TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

What program would you like to see ME Raw?

The Cena/Edge program has basically been going on since January at this point, and I think Summerslam is about as far as they can possibly stretch it out. My question is what program would you like to see main event Raw going into Unforgiven. The main event roster on Raw is pretty thin right now, as you've got Cena, Edge, DX, Orton, and that's about it. I suppose Kane's a possibility, but when you're character's so screwed up that they take you off the air for weeks at a time, you're probably not ready for a world title shot.

Anyway, the one program that really stands out to me as interesting right now is Edge/Shawn Michaels. I can't remember seeing them have a one-on-one PPV match ever, and it seems like their styles would compliment each other well. Edge is pretty good at varying his offense, and working over body parts, and Shawn's selling has always been one of his strong points. Also, the promos woud be terrific with Edge the actual young "degenerate" type facing Shawn, who might be a little cooler, but is quite a bit too old to play the part.

Also, Edge has been doing awesome heel work for the past few months, but most of it's been going for naught as he hasn't had a strong face to work off of. Cena just isn't over with the majority of the male fans, and too many of them are cheering Edge for any of his nefarious tactics to really get to anyone. Take the screwjob at SNME for instance. The Dusty finish didn't even seem relevant because most of the fans didn't care if Cena won. Meanwhile, DX has been getting huge pops since their return, and I'm sure that if HBK was challenging, the heat would be a lot stronger.

Of course, this plan is impractical for a number of reasons:

1. HHH can't play the second banana. Both due to internal power, and for character reasons as well. I mean, he turned on Shawn before because he was jealous of him, he's talked hundreds of times about he was obsessed with the title, and he turned face when he was fighting Vince about getting a title shot. Somehow, it would just seem weird for him to hang out backstage and pull pranks with someone who was carrying the championship belt.

2. Shawn Michaels is supposedly taking time off after Summerslam. He can't be starting a big main event program if he's not even on the show.

3. Vince is just too high on Cena. Despite the fact that he turns off a number of viewers, and ruins main events when he doesn't have a counter-culture tweener like RVD to work off, he's still booked to win almost every match he's in, and I can't see him losing to Edge at Summerslam.

So what does that leave us with? Face Cena who half the crowd hates against heel Orton who gets little reaction either way, and will be coming off a loss to a 60 year old man? Cena/Edge part XXVIII? Cena/HHH that we've already seen multiple times, still waiting for the double turn? What do you think the WWE should do with the Raw main event scene after Summerslam?

I'd have Cena get screwed out of winning the title at SummerSlam by someone interfering, I'll use KANE!!! as an example. Cena can feud with him at Unforgiven.

Anyway, the one program that really stands out to me as interesting right now is Edge/Shawn Michaels. I can't remember seeing them have a one-on-one PPV match ever

I enjoyed their match at the 2005 Royal Rumble, but that's just me. I wouldn't mind Edge / Michaels main eventing Unforgiven. Edge can go over and injure Shawn's knee, taking him out. HHH in the meantime can feud with Orton. After seeing HBK get hurt, HHH vows revenge.

If they absolutely have to stretch Cena / Edge even more, I'd make Unforgiven the final encounter with Edge going over clean since I don't want Cena to be the WWE Champion for a LONG time if he's going to stay face. Of course, the best way to finish off this feud is HIAC, but of course HHH won't allow that.

The problem with pushing Cena aside is the lack of babyfaces behind him. Some blame can be placed on the writers for the lack of guys coming up, but everyone in the upper-midcard on RAW are all terrible faces. Literally a laundry list of flops. They're going to run with Cena until everyone tires of him. Then again, with his movie coming up soon, the show has to focus around him.

They've got three months to find someone to supplant Cena after his movie comes out. If they don't, they could be in an even worse situation.

That said, the next best thing they've got beyond DX for a legitimate face is Benjamin.

The problem with pushing Cena aside is the lack of babyfaces behind him. Some blame can be placed on the writers for the lack of guys coming up, but everyone in the upper-midcard on RAW are all terrible faces. Literally a laundry list of flops. They're going to run with Cena until everyone tires of him. Then again, with his movie coming up soon, the show has to focus around him.

You can talk about the face side being bad, but I'm pretty sure that the heel side's even worse right now. After Edge and Orton, the #3 heel is probably Johnny Nitro, and he's currently playing second fiddle to the #4 diva in Melina. If Edge was carrying the belt for a while, it wouldn't be as noticeable, but with a face champion, I think it would look pretty bad. Then, when you have a face champion who's not very over like Cena, it makes it even worse because you can't put him in a face/face match.

I actually liked the idea of Shawn challenging and ultimately losing and getting injured, leading to another HHH title shot. That would give them a chance to build up the HHH/Edge feud in a fresh manner when it came along instead of feeling like a rehash of what happened in April.

Trips is leaving to go be a Dad soon. I think a Shawn/Edge would be great if Shawn got back into his Hogan feud persona and Edge pointing out that as an over-the-hill born-again Shawn doesn't have the bad boy prestige anymore. I'd also think a Shawn/Foley No-DQ match be fun, especially since the one other time they had a big match it was an excellent psychological match but not heavy on the tacks and sharp things that Mick is well known for. But there'd be no elevation so it's a waste of both guys' time.

I don't know why everyone is so convinced that Orton is going to job for Hogan. Unlike his other appearances, Hogan is here to promote his daughter, and if his jobbing will result in better exposure for his daughter, then why not job? But when you have a guy called "Legend Killer," it's not a suprise that some days he will be jobbing to guys who are really too old for someone his age to be putting over, otherwise it's just too predictible that he'll beat them.

Guest Princess Leena

I'd like to see Cena/HHH... with HHH mercifully turning on Shawn, and ending the depressing DX.

HHH finally gets his win over Cena, and all is back to status quo.

The problem is where you go from there. But, whatever.

I think it'd be cool if Shawn turned on HHH for a change..but I dont know how that would work. The whole HHH turning on Shawn thing is just too obvious, and while I dont really like the whole DX thing, ending it like that, that quick (only like 3 months) is really stupid.

I honestly just can't stand Edge as a champion. His chracter is just completely annoying. He tries so hard to come off as a sarcastic asshole, but just ends up being completely annoying during his promos. He has to resort to the old Honky Tonk Man method of cheating during his matches and intentionally getting DQ'd to retain his heat. There's just nothing at all about him that screams "Main Event" to me, he doesn't have the look or the presence about him at all. Put the belt back on Cena and have him feud wth either Orton, or a returning Kurt Angle.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

Edge and HBK is the only good program they could do at the moment. There are no other good faces on Raw. It's not going to happen, so unless they turn Shelton, we're doomed to another year of Cena.

Have we all forgot about Carlito? I think Carlito could easily become the next top face on Raw. Now that he's showing more in the ring and added to his charisma, I think he's the best option to keep both casual fans and hardcore smarks happy.

I just had a vision where Hogan goes over Orton at Summerslam, and then they plug Hogan with Edge for a title match at Unforgiven to pop a buyrate and then put HHH up against Edge at Survivor Series (keeping in mind that theres another RAW PPV before Survivor Series)..

Guest Princess Leena
I think it'd be cool if Shawn turned on HHH for a change..but I dont know how that would work. The whole HHH turning on Shawn thing is just too obvious, and while I dont really like the whole DX thing, ending it like that, that quick (only like 3 months) is really stupid.

In business terms, it is stupid to end DX any time soon.

But, it's really painful for me to watch. Embarassing.

WWE going back to 2 brands where the Smackdown talent pool will be distributed/drafted to Raw and ECW getting the spot on the new network CW. Basically all of the smaller wrestlers would go to ECW and people like Booker T, Lashley, Regal, Finely, Undertaker go to Raw. I would have the Intercontinental Championship revolve around Nitro, Hardy, Carlito, Cash, Striker. The US Championship would be for the bigger midcard wrestlers of Shelton, Haas, Lashley, UMAGA, male cheerleaders. The Tag division being Highlanders, Eugene & Duggan, cheerleaders and other various gay gimmicks. The main event consisting of Booker T, Regal, Edge, HHH, Cena, Orton, Undertaker.

In business terms, it is stupid to end DX any time soon.

But, it's really painful for me to watch. Embarassing.

They wouldn't be that bad if they had a little direction. A real wrestling feud with some dueling promos with Edge or something, and I think they'd be fine. It's only when they're put in a multi-month feud with Vince and the Spirit Squad that they wear thin.

Oh, and if those dueling promos contained the words "mid-life crisis", Edge would gain 15 overness points.

Guest Doombiscuit
Have we all forgot about Carlito? I think Carlito could easily become the next top face on Raw. Now that he's showing more in the ring and added to his charisma, I think he's the best option to keep both casual fans and hardcore smarks happy.

I agree. They could go with Michaels vs Edge at Unforgiven and let Michaels do an injury angle to take time off. Then give Carlito the shot at Survivors in a real underdog role. They could have Edge insult him as being able to talk the talk but not walk the walk then have Carlito look really good in the match but get screwed. Meanwhile HHH is wanting revenge on Edge but is held off from facing him by MacMahon/Orton denying him a title shot or something. That way Edge v HHH can be saved for a while.

I think this'd be a good move as it'd cement Edge as champ, give us a change in the main event scene, hopefully provide some fun promos and allow Carlito to have a go at being a Main Eventer on a card that isn't solely relying on him to sell it (cause SS will probably be main evented by a 8 man tag match or Batista reclaiming his title). If he fails he fails but if he does okay (though I don't think he could realistically be a long-term headliner) hurrah!

Cena meanwhile should be kept away from the main event till around Rumble or Mania. Speaking of which, what should headline that? Maybe Edge v Cena v HHH 2 with face HHH finally getting the pin on Cena?

It would require WWE to actually have a idea of what they want for WMXXIII because they can't fuck around like they have the last 2 WM's and wait until January to get started. Granted, Smackdown had a mountain of shit that disrupted everything.

They need to decide what will be each brand's represented world title and main event.

You will need at least one ACE main event draw (and it probably won't be Austin/Hogan). Right now, there isn't much to offer as a big time main event draw. This would require a loaded card from top to bottom with purpose.

I just had a vision where Hogan goes over Orton at Summerslam, and then they plug Hogan with Edge for a title match at Unforgiven to pop a buyrate and then put HHH up against Edge at Survivor Series (keeping in mind that theres another RAW PPV before Survivor Series)..

You know, thats not that bad of an idea, this is assuming Edge goes over Cena at SummerSlam (which I doubt).

The key, as many have stated, is that Edge keeps the title for a good while and just doesnt job it back to Cena when that "right time" comes. In fact I will go so far as to say they need Cena-Edge at SummerSlam in a complete blowoff match for the two with some I quit stipulation or something. Edge needs some credibility AS champ and thats only going to come from the guy that discontinued that credibility before in Cena. In the world of "even-ness" in WWE where it seems like guys job to each other only to get the job back in due time, it only makes sense. Plus like others have said, Cena as champ is what draws the negative reaction from the fans, so they need to take their time to even consider putting it back on him, probably at earliest being Mania to be honest, if not even past that.

Now we all know Orton is jobbing to Hogan (Observer stated its already in the books as of a few weeks ago) so it just makes sense to go to Hogan/Edge in a short feud at Unforgiven and maybe even Taboo Tuesday isnt out of the question (depends how much Hogan wants to work with WWE post-SummerSlam, I guess) to blow that whole deal off. Hogan/Edge could work, playing off Edge's past w/ Hogan. That is the feud they should really aim to go for, I think. The Unforgiven match can be a screwjob w/ Orton costing Hogan the match, leading to a rematch w/ Hogan and Orton at Survivor Series, while Edge could work a match w/ HHH at Survivor Series.

Michaels/Edge.........I dunno, not really feeling it. Michaels is injured and wont be able to work likely as good of a match as these two have had before. PLUS they have feuded before earlier this year on and off......I think the more realistic deal here is that we might see Michaels/Edge in more of a hyped up main event on a loaded Raw in the fall or SNME, leading to HHH/Edge from there (Vince will continue to keep blocking HHH from a title shot by having Orton be his sidekick, post SummerSlam to feud with HHH at Unforgiven and Taboo Tuesday).

Carlito has a strong upside but it will take time to get him past IC title status and upward....ironically enough it may not be until a Cena heel turn takes into effect that he can really reach a strong program with a main eventer, as I just can't see Carlito mesh well with other heels like Orton or Edge, really.

Not bad, but will we be able to Umaga seriously in three/six months, if he keeps going over jobbers and Duggan?

Somewhere in all of this, Chris Masters will be back, and he can play the UMC heel role just fine, I think.

Cena needs to stop being built as an unbeatable Superman to make Raw more interesting. Why wasn't there a draft this year?

Not bad, but will we be able to Umaga seriously in three/six months, if he keeps going over jobbers and Duggan? It makes sense, especially on the grounds that I've always been partial to monster heels.

Somewhere in all of this, Chris Masters will be back, and he can play the UMC heel role just fine, I think.

Cena needs to stop being built as an unbeatable Superman to make Raw more interesting. Why wasn't there a draft this year?

Cena isn't over? Are we really going back to this again?

I'd try a Cena vs. DX feud, and let the fans decide who they want to cheer for. It'll probably be DX, but I think once Cena starts acting a bit heelish (since its against DX), they'll start cheering for him.

Heel Cena w/Vince vs Triple H. Maybe even heel Edge/Cena team against DX if they could find a decent reason to stick Edge/Cena together...which they couldn't.

Edge-HHH would be a no brainer....but it makes sense so it'll happen late next year when we no longer care

RVD vs Rey Mysterio for the Undisputed WWE Championship.

Easily the most unlikely and at the same most entertaining option in this thread.

This unfortunatly will never happen but I woould love to see The Rock come back, at least for a month, verbally rape Cena, and help Cena with a full heel turn.

Other than that, dont put the belt on Batista on SD and bring him in to fued with Cena

If the want to keep cross-promoting ecw-raw, then I'd like to see a Sabu/ Cena or Sabu / Edge fued.