TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

I would still say they are in salary cap trouble. I don't know about the Kings, but the Hurricanes have nineteen players under contract for next season and their combined salaries are only $34 million.

Bruins still have to fill out their roster and they certainly will be hindered with what amount they can pay each player.

Aaron Ward and Matt Cullen are expected to test the free agent market.

-Aaron Ward could return to the Detroit Red Wings.

-Minnesota Wild and Toronto Maple Leafs have shown interest in Matt Cullen.

Both guys said they would like to stay in Carolina, but they still wanted to see what else was out there for them.

Not a big fan of the Gill signing. Over 2 million a year for 3 years for someone who's not going to have a lot of trade value, even.

Cullen's supposedly going to the Rags.

The Kings cap situation is really good, I'll post in more detail when I get home. Once they have all the RFA's signed up and Conroy traded (he's on the block) I'll have a better idea.

Norstrom-4.25

Frolov-2.9on trade block

Miller-2.47

Sopel-2.4-on trade block, good as gone through buyout or deal

Conroy-2.394on trade block

Lubomir Visnovsky-1.824

S. Thornton-1.5

Labarbera-.750,000

Cowan-532,000

Kostopoulos-525,000

Parros-.450,000

Players we really have no idea about but I'm guessing team option, which won't be picked up.

Army

Dempsey

RFA Offers we made (all of these salaries in there are my additions)

Cammalleri

Brown

Avery-550,000

Belanger-same as Avery

Garon-1.5 to 2 million

Weaver-league minimum

=around 5.5 million

Throw Gleason's contract which should be around 750,000.

After trading Conroy for a stud prospect (the plan), we'll add 550,000 for him and eliminate Conroy's salary. Trading Sopel is likely a lateral move, so I'll add his salary in too. Frolov will likely be traded for a player making more, so I'll add a million and a half to his salary. They added S. Thornton, so 1.5 million more.

So, they'll probably have around 25,875,000 committed to 17 players after trading the guys on the block. With free agent acquisitions, they could possibly have 15 million to make moves, because they aren't spending to the cap (make additions during the year). Plus, Kopitar and O'Sullivan are on the team now, Kopitar making 850,000 and O'Sullivan making 500,000. So, realistically, they have quite a bit of room with a lot of players committed. They can rebuild, or make a big splash or they can stick with Conroy and have 11-12 million to do what they want with. Their call.

My math may be wrong. Their cap situation is very good.

Copied and pasted this post and made my own additions, in bold. Lombardi has said he will not spend money to spend money, but that he wants a quality defenseman. That leads me to believe he may overpay for Pronger. I know that was a jumbled mess, but I love their situation and that they're not spending a shitload on Kubina and Jovanovski. Jovo's may be one of the worst contracts I've seen in a salary cap league.

Pothier signed with the Caps, Flames signed Andrei Zyuzin, Canucks signed Willie Mitchell (they are at the cap), the Avs signed Arnason, Osgood is sticking with the Red Wings and Curtis Brown is a Shark.

Jay McKee is a Blue. Didn't see that coming.

Joe Corvo is a Senator. Ottawa fans will learn to appreciate his defensive prowess, or TOTAL lack thereof. Get on the fucking plane Joe. Gerber's headed there too.

Rob Blake is returning to where his career began.

The 16-year veteran signed a two-year, $12 million deal with the Los Angeles Kings. Blake, 36, has spent the last four-plus seasons with Colorado, helping the team win its second Stanley Cup in 2001. In 81 games with the Avalanche last season, he had 14 goals and 51 assists. More to follow.

Ok, Rob fucking Blake, you better not pull your shit this time.

2 years, 12 million. I'm on the fence about this.

may have overpaid blake, but he's still a stud.

whats up with the bruins? savard is a mistake. he wont be as good without a guy like kovalchuk to pass to.

gill is a mistake for the leafs.

jovo's signing is surprising.

the team who has done the best this offseason between the draft, trades, & coaching is the kings. they'll be scary in a few years.

On sportsnet tonight, they said that Elias is looking at Chicago and another team.

Carney is a member of the Wild.

I am uneasy about this coming season. Honestly, I think we would have been better off signing Hasek. They paid #1 money to a guy who's only been a starter for one season, despite the fact that he's 31. Emery's as good as this guy...how's he going to feel being the backup for the next three seasons?

I don't know anything about Joe Corvo. I'll wait and see with him. I've seen some people say he's underrated, so we'll see. An offensive defenceman might be a good fit for this team.

Corvo has a rocket shot and can score goals, teams can't leave him with a shot or he'll kill it. Give him 12 minutes a game and he'll be good, any more and he's going to screw up real bad. He suffers from major defensive lapses. If he got paired with Redden, all those problems would be washed away. I never liked him much. Tad overpaid, but almost everyone is besides Neidermayer and Pronger.

I think you'll like him.

Elias is supposedly a Blackhawk, but I have no proof. So, chalk that under big time rumor picking up steam.

I forgot one thing about Corvo. He's a convicted felon for getting into a bar fight with a woman, and he looks the part. I swear.

Filip Kuba is a Bolt, 9 million over 3 years.

Wow, the Wild signed Kim Jonsson to a 5 mil per deal. Kim F'ing Jonsson?!? Decent player, had some real upside going into the year, regressed severly this year and oh yeah hasn't played in 5 months due to a severe concussion.

Dear owners, next time you want to whine about escalating player salaries, kindly go to hell. See you guys at the next lockout in three years.

Nashville has signed Jason Arnott and the Islanders have signed Mike Sillinger. More, definitely to come.

I would really like to see the 'Canes try and address the right wing position in free agency. Right now, the top two lines have Mark Recchi and Justin Williams. After that, there is a STEEP drop to guys like Chad LaRose and Craig Adams. An additional center wouldn't hurt as well. Problem is, we only have about $5 million left to spend.

Guest Felonies!

JustJoe2k5 accounts for like 95% of all the Carolina Hurricanes discussion on the Internet.

JustJoe2k5 accounts for like 95% of all the Carolina Hurricanes discussion on the Internet.

95% on this site. The number falls to around 75% when you include the entire internet.

John's reaction upon hearing of the Marc Savard signing:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The knocks on Savard read as: lazy, poor defender and no work ethic. He now makes four million a season. Great.

The Chara signing made my day a bit better though. Solidified the defense. Happy to see him replace Gill.

Poor man's Brind'Amour. They're getting a lot of players that provide leadership.

He had a really good year before the lockout and was hurt most of last season. Former Selke finalist, I hope he returns to form.

3 year deal.