TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

ECW's return to the ECW Arena - Live Results

Those videos, despite being awful quality-wise, made me really wish this was a television taping. I know there were some vocal fans that didn't care for the show but it seems like there was at least a lot of heat for the show and the performers. I'll take a mixed chant of "This Show Sucks" and "ECW" over silent Smackdown fans looking at Sandman like he was an alien or sitting on their hands for a CM Punk debut. And if the television was in front of an ECW crowd at least it would be a meter for Vince to see what's working and what isn't, knowing that the same audience drank Heyman's Kool-Aid previously and seemingly react to things he pushes storyline wise.

From everything I've heard ECW Arena is a dump but I still think the 7/4 tv needed to come from that building. Maybe they'll manage to make the Wachovia Center look intimate enough with the small audience. Hammerstein Ballroom is still the perfect venue. I know Sci-Fi will worry about the crowd chants but hopefully they'll notice that it makes for better television and just slap a Viewer Discretion - Strong Language, Adult Content, Violence tag at the beginning of the show. Wrestling really needs to have those warnings again anyway.

I'm going to have to agree with 2GOLD: if you're trying to market the new ECW to ECW fans, this ain't the way to go. Having Big Show come in and beat Dreamer isn't that bad since Dreamer jobbed a lot in ECW, but still: it's his homecoming. At least give him a fluke victory. A roll-up after a couple of nice chairshots, or even Show knocking himself out by Dreamer reversing something into the ringpost.

Sandman's theme isn't what got him over, but it was a big part of it. If you've never experienced Sandman's entrance, then you wouldn't know. The clean guitar hits, a little hint of a solo with a wah pedal, and then BAM! The drums and the distorted guitar...they build...RIFFAGE AS SANDMAN POPS OUT FROM SOMEWHERE IN THE CROWD! That's a big part of his character. He drinks, he smokes, and he listens to hard rock. A big part of Sandman's character was the fans singing along to the song as he walked through the crowd...but with this one? It can't happen.

Re: a cover of "Enter Sandman"

It can be done. Get a band - possibly Seemless, since I think they could do a damned decent cover of it - to record it for a WWE album. WWE has to pay for the rights to have the band cover the song, pay the band...and then they can use it. I'm pretty sure they can, anyway.

I'm telling you folks turning Sandman heel via martinis, black cane, and tuxedos just so they can use the Richard Cheese version of "Enter Sandman" is the way to go.

It can be done. Get a band - possibly Seemless, since I think they could do a damned decent cover of it - to record it for a WWE album. WWE has to pay for the rights to have the band cover the song, pay the band...and then they can use it. I'm pretty sure they can, anyway.

WWE would still have to pay the band that originally produced the song, Metallica.

If Sandman is so dependent on one song to get over, maybe they should just fire him and be done with it. :P

What he said. Really.

And I agree with the sentiment that Vince needs to understand what it is he's got in ECW: an alternative to the wrestling that is out there already. It's like educating all the WW_-style fans to appreciate something new to them. If some of them fall off and ECW doesn't sell out large arenas, so be it. ECW was never meant for that. But if… IF fans can be educated to liking the "ECW style" of wrestling, like WW_ fans were trained to appreciated the wrestling goodness of the Radicalz back in 2000, things can only look up for the industry as a whole.

Maybe.

And if not, at least I'll be entertained.

Maybe. :(

If they run house shows in smaller venues, and will not be televised, then why dont they have creative control over them? if it's not on tv then it didnt happen, so book the show as if you can do whatever you want in front of the crowd.

Do the exact opposite of whats on tv, as if it never happened.

Don't adhere to whos good or bad, or stupid gimmicks or storylines, Big Show's a fat slob no matter what you do with him, and REALLY make fun of what's wrong with the tv. I was hoping the house shows would be the real money winners because they could sell it as what they could really do without Sci Fi or Vince interference.

They could stir up a house vs tvshow feud.

It'd be like being in 'another dimension'

WWE would still have to pay the band that originally produced the song, Metallica.

Yeah, royalties are a bitch with cover songs. Example: Every time someone buys a copy of Riahanna's "SOS" they have to pay Soft Cell because the beat is borrowed from Tainted Love.

I am sure there are ways that ECW got around it when it's played live at an arena setting. For example, when music is used at a baseball game over the speakers, and that music is heard on TV, it's not the same as directly pumping it through the sound board.

But I am sure WWE sees it as wanting the fans to like the new music so that when they sell DVDs they don't have to pay money and don't need to change it. Sandman's weekly matches seem like attempts just to get the new music over.

*ahem*

"SOS" is not a 'cover' is is a 'travesty' of a sample.

Every time I hear that first beat I get excited that a good song is actually on the radio, oops.

Bah, cover/sample. You knew what I meant. But since a lot of people here don't understant what royalties work I thought that might be a good recent music example.

Technically, WWE using "Enter Sandman" would be Synchronization Royalties, and any fees for it would go to the songwriter of the song and the publisher, not "Metallica" as a whole.