TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dobbs 3K

Sad story...

From the Grand Forks Herald. This illustrates why some people just shouldn't have kids.

Baby found dead in vehicle

Mother apparently forgot to drop off baby at day care

By Lisa Gibson

Herald Staff Writer

A 5-month-old baby died in a minivan Wednesday after the mother apparently forgot to drop the child off at day care.

The tragedy was discovered about 5:30 p.m. outside the Wonder Years 2 day care. The baby's mother stopped at the day care after work to pick up the child and was told by staff that the baby had not been dropped off. She realized then that the baby had been in her minivan all day.

"The mother had forgotten to drop off the child at day care in the morning," said Curt Kreun, owner of Wonder Years 2. "She actually came in the building to pick up the child and then realized what had happened."

The child was in a car seat in the back of the vehicle, according to Sgt. Jeff Burgess of the Grand Forks Police Department. A Wonder Years 2 staff member made the 911 call, according to Kreun.

Staff members had taken the baby out of the van and started CPR before the ambulance arrived. Kreun said he reached the scene about 6 p.m. and emergency personnel already had gotten the word from Altru to cease resuscitation.

"The child had probably passed away a while before she got to the day care," Kreun said.

Kreun, who has been in the child care business for years, said near-tragedies happen all too often.

"I know people who have gotten to work and realized they forgot to drop off their kids and had to go back."

Kreun said it would have been impossible for passersby to see the baby in the van, which had tinted windows.

"I walked around that van about 14 times after they left, and you would not have been able to see in there," he said.

The incident is under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Bureau, but police told Kreun they didn't expect charges to be filed.

"They're looking at it as a tragic accident," he said. "This is by far the most devastating thing I've had to witness."

"There are no arrests being made tonight," said Burgess. "I can tell you that."

The cause of death had not yet been confirmed Wednesday night, but a likely cause of death in cases where children are left in hot vehicles is hyperthermia.

The temperature in a parked car rises very rapidly, even when the windows are left open a crack. Studies show that the temperature can rise as much as 50 degrees in an hour.

Wednesday's high was 79 degrees, so the temperature in the van easily could have exceeded 100 degrees.

Guest Felonies!

This is George Bush's fault.

There, now it's relevant to C-Bacon.

I can see losing a set of car keys. I can see forgetting my lunch in the fridge or leaving a jar of mayo out on the counter. HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE BE THAT STUPID ENOUGH TO FORGET THEIR CHILD!

Fluff story coffee.gif.

Well, what's Chomsky think about it?

Fluff story coffee.gif.

Noam Chomsky would probably say we need to be compassionate and understanding towards this woman, and that her forgetting her child in her own vehicle is a sign that the borgeoise government is leaving behind the masses, or something.

Guest InuYasha

This reminds me of what happened at a Target store when I was shopping one time.As I was loading my groceries and stuff into the car, a mini-van with two parents and a little baby pulled in. Both parents got out of the van, locked the doors, and shut the doors at the same time. The one driving forgot the keys. So, the baby was locked in the car. The store management ended up calling the police, who were able to slim-jim the doors open. That mom was really freaking out, I'll tell you.

Guest Felonies!
This reminds me of what happened at a Target store when I was shopping one time.As I was loading my groceries and stuff into the car, a mini-van with two parents and a little baby pulled in. Both parents got out of the van, locked the doors, and shut the doors at the same time. The one driving forgot the keys. So, the baby was locked in the car. The store management ended up calling the police, who were able to slim-jim the doors open. That mom was really freaking out, I'll tell you.

You shop at Target? Wal-Mart does not approve of this treason, Mr. T!

Fluff story coffee.gif.

Noam Chomsky would probably say we need to be compassionate and understanding towards this woman, and that her forgetting her child in her own vehicle is a sign that the borgeoise government is leaving behind the masses, or something.

Addressing the root cause for this sort of negligence would make sense.

Fluff story coffee.gif.

You're suggesting they shoot the mom for being stupid?

It's a shame. The frequency with which this happens to what seems like usually responsible parents is going to give me OCD about checking the car seat in the back of my vehicle, should I be a parent someday. I can be pretty forgetful, but I hope to be always conscious of the fact my baby is with me.

Mostly I try to imagine these people's rides to work when these accidents occur. I would guess that they don't engage the baby by talking to it a lot...they must be thinking about work deadlines, bills, or other stressers that take up most of a waking person's thoughts each day. My God, how these parents must be kicking themselves for the rest of their lives. I don't know how I could live with myself knowing I killed someone I love with a brain fart.

Guest Felonies!

Fluff story coffee.gif.

Yeah, this is George Bush's fault.

Guest Felonies!

You gotta give that stupid fucking smiley a rest, man. People who use "emoticons" without any sense of self-aware facetiousness are the dregs.

Guest Felonies!

God, they're not even smileys offered by the default board, he's looking elsewhere for them. How has C-Bacon not gotten the ridicule that all the other liberal CE guys have gotten?