TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

-Max, how comfortable are you with Toivenen now as your starter? And nskie's been quiet for a while, since I'm getting a B's fan opinion.

Absolutely fine. Hannu excelled when given a chance last year until he suffered a freak ankle injury. Thomas seems like a worthy back-up, based on the way he played last year in Hannu's absence.

Boynton is supposedly very close to being dealt to Phoenix for Paul Mara.

This bothers me, as I would rather they keep Boynton, sign him to a long-term contract and make him captain.

Has anyone here ever seen Bobby Hughes play? He was the 25th-ranked North American skater and the Hurricanes were able to draft him at the end of the fourth round. He scored 35 goals and tallied 40 assists in 56 games for Kingston of the OHL last year.

As a huge Flames fan, I'm really happy about the Tanguay and Leopold trade.

Leopold was a dissapointment this season, and our defensive core is so good he will likely not be missed. Tanguay will give Iginla the offensive help he needs, and we are likely to get more in the off-season.

GO FLAMES GO

supposedly tanguay is gonna command almost 5 million/year in arbitration.

that hurts. he's good, but in the new nhl, not that good.

How does it hurt? It's an upgrade for our horrible offense. It gives Iginla more help, and a real 2nd scorer.

We already have a large amount of capspace anyway.

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team and Head Coach Peter Laviolette have agreed on a five-year contract. Laviolette led the Hurricanes to the 2006 Stanley Cup championship in his fourth season coaching in the National Hockey League.

How does it hurt? It's an upgrade for our horrible offense. It gives Iginla more help, and a real 2nd scorer.

i dont necessarily think tanguay is going to make a world of difference. he'll help, but the flames have NO offensive punch whatsoever. its a team of grinders. which is fine. but if that one line is shut down, they'll be toast. you can use a huge chunk of your cap space on two guys. thats my opinion. thats why the lightning died this year, too. and thats why the canes did so well.

Ya, you can tell that Gelinas and Conroy was really missed last year, but adding Huesalies was a good spin.

Pisses me off that Colorado gave up all these players in such a short year.

Calgary is supposedly after Marc Savard and/or Jason Arnott to fill the center role. There are players out there that won't cost a whole lot that GM's will dig up and find. Jamie Langenbrunner and Owen Nolan are two, while Valeri Bure is out there as a dumpster dive.

Carter's not. Grier's out there, Allison's not gonna get big dough, Vik Kozlov, Straka, Rucchin. All the UFA's are on the first page, for reference. Well, Rucchin's not an offensive forward, but he can be a stopper.

Tons of cheap offensive talent, defensive talent is going to cost money.

So I had an interesting weekend of work.

Seeing this weekend was the Good as Gold Open at Windermere House where I work (www.goodasgoldopen.ca) We had some celebs here, including...

Steve Yzerman

Darcy Tucker

Ray Emery

Brian McGratton

Brett Lindross

Paul Coffey

Marty McSorely

Mark Napier

Stew Gavin

Billy Hughes

the 2006 Canada Women's Hockey Team.

i dont necessarily think tanguay is going to make a world of difference. he'll help, but the flames have NO offensive punch whatsoever. its a team of grinders. which is fine. but if that one line is shut down, they'll be toast. you can use a huge chunk of your cap space on two guys. thats my opinion. thats why the lightning died this year, too. and thats why the canes did so well.

Like I said, Calgary's cap space is fine. Darryl Sutter isn't an idiot. He knows what he is doing.

If you don't think he's going to make a difference your going to be wrong. He gives much more depth to our offense. Hell last year he even had more points then Iginla. He is a very good passer, and will help Iginla alot. Our team is alot more then "grinders". We got a team with alot of players who can score 20 goals or more. Langkow had 25, Huesalies is far from a grinder, and since coming to Calgary his game is better, he had 20 goals last year, and has proven to be a clutch player. Phanuef will add 20 or more goals to.

Tanguay brings a passing game that Iginla misses with Conroy. And we are adding 1 more center, to spicin up things. Calgary was a Stanley Cup contender last year, and this year they will still be.

Like I said, Calgary's cap space is fine. Darryl Sutter isn't an idiot. He knows what he is doing.

Understatement of the year.

I agree with the remainder of what you said as well, EMHE. There's a difference between a power forward and a grinder. Tanguay is going to fit like a glove with Iginla.

From what I've heard, Eric Staal and Frantisek Kaberle could both be re-signed by the end of the day. Contract negotiations with Erik Cole, Justin Williams, and Matt Cullen are going very well.

Interesting true-but-not-so-strange story:

In 2004/2005, a couple of my buddies and I had an online hockey league in ESPN 2K5, among them Baron. Our buddy Kevin, who's a Habs fan to some degree but is a huge poseur, decided that, after playing the exact same strategy for 40 minutes of a game, that Jose Theodore was at fault for his being down 6-0. So, he put Huet in net. And lost 7-2. So, Kevin decided to play Huet the next four games, all of which he won(he was the best team in the league to begin with, somehow).

When we told him "It's not your goaltending, it's your strategy" he said "NO! HUET > THEODORE!"

Also in the same department. The two worst teams in the league were Me(Edmonton) and a friend of a friend (Carolina).

Oh, how times change indirectly.

Boynton.

I'm sad to see him go. He is the type of player that plays with passion and was one of the few players last season who played like they gave a fuck that the team was so horrifically bad. Nick is one of the players that I would have hoped the Bruins would build around, put the 'C' on him and allow him to grow into a top defenseman. I understand why the move was made, I think this is Chiarelli's attempt to get rid of the negative things that surrounded MOC so he can start fresh and Mara is no slouch and will fit in well on the Bruins blueline. Best of luck to Boynton in Phoenix...except when he's playing the Bruins.

Also, Jeff "Not the real GM" Gorton announced that they got Mara's autograph on a two-year contract...

No holdout? That was easier than Nick...

Boynton.

I'm sad to see him go. He is the type of player that plays with passion and was one of the few players last season who played like they gave a fuck that the team was so horrifically bad. Nick is one of the players that I would have hoped the Bruins would build around, put the 'C' on him and allow him to grow into a top defenseman. I understand why the move was made, I think this is Chiarelli's attempt to get rid of the negative things that surrounded MOC so he can start fresh and Mara is no slouch and will fit in well on the Bruins blueline. Best of luck to Boynton in Phoenix...except when he's playing the Bruins.

Also, Jeff "Not the real GM" Gorton announced that they got Mara's autograph on a two-year contract...

No holdout? That was easier than Nick...

max, you're taking the Boynton trade a lot better than I am. Boynton - to me - was one of the few Bruins that really seemed proud to be a member of the organization. I hate to use this cliche, but he was an 'old-school Bruin'. Yes, he was hotheaded, and, yes, he sometimes took dumb penalties, but he played most of this season with a bad shoulder, and still showed more heart & a stronger want-to-win mentality than anyone else on the roster. And many of the old, beloved Bruins did the same things: played with emotions that sometimes boiled over in a negative way.

You don't trade away players like that, IMHO. You reward them and build around them. You and I have both said this in the past (and you said it in the post that I quoted): Boynton should have been named Captain. I'm going to go as far as to say that he should have been given the 'C' this year.

The fact that Mara re-upped for 2 years helps a little, because I had a sinking feeling that he was good as gone at the end of the year, and the team would have had nothing to show for the deal but a draft pick. Still, though, I'm sick & fucking tired of this organization thinking that signing or trading for local talent is more important than signing and trading for actual talent, or talent that really cares about winning. The fans aren't idiots: we're not going to say, "hey, let's go see the B's play tonight. They have all those guys that went to HS (or college) around here." Fans will go see a team because they're talented and because they win games. And I'm not 100% convinced that the team - with Mara but without Boynton - is better positioned to be a talented, winning taam.

Sorry for the rant - had to get it off my chest.

Happy times for the Pens right now...

The Pens are up for sell as everyone knows, although the bids can't be officially put in before July 1st. Andy Murstein is the only "serious" bidder that is commited to keeping the team here if the slots deal falls through at the end of the year...

He had an interview with a local radio host on ESPN 1250AM and had this to say...

"Last night we firmed up a partnership that we're very excited about. I'm pleased to say that both Mark Cuban and Dan Marino will be part of our group to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins."

and also this from a poster on the LGP.com messageboards who heard snippets of the interview..

1. Both Mark Cuban and Dan Marino have joined Murstein's ownership group in their bid to purchase the Pens.

2. He said they are in the process of firming up what should be a very acceptable bid to purchase the team.

3. He expressly denied any published report that had him commenting on moving the team.

4. In fact, he went completely the opposite way with this. He said his ownership group is willing to wait as long as it'll take to secure a new arena in Pittsburgh. He said the ownership is prepared to play in Mellon Arena as long as it takes for the new arena to become a reality. I thought I heard him mention that he has absolutely no intention of moving the team, but I only caught bits and pieces of that comment.

The full interview is coming up at 4PM today.

Mark Cuban could have a stake in the Penguins and you're happy about it?

Absolutley. If it keeps the team here. He won't be majority owner, he will be a minority owner. This is the best chance to keep the Pens here, I am all for it.

I have no hatred against Cuban. He can be pompus at times, but I'll deal with that. He won't be nearly as close to the ice as he is to the court at NBA games.

max, you're taking the Boynton trade a lot better than I am. Boynton - to me - was one of the few Bruins that really seemed proud to be a member of the organization. I hate to use this cliche, but he was an 'old-school Bruin'. Yes, he was hotheaded, and, yes, he sometimes took dumb penalties, but he played most of this season with a bad shoulder, and still showed more heart & a stronger want-to-win mentality than anyone else on the roster. And many of the old, beloved Bruins did the same things: played with emotions that sometimes boiled over in a negative way.

You don't trade away players like that, IMHO. You reward them and build around them. You and I have both said this in the past (and you said it in the post that I quoted): Boynton should have been named Captain. I'm going to go as far as to say that he should have been given the 'C' this year.

The fact that Mara re-upped for 2 years helps a little, because I had a sinking feeling that he was good as gone at the end of the year, and the team would have had nothing to show for the deal but a draft pick. Still, though, I'm sick & fucking tired of this organization thinking that signing or trading for local talent is more important than signing and trading for actual talent, or talent that really cares about winning. The fans aren't idiots: we're not going to say, "hey, let's go see the B's play tonight. They have all those guys that went to HS (or college) around here." Fans will go see a team because they're talented and because they win games. And I'm not 100% convinced that the team - with Mara but without Boynton - is better positioned to be a talented, winning taam.

Sorry for the rant - had to get it off my chest.

hey, you're alive!

I agree with you wholeheartedly, I think the reason I'm taking it as well as I am is that I understand their reasoning behind making the trade. I also agree that Nick is the type of player that they should build around, center their young defense around and allow him to lead the team and blossom into the top pairing defenseman that he's going to be. Nick did play injured last season and it definitely showed with his performance; He looked lost at times and playwise he was more streaky than usual. He still gave an all out effort everynight and I commend him for it.

But, I also look at this from Chiarelli's side. The fans have taken sides on Boynton regarding his contract shenanigans, resulting in some of the fanbase liking him and some others not liking him. Nick's last holdout cost him valuable time in training camp, resulting in him being a step behind when he finally joined the team. While Chiarelli could easily solve that problem (by signing him to a three/four year contract), he looked at the negativity brought to the team by Boynton, stepped in and delivered a solution.