TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Why Pittsburgh? Wouldn't they want M-A Fleury to step in and start being a serious NHL goaltender and not risk their entire season on Hasek's wonky legs?

I'd say Hasek goes to Florida.

M A Fleury's stats G W L T MIN GA SO GAA SV

2003-04 Pittsburgh NHL 22 4 14 2 1154 70 1 3.64 .896

2005-06 Pittsburgh NHL 50 13 27 0 2809 152 1 3.25 .898

Apparently Florida has an opening position for goalie. Maybe Hasek will go to Florida.

Fleury needs to be the full-time starter and stop getting screwed around with. He keeps getting shelled because:

a) the Penguins' defence is utterly hopeless;

b) he keeps looking over his shoulder to see who's coming to take his job next.

There's no way Hasek would go to Pittsburgh anyway. Why would he play one more season for a last-place team?

So you posted M-A Fleury's stats...because?

He's struggled in front of an absolute shit defense. They've somewhat improved their overall team defense, meaning that they might as well finally make them their #1 and not waste money on Hasek.

Why Pittsburgh? Wouldn't they want M-A Fleury to step in and start being a serious NHL goaltender and not risk their entire season on Hasek's wonky legs?

I'd say Hasek goes to Florida.

M A Fleury's stats G W L T MIN GA SO GAA SV

2003-04 Pittsburgh NHL 22 4 14 2 1154 70 1 3.64 .896

2005-06 Pittsburgh NHL 50 13 27 0 2809 152 1 3.25 .898

Apparently Florida has an opening position for goalie. Maybe Hasek will go to Florida.

Just like with Osgood, just posting his stats doesn't tell the whole story. Fleury plays for an absolute shit team, with little support in front of him. Even an elite goaltender would not have good stats playing for Pittsburgh. I think an almost 90% save percentage is pretty good.

I agree. Fleury could, should and will be a highest calibre goalie by 2010. Apart from his puckhandling gaffe at the 2004 World Juniors, he is an excellent goalie, and the veritable revolving door goalie in Pittsburgh is screwing with his head. Coupled with the poor Pittsburgh D screwing with his stats, and there you have it.

I'm saying Detroit is where Hasek winds up. Detroit seems eager to get an over the hill goalie in Belfour, and I've hear rumours that they were interested in Hasek as well. Hasek won them a cup three years ago with basically the same team, sans Yzerman, Hull and Shanny. That seems to make the most sense.

Ice Chips for Friday, July 14

Bruins top draft pick Phil Kessel will likely be playing at least one more year of college hockey at Minnesota. - St. Paul Pioneer Press

Negotiations are not going well with Avalanche RW Marek Svatos, one of Colorado's top goal scorers last season. "We're at a point where it's tough to say where it goes from here," Svatos' agent Rich Evans said. "(Talks) could have gone better; otherwise, we'd have a deal by now." - Denver Post

Unrestricted free agent C Greg Johnson has piqued the interest of the Ottawa Senators. - Ottawa Sun

Sovietsky Sport, the bible of all things hockey in Russia, says the six-foot-five Mikhnov is leaving his Russian club team, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, presumably to make his way across the pond to sign with the Oilers. But Oilers assistant general manager Scott Howson says a Mikhnov sighting is a tad premature. "We have had discussions with his agent (Don Meehan) and Mikhnov would like to come over, but we haven't even offered a contract," Howson said on Thursday. - Edmonton Journal

The Edmonton Oilers are denying reports that Eric Lindros may be meeting with general manager Kevin Lowe in a tour of NHL cities to talk about a possible contract. - Edmonton Journal

Eric Lindros has made visits to Dallas to listen to a pitch from Stars management and to Edmonton to discuss a possible future with the Oilers. The New York Islanders also are believed to have interest in No. 88. - Globe & Mail

Seven NHL teams are interested in Oiler free-agent right winger Radek Dvorak. - Edmonton Journal

Jiri Tlusty, who was selected 13th overall by the Maple Leafs at the entry draft in June, signed a three-year deal with Toronto that could see him playing major junior hockey for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds next season. - Toronto Star

Why would anyone want to waste their money on Lindros???

Also, Sens fans who do you want to start in net for you? Emery or Gerber?

I would have to believe it'll be Gerber. You don't pay $3.7 million a year to a backup goaltender. I think people tend to overlook the stellar regular season that Martin Gerber had and focus on his non-performance in the playoffs. He won alot of games for the Hurricanes last year.

I would have to believe it'll be Gerber. You don't pay $3.7 million a year to a backup goaltender. I think people tend to overlook the stellar regular season that Martin Gerber had and focus on his non-performance in the playoffs. He won alot of games for the Hurricanes last year.

I agree, as much as I like Emery.

Guest Princess Leena
It's not even that I like the Sabres and need to go to bat for them; I don't really give a shit one way or the other about either of Buffalo's teams. You're just getting really irritating with this Sabres-baiting nonsense.

Thank you.

And there should be a fair number of Sabres' fans down there... many Sabres' fans have moved down there.

I believe the question was who we would LIKE to see start, and my answer would be Emery. Gerber will start, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I'm still completely stunned that Muckler paid nearly $4 mil a season for a goalie who will be 32 years old before the season starts, who has been a starter in this league for exactly ONE full season, and has won exactly ONE playoff game. Wasn't the whole point of all the fretting over Emery in March that he had no playoff experience? How has that changed?

I really don't think Gerber will be in Ottawa by the time this contract expires.

I think there are going to be wholesale changes by the time Gerber's contract is up. I would be incredibly surprised to see him still in Ottawa in three years.

Gerber has good numbers in the regular season, but he's yet to make a big impression in the playoffs. I agree with Chris. I think Muckler may be losing it.

I thought Emery played very good for the Senators...

He wasn't the reason why they lost in the playoffs, atleast IMO.

He may not have been THE reason, but he was one of the reasons after his atrocious performance in game 1. Miller wasn't great either, but Emery looked lost at times in that game.

He may not have been THE reason, but he was one of the reasons after his atrocious performance in game 1. Miller wasn't great either, but Emery looked lost at times in that game.

He's a rookie goalie, of course he's going to be lost at times. Which is why Ottawa as team has to take some of the pressure of him which they didn't in Game 1, the team basically expected Emery to win the game by himself, which is dumb.

He's a rookie goalie, of course he's going to be lost at times. Which is why Ottawa as team has to take some of the pressure of him which they didn't in Game 1, the team basically expected Emery to win the game by himself, which is dumb.

Yeah, those six goals the Sens scored really kept the pressure on Emery. I can't believe those selfish bastards expected him to not give up seven goals.

Yeah, those six goals the Sens scored really kept the pressure on Emery. I can't believe those selfish bastards expected him to not give up seven goals.

I'm not saying he shouldn't shoulder some of the blame, but the Senators just stopped playing defense late in that game.

I'm not saying he shouldn't shoulder some of the blame, but the Senators just stopped playing defense late in that game.

Not...really. They played as tight as they could. Buffalo got some rebounds and put them in. Rebounds are Emery's responsibility. Oh and go ahead and try to explain Drury's game-winning shot that Emery treated like a live grenade.

Possible goaltender controversy in Anaheim?

Ducks goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov told a Russian newspaper Saturday that the team wants him to be the No. 1 goaltender next season instead of Jean-Sebastien Giguere.

"I got a call from the club and they told me that they see me as their number one goaltender," he told Sovietsky Sport newspaper. "They also want to trade Giguere but no one wants him."

When asked about his relationship with the 2003 Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Bryzgalov told the paper, "I don't want to say anything about him because we play on the same team and I can't say anything bad about him."

I'm surprised that there aren't any teams interested in Giguere, although Anaheim probably wants a hell of a lot for him. I liked what I saw from Bryzgalov in the playoffs, but you shouldn't talk about a teammate like that. I have heard that if the deal between Detroit and Belfour falls through, they could be interested in Giguere.

Eric Lindross has a one year 1.55 million dollar contract with Dallas.

Andrei Perezoghin signed a one year contract.

And Taylor Pyatt contract is now in the hands of Vancouver.

As he was with Hogtown 12 months ago, Lindros is a gamble. But he's still a talented (albeit tentative) player, taken at a bargain of 1.5 mil.

I don't like him, but if I were a GM who could sign him for that rate, I'd do it as well.

Lindros is having second thoughts.

Fact. Said TSN just now "Despite reports, Lindros has NOT signed with Dallas, and is expected to make up his mind in the next 24 hours."

Thats it?

Wow.

And c'mon Montreal sign players for more than one year, and don't trade good developing players either.

LA's offering more than Dallas has, from what I understand. I really, really don't want him on my team.