TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest J0bber

Post Your Unpopular Political Opinions

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Atrocities committed by the Japanese against Chinese peasants were every bit as bad as the actions of Hitler or Stalin.

Stalin was worse than Hitler, I think.

Sure, if you wanna just consider total number of people killed.

But, I use the "people killed / years in power" formula.

Hitler was around for 12 years, Stalin was around for 29 years.

Hitler has 11 million if you just count the Holocaust. Stalin probably has more (20 million or so), but he took longer to do so.

Now, if you wanna talk about brutality.

Pol Pot.

Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin...they were all awful. Just because one didn't kill as many as the others doesn't make them less evil.

My unpopular opinions:

Israel

Israel should not be supported by the United States and never should have been formed to begin with. The Palestinians had/have more claim to the land due to the fact there is more of them and they were there first. Israel was formed with support from the United States, based off a mainly religious claim to the land; the United States should not have supported this claim as it violates the separation of church and state.

All Israel is going to do now is get us into more problems with the middle east, because the middle east doesn’t like Israel so by default it becomes the middle east doesn’t like the America based, in large part, to our support of the Zionists.

NASA

NASA is the single most efficient government agency we have and more money should be going its way. Many, if not most of the technological breakthroughs of the last 50 years can be attributed, at least in part, to NASA. NASA currently makes up less than 1% of the national budget; its budget should at the very least, be tripled.

Gay Marriage

The 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of and from religion. As such banning gay marriage is illegal. Gays have every right to marry. The idea of a Civil Union is ridiculous as well as it is simply a form of segregation.

Religion

Though I have no problem with people having religion, I personally find religious people to be weak minded and unwilling to accept that they control their own fate.

The idea of Intelligent Design being taught in schools is ridiculous as it has no basis in scientific fact. Yup, evolution is a theory, just like gravity.

Gas

We should tax the shit out of gas. Gas is currently around $3/galloon, adding on a dollar or two a galloon tax would promote alternative forms of energy and transportation, promote car pooling and lessen traffic.

North Korea

We have Nukes. Who are we to tell North Korea that they can’t have them? A policy on Nuclear Weapons needs to be the same worldwide. None of these some countries can have them and others can’t. We need to lead by example.

gWil knows the score, except maybe about the point about religious people being weak minded.

Unpopular opinion:

- Prisons should be done away with, or at least drastically modified. Same goes for prisoners working as slave labourers.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

Are you saying the Prisoners should then be killed or let go free? Should the prisons be harsher or more about Rehab?

gWil knows the score, except maybe about the point about religious people being weak minded.

Unpopular opinion:

- Prisons should be done away with, or at least drastically modified. Same goes for prisoners working as slave labourers.

I think prisons should be turned into labor camps, where the prisoners build common goods for people to use.

As for gWil's comments...his use of the term "Zionists" is pretty telling as far as his motivation for his comments about Israel...

North Korea

We have Nukes. Who are we to tell North Korea that they can’t have them? A policy on Nuclear Weapons needs to be the same worldwide. None of these some countries can have them and others can’t. We need to lead by example.

Well, I agree in principle with this. It is hypocritical. But Kim Jong is a fucking lunatic, so I'll make an exception. :P

NASA

NASA is the single most efficient government agency we have and more money should be going its way. Many, if not most of the technological breakthroughs of the last 50 years can be attributed, at least in part, to NASA. NASA currently makes up less than 1% of the national budget; its budget should at the very least, be tripled.

NASA is one one of the most INefficient organizations going right now, and has been for about 30 years. They haven't developed much that's useful since the 70s.

North Korea

Well, I agree in principle with this. It is hypocritical. But Kim Jong is a fucking lunatic, so I'll make an exception. :P

I don't think I care about the hypocrisy. We should be the only country in the world with nukes.

Oooooooooooooooooooookay

There's a big difference in a stable democracy having nuclear weapons, and an isolated dictatorship having them. That should be obvious. There is no hypocrisy. Some countries are responsible enough, and in good standing with the international community, to have nukes. North Korea does not fall into that category.

Plus, our track record shows that we haven't used atomic bombs wantonly in the last sixty years.

There's a big difference in a stable democracy having nuclear weapons, and an isolated dictatorship having them. That should be obvious. There is no hypocrisy. Some countries are responsible enough, and in good standing with the international community, to have nukes. North Korea does not fall into that category.

Plus, our track record shows that we haven't used atomic bombs wantonly in the last sixty years.

When the US has shown that they are willing to make preemptive attacks on countries, then it's not surprising that rogue nations will develop deterrents. The US currently have thousands of soldiers stationed in South Korea. Remember the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Are you saying the Prisoners should then be killed or let go free? Should the prisons be harsher or more about Rehab?

Attempted rehab, first and foremost.

I think prisons should be turned into labor camps, where the prisoners build common goods for people to use.

I don't think we should be following a type of model similiar to that of Nazi Germany. The state should have no right forcing anyone into slave labour as it is a gross human rights violation.

I don't think we should be following a type of model similiar to that of Nazi Germany. The state should have no right forcing anyone into slave labour as it is a gross human rights violation.

It's not slave labour if they're getting paid for it (which they do). Don't you know where license plates are made?

I think cynicism has become an excuse to be ignorant about politics, and I'm absolutely sick of people who claim that the government is corrupt as a reason not to vote.

How is government ever going to get cleaned up if you don't help vote those people out?

NASA

NASA is one one of the most INefficient organizations going right now, and has been for about 30 years. They haven't developed much that's useful since the 70s.

You're just wrong. From thespaceplace.com,

"Out of a $2.4 trillion budget, less than 0.8% is spent on the entire space program! That's less than 1 penny for every dollar spent. The average American spends more of their budget on their cable bill, eating out or entertainment than this yet the benefits of space flight are remarkable. It has been conservatively estimated by U.S. space experts that for every dollar the U.S. spends on R and D in the space program, it receives $7 back in the form of corporate and personal income taxes from increased jobs and economic growth. Besides the obvious jobs created in the aerospace industry, thousands more are created by many other companies applying NASA technology in nonspace related areas that affect us daily."

very partial list of things gained through NASA, check out the site for hundreds more.

AIR QUALITY MONITOR

VIRTUAL REALITY

Advanced keyboards,

Customer Service Software

Database Management System

Laser Surveying, Aircraft controls

Lightweight Compact Disc

Expert System Software

Microcomputers

ENRICHED BABY FOOD

WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM

SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES

POOL PURIFICATION

GOLF BALL AERODYNAMICS

PORTABLE COOLERS/WARMERS

ATHLETIC SHOES

Dustbuster

shock-absorbing helmets

home security systems

smoke detectors

flat panel televisions

high-density batteries

trash compactors

food packaging

freeze-dried technology

cool sportswear

sports bras

hair styling appliances

fogless ski goggles

self-adjusting sunglasses

composite golf clubs

hang gliders

art preservation

WEATHER FORECASTING AID

FOREST MANAGEMENT

SENSORS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL

FIRE RESISTANT MATERIAL

RADIATION INSULATION

noise abatement

pollution measuring devices

pollution control devices

smokestack monitor

radioactive leak detector

earthquake prediction system

sewage treatment

energy saving air conditioning

air purification

DIGITAL IMAGING BREAST BIOPSY SYSTEM

BREAST CANCER DETECTION

LASER ANGIOPLASTY

ULTRASOUND SKIN DAMAGE ASSESSMENT

HUMAN TISSUE STIMULATOR

PROGRAMMABLE PACEMAKER

AUTOMATED URINALYSIS

VOICE-CONTROLLED WHEELCHAIR

Arteriosclerosis detection

ultrasound scanner

automatic insulin pump

portable x-ray device

invisible braces

dental arch wire

palate surgery technology

implantable heart aid

MRI

bone analyzer

cataract surgery tools

Unpopular opinion:

As for gWil's comments...his use of the term "Zionists" is pretty telling as far as his motivation for his comments about Israel...

I am anti-Zionist, not anti-Semitic and I resent that implication.

The Palestinians had/have more claim to the land due to the fact there is more of them and they were there first

The Native Americans were here first, and initially, there were more of them.

:lol:

Alright, everybody. Get the fuck out!

I'm not saying we should make them leave, just withdraw support from them. If they threaten the use of nuclear weapons to defend themselves, then we would be forced to prevent them from doing so.

"Out of a $2.4 trillion budget, less than 0.8% is spent on the entire space program!

0.8% too much. It's fucking useless.

NASA is really the embodiment of the "American Way" more than a lot of other things we do, but an entire generation has been born and grown up knowing it as nothing more than an agency that peaked in the 60s and simply performs vague experiments on a space station now. Guys, we're talking about moving the human race beyond the boundaries of Earth. That's some incredible shit to really think about, and it's a fucking shame that it disappeared from everyone's radar of importances after we drove around on the Moon a little.

Seriously, though, I'd like to see a moon-conspiracy theorist explain what the point of the Apollo 13 mission was.

"Out of a $2.4 trillion budget, less than 0.8% is spent on the entire space program!

0.8% too much. It's fucking useless.

Defend that statement.

very partial list of things gained through NASA, check out the site for hundreds more.

AIR QUALITY MONITOR

VIRTUAL REALITY

Advanced keyboards,

Customer Service Software

Database Management System

Laser Surveying, Aircraft controls

Lightweight Compact Disc

Expert System Software

Microcomputers

ENRICHED BABY FOOD

WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEM

SCRATCH-RESISTANT LENSES

POOL PURIFICATION

GOLF BALL AERODYNAMICS

PORTABLE COOLERS/WARMERS

ATHLETIC SHOES

Dustbuster

shock-absorbing helmets

home security systems

smoke detectors

flat panel televisions

high-density batteries

trash compactors

food packaging

freeze-dried technology

cool sportswear

sports bras

hair styling appliances

fogless ski goggles

self-adjusting sunglasses

composite golf clubs

hang gliders

art preservation

WEATHER FORECASTING AID

FOREST MANAGEMENT

SENSORS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL

FIRE RESISTANT MATERIAL

RADIATION INSULATION

noise abatement

pollution measuring devices

pollution control devices

smokestack monitor

radioactive leak detector

earthquake prediction system

sewage treatment

energy saving air conditioning

air purification

DIGITAL IMAGING BREAST BIOPSY SYSTEM

BREAST CANCER DETECTION

LASER ANGIOPLASTY

ULTRASOUND SKIN DAMAGE ASSESSMENT

HUMAN TISSUE STIMULATOR

PROGRAMMABLE PACEMAKER

AUTOMATED URINALYSIS

VOICE-CONTROLLED WHEELCHAIR

Arteriosclerosis detection

ultrasound scanner

automatic insulin pump

portable x-ray device

invisible braces

dental arch wire

palate surgery technology

implantable heart aid

MRI

bone analyzer

cataract surgery tools

I think cynicism has become an excuse to be ignorant about politics, and I'm absolutely sick of people who claim that the government is corrupt as a reason not to vote.

How is government ever going to get cleaned up if you don't help vote those people out?

I don't know if that should be construed as unpopular. I fucking love these people who think the government is just out to get them. You were right on the money.