TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

HURRICANES, CAPTAIN AGREE TO FIVE-YEAR CONTRACT

SELKE WINNER SCORED 31 GOALS, LED ALL NHL FORWARDS IN FACEOFF WINS

Jim Rutherford, president and general manager of the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes, announced Friday that the team has agreed to terms center Rod Brind’Amour to a five-year contract. During the regular season, the 35-year-old Carolina captain totaled 70 points and led all NHL forwards in ice time per game at 24:17, before scoring a team-high 12 postseason goals to lead the Hurricanes to their first Stanley Cup title. At Thursday's NHL Awards Show, held in Vancouver, B.C., Brind'Amour was named the recipient of the 2006 Frank J. Selke Trophy, given to the NHL's outstanding defensive forward.

The more I think about it, the more I think the trade up to draft Jordan Staal is a good idea. Right now, Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour are our first and second line centers. Behind those two, we have Doug Weight who is a free agent and may decide to return to the St. Louis Blues. Behind Weight, their is a major dropoff to talent like Josef Vasicek, Kevyn Adams, and Matt Cullen. Immediate depth is needed at the position and Staal would also be able to step up whenever Brind'Amour decides to retire.

The Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup without a player you would call an "intimidator." It also seems like the Hurricanes value offensive ability in their defensemen as much as any team in the NHL. Players like Frantisek Kaberle who are efficient on the offensive side of the game and very effective on the powerplay. I think that may be part of the reason that they are willing to trade the hard-hitting Jack Johnson. Another reason is the fact that Johnson will never play a game as a Carolina Hurricane. He wants to stay at Michigan all four years so he can re-enter the NHL draft. If the 'Canes were to wait, they would get absolutely nothing in return for one of the best defensive prospects the NHL has seen in a long time. If this trade were to happen, Johnson would be reunited with his buddy Sidney Crosby and the 'Canes would have two very talented Staal brothers to build around in the future.

Guest Felonies!
boy, the panthers got fleeced. bertuzzi is damaged goods. though luongo hasnt exactly established himself as a championship goalie. maybe too much hype? either way, canucks got the better of the deal.

pronger ditching on the oilers is disappointing. but really, edmonton is a FUCKING shithole to live in. its like the detroit of canada.

I thought Sudbury was the biggest shithole in Canada. Edmonton just seems vast and boring, rather than disgusting and miserable, but you're the one living in the Prairies whereas I've never been further north than Eau Claire, Wisconsin, so I'll take your word.

Guest Felonies!

I read somewhere that the crowds at Windsor Spitfires games are among some of the most disorderly in junior hockey. How cool/sad is it that people become violent and offensive at junior hockey games?

As a Pens fan, this is the most exciting draft in recent memory. Right now, the rumors are swirling, with the latest one being that Ray Shero has decided on Jon Toews -- but Chicago wants Toews badly as well, and may be willing to give up some assets in a trade with Pittsburgh. If they do that, it would leave Shero free to both get an asset from the Hawks and then still make the Jack Johnson trade.

Guest Felonies!

2006 could be the best Pittsburgh draft since 2005!

Please don't rape the Blackhawks too much, we have nothing left.

Well, Crosby was a given... but I do see your point, haha.

The difference this year is that I have no idea what they're going to do, because it's so wide open. Now that they've got a competent GM, it's going to be fun to watch.

And, for what it's worth, an "asset" is probably just a mid-round pick to move up one spot.

I'm a Pens fan as well. It's nice to have a competent GM running things for once.

Shero's possibilites are endless. He needs to try and squeeze the most out of what is there.

I wouldn't mind #2 straight up for JJ from Carolina, nor would I mind #2 straight up for Weber from Nash, but i would try to get them to throw in Radulov...

Or just stay put and take Toews...

Should be a fun night...

Three Gopher player/recruits in the Top 7. Get these three plus Peter Mueller, and anything short of a championship and Don Lucia needs to move on.

They are going to throw money at Chara and Elias, or try to trade for Pronger and get one of those 2. I think this says quite a bit about what the Kings want to do, which is get tougher.

I like the trade very much, O'Sullivan tore the AHL apart.

Sudbury, Windsor and Saint John are worse. Saint John is a little pocket of crap in the middle of a really nice area.

No mention of Hamilton, or even Toronto for that matter.

Well, the Leafs just traded one of the best goaltending prospects, Tukka Rask, for Jim Carey Jr. (Andrew Raycroft). Way to go, you idiots!

Maybe Raycroft could turn it around yet, but I'm not very happy about them giving up Rask.

Sudbury, Windsor and Saint John are worse. Saint John is a little pocket of crap in the middle of a really nice area.

No mention of Hamilton, or even Toronto for that matter.

I don't mind either of those places. Hamilton gets a bad rap that isn't really deserved.

Sure, Toronto is no Vancouver, but it's no Detroit, either.

Some interesting news in today's Ottawa Sun...

- Redden appears to be all but re-signed by Ottawa, and a deal could be announced within 48 hours.

- The Sens have also made progress with Zdeno Chara.

- Havlat appears to be done with the Sens. Potential trade partners include the Kings (for Alexander Frolov) and Carolina (for Erik Cole).

- With Luongo traded, the Sens look like they're going to try to sign Hasek for one more season ($500K + bonuses).

- The Sens would have had to give up Havlat, Emery, Phillips and their first-round pick to get Luongo. Considering what Luongo actually went for, that seems ludicrous in retrospect.

Well, the Leafs just traded one of the best goaltending prospects, Tukka Rask, for Jim Carey Jr. (Andrew Raycroft). Way to go, you idiots!

Go Leafs Go?

Something's going to happen with Giguere in the next week, I believe. Marc Denis was supposed to be headed out of Columbus today.

Frolov's headed out of town in all likelihood, and has a good amount of trade value because he's cheap. As far as Pronger goes, LA was near the top of the list of teams he wanted to go to when he was dealt last year.

The Kings dumped Demitra's 4.5 salary for an NHL ready prospect and a 1st rounder. That's pretty good for the start of a possible rebuild.

I was hoping for Kessel or Backstrom (realistically, I knew Toews wasn't dropping to #5) and Kessel looks really fucking good right now. Even if he can't help the team right now, that's fine. He was projected as a top three pick in last year's draft, he's got talent. TSN's knock on him during the draft was his lack of personality in interviews. BFD. I'll take him.

Rayzor for Rask is what it is. I never faulted Andrew for his play last season, I thought that not playing much in the lockout and taking a good deal of time to get a new contract effected him. Best of luck to Andrew except when he's playing the Bruins.

Boynton is supposedly very close to being dealt to Phoenix for Paul Mara.

And supposedly never turned into an actual trade.

Sportsnet was saying the Leafs were talking to Edmonton about Pronger, who wanted Kaberle and Alex Steen, but the Leafs offered up Matt Stajan instead. Kaberle has a no-trade clause, but that doesn't kick in until July 1, so this would have to happen quickly. I really hope they don't have to give up Steen.

Havlat appears to be done with the Sens. Potential trade partners include the Kings (for Alexander Frolov) and Carolina (for Erik Cole).

I don't see Rutherford doing that.

I was floored when I came home to see all this news (I was out of the house from 7 am to 1 am today).

-Im intrigued by the Demitra deal. O'Sullivan has boatloads of potential. Don Cherry, although pretty lax with his superlatives, once called him the best junior play in the world. A line with Demitra and Gaborik could be scary.

-Nice to see Iginla get some help with Tanguay. Conroy has always been underrated, and this proves it.

- All the goalies on the market, and Raycroft is their choice? I'm a little guilty of playing fantasy hockey here, but come on. He does have some credentials, but it still seems like a gamble. For all the talk of the Leafs only ever trading away for players with higher mileage, a goaltender is one time you might be able to get away with it, especially with some youth in Pogge. What happens to Telqvist? It seems to me he did alright last year in the starter's role and won't want to backup.

-Max, how comfortable are you with Toivenen now as your starter? And nskie's been quiet for a while, since I'm getting a B's fan opinion.

- Yes, I know, tease me all you want for what I'm about to say, I've preached it before: When first heard of the Stars/Thrash trade, I read it as "Dallas gets Savard(UFA, by the way) and wrote off the Thrashers this year.

-Im intrigued by the Demitra deal. O'Sullivan has boatloads of potential. Don Cherry, although pretty lax with his superlatives, once called him the best junior play in the world. A line with Demitra and Gaborik could be scary.

That's why the deal made sense. Minnesota will be able to keep Gaborik (their star) and the Kings get a potential one in O'Sullivan. I don't know if this means that LA's going to go into a fullblown rebuild or a Burke type renovation in the offseason. One thing for certain, is that with this trade, their draft picks and Frolov being on the block is that the Kings are moving far away from Europeans.

Atlanta made the Modry deal so that they could dump salary to try and resign Savard or a different free agent, likely a defenseman. I can't believe someone took Modry, he's garbage. Colorado took it from behind in the Tanguay deal, but Tanguay will be asking for 5 million after next season.

I thought San Jose was dumb as hell for trading up to grab Ty Wishart, and Nigel Williams fell far and fell hard. Toronto got a steal in Tlusty.

I'm pretty sure the Leafs lost all confidence in Tellqvist after Montreal, especially after the display Aubin put on at the end of last season. I'm kinda surprised he wasn't flipped somewhere for a (late round) draft pick after the Raycroft trade.

I think Raycroft is mostly supposed to be a stopgap until Pogge is (hopefully) ready, which I'm guessing is still a season away barring injuries or whatever. And I don't think they wanted to waste too much cap space in net since Belfour's buyout will still count against them, so it should be in the $2 million range with Raycroft/Aubin assuming Tellqvist is gone, plus I think over $2 million still for Belfour. Giguere and Nabokov both have pretty big contracts and the UFA goalies like Gerber and Legace would probably get somewhere near $3 million. I wanted them to sign Legace, but didn't think getting Raycroft was an option. Just gotta hope that Rask doesn't turn out to be better than Pogge.