TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE Cancels 7/4/06 ECW TV @ ECW Arena

From PWInsider:

We've got a new chapter in the "on-again/off-again" saga of whether WWE will present ECW on SciFi from the old ECW Arena in South Philadelphia. Ticketmaster.com is now listing "ECW Live" on July 4th from the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. WWE is running at Wachovia Center the night before (July 3rd) with a "Supershow" Raw broadcast/Smackdown taping. The decision not to run television from the ECW Arena was made last week due to production concerns, mainly not being able to use pyrotechnics in the building. It will be interesting to see what size crowd ECW will be able to draw there on July 4th, the night after a Supershow in the same building.

SO FUCKING LAME. Especially considering that the only people with pyro are Angle and Big Show. It wouldn't be THAT big of a deal to ditch the pyro for one week.

I'm not much of an ECW historian, but didn't they come like THISCLOSE to overloading the electrical circuits in the building the first PPV they did there?

The building just isn't designed to handle a WWE-scale production. It's a shame, but life goes on.

Guest hasbeen

Who cares..some of your complain that it's back, then compain that it's not in the "right" arena. Just don't watch it.

Good luck getting a decent crowd on the 4th of july for a 1 hour show full of ECW guys, even in Philly.

I think you underestimate Philly.

I think we'll have to wait and see with this one. Meltzer is saying that it's very unlikely they will tape ECW at the Wachovia Center one day after the Supershow taping at the same arena. He thinks this is a mistake on Ticketmaster's end. I also don't believe ECW Arena could handle WWE's production, especially a live broadcast. So I'm not sure what they will do 7/4. I was just looking forward to seeing ECW outside of the Smackdown tapings, in an intimate setting, hoping they would tape at least two weeks worth of programming. The perfect home is the Hammerstein Ballroom in NY.

Good luck getting a decent crowd on the 4th of july for a 1 hour show full of ECW guys, even in Philly.

I think you underestimate Philly.

So not only do you have a baseball game going on at the same time, but you also have 4th of July festivities and the like..and you're telling me they'll get a decent crowd selling tickets for 2 weeks? Keep in mind all of the people who probably had tickets to the ECW Arena show being pissed off about that as well..

I'm not much of an ECW historian, but didn't they come like THISCLOSE to overloading the electrical circuits in the building the first PPV they did there?

The building just isn't designed to handle a WWE-scale production. It's a shame, but life goes on.

The story Heyman tells is that 13 seconds after the PPV went off the air, all the power in the arena went out. Of course, I'm willing to bet it's just Heyman hyperbole to make the PPV seem even more legendary.

Anyways, that was a PPV. ECW taped TV there all the time. WWE just won't run there because they can't do their cute little pyro show for ECW rebel The Big Show.

The story Heyman tells is that 13 seconds after the PPV went off the air, all the power in the arena went out. Of course, I'm willing to bet it's just Heyman hyperbole to make the PPV seem even more legendary.

It's actually a true story. The generator gave out literally seconds after the PPV ended.

It's actually a true story. The generator gave out literally seconds after the PPV ended.

I love Raven's addition to that story where Raven recalls a frantic Heyman going nuts because of how tight time was and Raven was telling Paul "Shut up, Paul. It's going to be fine", and Raven tells how he timed the entire finish in his head to the precise moment while Heyman was screaming for him to rush it, Raven just laughed at Heyman.

I love any Raven stories on Heyman. He gives one of the best impressions of Heyman.

I think it's stupid for anyone to use pryo on anyone in ECW unless it's an FMW-esque-fireball across someone's back.

And put that summabitch on the Highlight Reel, STAT!!! Soemone is flipping through the channels, and FIREBALL! That'd draw in the casual fan.

Vince should spend the money to fix up the ECW arena so they can have shows there more often and not have to worry about generators going out.
It alredy has been fixed up quite a bit since the ECW days if I'm not mistaken - if Pyros are their concern no amount of "fixing up" would do.

Why is Pyro important for a wrestler?

Because without pyro, they're just wrestlers, not Superstars or Rebels.

Um...isn't the ECW Arena a pretty small building? How were they going to do pyros in there to begin with without burning the place down?

Who wants to spend fourth of July watching wrestling anyway? I think the question should be asked: Why would they schedule a show on a major summer holiday?

See, now that's the right question to be asking. If the return to Philly for ECW is such a big deal, why not schedule it on a day that some people might watch. I would have even gone down to check it out, but not on the 4th. There's too much good stuff going on.

Who wants to spend fourth of July watching wrestling anyway? I think the question should be asked: Why would they schedule a show on a major summer holiday?

Wrestling fans are losers.

Hell, I'm such a loser that I'm considering going.

Hardcore Homecoming had run out of the ECW Arena, and they approximated a reasonably modern show. Actually, I th ink WEW(I can't believe I bought that DVD...) even pulled off lighting effects there, but I could be wrong. About the only thing they can't do is pyro.

I think we'll have to wait and see with this one. Meltzer is saying that it's very unlikely they will tape ECW at the Wachovia Center one day after the Supershow taping at the same arena. He thinks this is a mistake on Ticketmaster's end. I also don't believe ECW Arena could handle WWE's production, especially a live broadcast. So I'm not sure what they will do 7/4. I was just looking forward to seeing ECW outside of the Smackdown tapings, in an intimate setting, hoping they would tape at least two weeks worth of programming. The perfect home is the Hammerstein Ballroom in NY.

WWE listed it last night on the ECW schedule. Looks like it's not very unlikely, it's happening.