TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

I like the fact that the NHL draft is right after the end of the season. I wonder if OLN will show more than just the first round? I would like to see atleast the first two rounds.

Any NHL draftniks out there?

Yes.

Keenan has officially put Luongo on the trading block.

Rumored destinations are Ottawa, Detroit, LA and Vancouver. I like that the Kings are seemingly becoming players in trade talks.

I could see Vancouver over any other, for my 1/50th of a dollar.

What's Emery's status? I really think he's ready to step in full time (the playoff loss was hardly his fault). This is based on Hasek of course, who's a UFA Canada Day, isn't he?

They're talking about re-signing Hasek for about the same amount as last year. I really don't think that's good for anyone.

I doubt Ottawa would be in the mix for Luongo, with the signing issues they have. He'd be too expensive.

Emery's ready, Hasek's done, I think. He is a UFA.

Everyone thinks that LA will be giving Frolov, Garon and the 11th pick, Ottawa possibly Havlat and Emery or Volchenkov, Vancouver nobody knows because Bertuzzi's contract is an albatross and Detroit would have to give Datsyuk or Kronwall and Jimmy Howard.

Those are all rumors, and some people say that Ottawa has the best chance because Elias and Havlat want to play with each other, which is possible in Florida. Ottawa has the signing issues, that's what people forget.

Well if Ottawa was smart and want to plan for the future, please get rid of Hasek.

Since coming back he's been nothing but an injury problem, and really I thought Emery was more impressive in the regular season then Hasek(Some would disagree, but 12 wins in a month is very impressive).

Wins for goalies in hockey are about as meaningful as wins for pitchers in baseball. It also doesn't hurt that they played 16 games in March.

Emery's peripheral stats once he took over, while good, were clearly inferior to Hasek's. That said, no one in Ottawa is going to trust the stability of Hasek's groin again after this season.

Sign Hasek to a small contract and have him be a backup and play in the playoffs.

That's even worse. You can't have a guy play the entire regular season knowing he's going to lose his job once the playoffs start.

Hasek's going to retire. He's likely damaged goods and would want a nice chunk of change.

I think Ottawa best get in on the Luongo sweepstakes. Some may say that he's never been in the playoffs and might be a flop, but he's a very good goaltender and is the type that steals you games in the playoffs. Ottawa should get in on it, even if it would likely cost them a package consisting of Havlat/Vonchenkov.

If they can't get Louie, I'd stick with Emery instead of wasting money on Hasek. Sure, he's great and is one of the best and most exciting goaltenders ever, but his health is a serious concern. Stick with Emery. He played bad at times in the playoffs, but with another year under his belt, he should be fine.

Carolina lost their first rounder in the Weight deal. Nashville and Edmonton don't have one and Edmonton doesn't draft until the 3rd or 4th round I think.

Carolina's better off not drafting Fischer, he's supposed to be a big time dumbass.

Edmonton gets the #45 pick in rd 2 due to them being unable to sign a prospect. Their first rounder went to Minnesota in the Roloson deal. If they re-sign Peca, they lose their third rounder (#80) to Atlanta.

The compensational pick is what I forgot about. They traded their original 2nd to Boston in the Samsonov deal.

They're very unlikely to resign Peca from all accounts.

Sign Hasek to a small contract and have him be a backup and play in the playoffs.

That's even worse. You can't have a guy play the entire regular season knowing he's going to lose his job once the playoffs start.

Certainly not a guy who could start a Home Building Centre with all the hardware he has. Plus he's an ass, which won't help matters. Emery is ready.

My two big offseason predictions:

1) Hasek will never again play in the NHL.

2) Bertuzzi is done with Vancouver.

Jordon Staal is going to be the best player out of all the Staal brothers. His junior work is pretty outstanding.

I think even the Staal family will tell you that Jared, the youngest brother, may be the best of the bunch.

You're both right. There's a lot of freakin talent in this family, and I've heard multiple times now that Eric is the least talented of the bunch. What's not to like about that, though? I mean, is there a person alive who doesnt like most, if not all six, Sutters?

All but assured...

The Kings are once again pursuing Florida Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo, a league source said Tuesday. The Kings are believed to be discussing a multi-player package, with forwards Alexander Frolov and Dustin Brown and goaltender Mathieu Garon among the names being discussed. Dean Lombardi, the Kings' general manager, declined to comment.

Brown better not be in this package unless they get someone like Olesz back with Luongo.

Is there any date where the most roster moves take place? Or is it a slow process throughout the offseason? I'm eager to see how the Hurricanes shape up for next season.

NBC added a grand total of seven games to their schedule (4 regular season and 3 playoffs). They'll have 10 weeks of regular season and 10 weeks of postseason games.

I'd assume that the deal with OLN won't change much besides their schedule. I heard that they'll be changing their channel name to "Vs." as well.

Interesting report regarding the JJ to the Pens for the #2 overall rumor:

Kyle Woodlief of the Red Line Report is reporting that the deal WILL happen, because Carolina is planning on offering Jack Johnson headlining a package going to the Pens for the #2 overall pick in this year's draft. As a Pens fan, I would be ecstatic if this were true. Jack Johnson is arguably as good, if not better, than Erik Johnson (a little smaller, but more passion) and he's further along than Erik -- which means he's more of a sure thing. Blueline help is what the Pens need most, and Jack could be ready to jump in next year, whereas Erik might be two or three years away from ever suiting up in a Pens uniform. If I was Pittsburgh, I would have to agonize over whether or not to trade for JJ -- and that's STRAIGHT UP. If the Pens were to get JJ plus an additional package of picks/players, I would be absolutely ecstatic.

This goes back to what I was saying about Staal; the 'Canes are clearly convinced that he's the real deal, but he hasn't even proven himself to be much more than just an elite player in the OHL; he's not a team leader as much as he's just a solid, albeit very raw, player. He doesn't take over like Eric did, and despite the physical comparisons, he's still NOT a sure thing.

Should the Canes really do this, or are the Pens committing highway robbery if they accept this trade?

The Canes need defensemen, I guess they'd be depending on Anton Babchuk to pan out. They don't really need forward help. They're dumb for doing this.