestricted free agents, they are not close in coming to terms with their own restricted players. The biggest name out there who has yet to re-sign is Ladislav Nagy. Nagy is arbitration eligible but his agent says playing in Europe next season is one of the options he and the 27-year-old forward are considering. Nagy made $1.976 million last year. The Coyotes made him a qualifying offer for the same amount last month. He is believed to be seeking a substantial raise, likely in the $3 million-$4 million range. - East Valley Tribune

Yanic Perreault's agent, Jay Fee, says he has had "some preliminary talks" with the Pittsburgh Penguins. He added that several other clubs have expressed interest, but no front-runner has emerged. Andre Savard, the Penguins' new assistant coach, was the general manager who signed Perreault for Montreal in 2001, and Michel Therrien coached him with the Canadiens. And when Perreault had a solid 2004-05 season in Nashville, Ray Shero, the guy now charged with assembling the Penguins' roster, was the Predators' assistant GM. - Post Gazette

If Roberts, 40, retires, the Panthers would not have to pay his $2.25 million salary for 2006-07 but it would count against their salary cap.

Say what? That's the dumbest rule ever. You shouldn't have to take a cap hit just because some player decides he doesn't want to play anymore. Ridiculous.

I was thinking that.

Why can't they just send Roberts to the minors then and then not have to pay him?

That still counts against the cap, as the Devils found out with Mogilny.

I did some looking, and the relevant clause in the CBA states that any player over the age of 35 that signs a multi-year deal will have their average yearly salary count against the cap, whether they play for the club holding their contract or not (i.e. if they retire or get demoted).

The salary counts against the cap if THEY DIE.

Shanahan is asking for 5.5 million. That's not a typo. The Bruins were the first to offer 4 million, which made me throw up in my mouth a little. The teams left are apparently the Bruins, Kings and Senators, but if Gorton doesn't pull the offer off the table and kindly tell Shanahan to take a long walk off a short pier, I will not be a happy boy.

One yr deal plz. Can't find his goalscoring and leadership on trees, and apparently he doesn't like Dave Lewis so he likely won't be headed there anyway.

The Kings traded for Dan Cloutier, no word on who's going the other way.

2nd round pick and a conditional. Good, it's 2.55 mil off the books.

Now here's one-

If Gary Roberts wants to play in TO so bad, can he re-do his contract to make less money? I know he wouldn't want to do that, but he seems to want to play with the Leafs really badly.

I've only seen supposed prototypes, not the actual logo. I like the proposed design.

Hate the ones on the top. They should have went back to the double swords logo they used to have.

The Capitals are going back to red, white and blue, but I've seen nothing on that end.

Daniel Briere is going to Abritration. Therefore Briere is now hated in Buffalo.

Gaborik signed a three year deal with the Wild.

12 Buffalo players are going to arbitration. Also, everyone's favorite Sean Avery is going that route. He's going to be blackballed from the league, asking for 1.1 million dollars.

According to the team's website, Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Daniel Briere, JP Dumont, Brian Campbell, Henrik Tallinder, Toni Lydman, Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Andrew Peters, Justin Pominville and Ales Kotalik will have their pay for next season decided by a third party.

I like Buffalo's current logo and I like the Capitals' current home jersey.

Ducks resigned Andy MacDonald.

Detroit is interested in Belfour. Hell, may as well sign Hasek also. DOESN'T ANYONE BELIEVE IN CHRIS OSGOOD? He only like won the Stanley Cup and he's got 300 wins. He is so underrated.

I ain't a Red Wings fan... but screw you Mike Babcock for using Legace instead of Osgood.

He's not that underrated. He's as good as the team in front of him, no better. He's probably the worst goalie to have won the Stanley Cup in the last 30 years.

And 300 wins isn't that impressive when you figure he's been in the league for 12 years, most of which were with Detroit. There are a LOT of goalies who could have won 300 games for Detroit in the 90s.