TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

This is the NFL Preseason Thread

It's the 1st week of the preseason. Let's stop overanalyzing things.

Meh. That's what the preseason is for. Tons of either overly optimistic fans or realistic fans.

Agreed.

I really believe that Hank Baskett could be a contender for ROY, from the look of things. McNabb is back to spreading the ball around, which is always good. I think the Eagles could truly win the divison. We have a strong defense aswell, with Lito Sheppard coming back.

Guest Princess Leena

Adrian McPherson-QB- Saints Aug. 12 - 10:25 pm et

The AP reports Saints QB/KR Adrian McPherson was injured Saturday night when the Titans' team mascot hit him in the leg on a golf cart.

McPherson walked off the field but didn't play in the game. We wonder if the funny incident hurt McPherson's chances of making the team.

I must say this sucks, though. McPherson won't ever be a starting QB, probably... but, he's really fun to watch in preseason.

I still don't know why they didn't give him a shot when they sat Aaron Brooks for whatever reason last year. I mean, you know what your gonna get from Todd Bouman.

I always liked trading for him in Madden and turning him into a huge superstar. Pretty easy since he's basically a really, really rough Donovan Mcnabb in that game.

Guest Flyboy

He'll be doing special teams for us this year... returning punts and kickoffs probably. Don't be surprised to see him on offense at the skill position as well.

It's the 1st week of the preseason. Let's stop overanalyzing things.

Speaking of which, I'd like to congratulate the eventual Super Bowl champion Houston Texans (hey, I didn't say HOW eventual) on opening the preseason by beating the Chiefs 24-14. Kubiak gets a win, Carr looks better than he has, and Mario did what he was supposed to do, which is tie up two blockers a lot of the time and open up someone else. Despite what ESPN wants to believe, Kyle Turley didn't "own" Super Mario.

And, if I were Domanick Davis and Vernand Morency, I'd have my pads on and ready to practice on Monday morning. Wali Lundy, Chris Taylor, and even Damien Rhodes all looked good/very good running the ball. And Kubiak has proven that he doesn't need a big name RB to produce a running game.

Guest Princess Leena

Isn't Antowain Smith the backup in Houston for now? Even though he's old and super slow now, he always seems to hang around because of his size, which he doesn't use.

I'd like to see Lundy get a shot when Davis' knee(s) put him on the shelf again soon. He had a great game this week, and he always impressed at Virginia with his cuts and moves and such.

I couldn't be happier with the Panthers' performance.

Defense forced a three-and-out on Buffalo's first offensive drive with a Julius Peppers' sack on third down.

Jake Delhomme completed two passes to Keary Colbert, two passes to Keyshawn Johnson, and a touchdown pass to Drew Carter.

Defense forced another three-and-out on Buffalo's second offensive drive, on third down Julius Peppers drew a holding penalty that wiped out a first down play by Buffalo.

Ken Lucas intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown on Buffalo's third offensive drive.

Kris Jenkins and Maake Kemoeatu looked very solid on the interior and Willis McGahee was just swallowed up on nearly every play.

DeAngelo Williams looked solid, but our second-team offensive line didn't give him any room to work with. Hopefully, as the preseason progresses, he'll take a few more snaps with the starters.

The Ravens almost have to be an improvement over last year and the game vs the Giants, even though it was a loss, was a good showing by the guys that will be out there playing 60 minutes in the regular season.

Im interested in seeing how well Anthony Wright plays tonight for the Bengals vs the Redskins tonight. Bengals fans should be hoping Palmer can be ready for the Regular Season.

Checking out Football Outsiders unit rankings for the 49ers is just depressing, throw in their best/worst unit picks.

QB: 29th

Best: Colts

Worst: Bills

RB: 29th

Best: Seahawks

Worst: Jets

WR/TE: 30th

Best: Cowboys

Worst: Bears

OL: 30th

Best: Broncos

Worst: Cardinals

DL: 24th

Best: Bears

Worst: Jets

LB: 31st

Best: Steelers

Worst: Saints

DB: 28th

Worst: Chargers

Well I guess on the brightside they don't rank dead last in any category.

"Dr Z" at cnnsi.com is apparently of the opinion that Brett Favre is one bad season away from not being a first-ballot hall of famer.

I think Favre has largely been helped by the number of pass attempts he's had in his career.

Number of 20+ INT Seasons: 5

Seasons with less than 510 (32 a game) attempts: 2

Seasons with less than 7.0 YPA: 7

For comparison here's another guy who's questioned as a HOF candidate: Vinny Testaverde

Number of 20+ INT Seasons: 4

Seasons with more than 500 attempts: 2

Seasons with less than 7.0 YPA: 6

Favre already ranks 2nd to Dan Marino in all-time pass attempts.

Anthony Wright has looked good.

Shocking.

And the Redskins are screwed if Portis is hurt although its just a seperated shoulder so I doubt its much..

They'd be double screwed if Brunell gets hurt. Todd Collins is something terrible.

Guest Princess Leena

Todd Collins is your backup for 40-year old Brunell? Meep. Pray.

Guest Princess Leena

I forgot about Campbell. He's not good either, though. I have no idea why he was a 1st round pick.

Guest Vitamin X
I think Favre has largely been helped by the number of pass attempts he's had in his career.

Number of 20+ INT Seasons: 5

Seasons with less than 510 (32 a game) attempts: 2

Seasons with less than 7.0 YPA: 7

For comparison here's another guy who's questioned as a HOF candidate: Vinny Testaverde

Number of 20+ INT Seasons: 4

Seasons with more than 500 attempts: 2

Seasons with less than 7.0 YPA: 6

Favre already ranks 2nd to Dan Marino in all-time pass attempts.

To be more accurate, it's the number of pass attempts. I don't buy much into what Dr. Z says, either.. Favre's accomplished pretty much everything and more than many first ballot HOFers have.. How many of them have 3 consecutive MVP awards and a Super Bowl ring, and has been recognized as probably the toughest QB to ever play the game? The guy has a legend all his own. Marino had a couple shitty seasons at the end of his career, and Elway was helped by the fact he had a great team the last couple years of his career. Steve Young didn't have a great last couple seasons, having been marred due to concussions. Same with Aikman.

Even if Favre has a bad season again this year (and I've said it all along- the success of the Packers' offense, if not the whole team- will depend on the offensive line), I don't think his legacy will be ruined.

Checking out Football Outsiders unit rankings for the 49ers is just depressing, throw in their best/worst unit picks.

OL

Worst: Cardinals

How can the Cardinals have a worse OL then the Texans?

Why isn't the Redskins backup the Auburn guy they took in the first round?

Because he's still a very big project who hasn't learned that lofting the ball down the sideline into triple coverage may work at Auburn against Arkansas, but it's not going to work against anyone in the NFL.

Good, tight passes going short but just blame scary bad going deep.

Anthony Wright has looked good.

Shocking.

And the Redskins are screwed if Portis is hurt although its just a seperated shoulder so I doubt its much..

They'd be double screwed if Brunell gets hurt. Todd Collins is something terrible.

Not against the Redskins STARTERS on Defense. The Bengals starting offense, against the Skins starting defense netted an entire -19 Yards. Of course, there was no Carlson Palmer, but it was really the Run-Stuffing that kept setting up the 3rd & Impossible scenarious that would be hard for any QB to overcome on a regular basis.

As for the 'Skins offense. Much of what I expected, Passes to Cooley and Moss looked sharp, while his timing with Lloyd was a bit off, with more accurate passes, Lloyd goes into the endzone twice in the first quarter, the diving catch he made, he had a lot of seperation but the pass was thrown over him and he had to dive to make the catch, and then he was wide open down the field and Brunell over-threw him.

Portis's injury SUCKS BIG TIME, but I just have a hard time believing he won't be ready for the season opener.

Tod Collins was a definate dissapointment, but Jason Campbell showed some flashes, he has the presence in the pocket, has the arm, the awareness, now he just needs to learn the playbook. Gibbs said he will be #2 next week against a terrible Jets team. So hopefully he gets one series with the starters on offense.

Guest Princess Leena

Portis will probably be ready to go for the season opener... however, shoulder separations, especially for a RB, and someone who's had shoulder injuries before... will likely hamper a player all season.

What happened with Mike Williams in Detroit? Something about being moved down the depth chart or benched or something? I caught a glimpse of it a few days ago on OTL.

I've heard some people already labeling him with the big B word. It's only his second season for gods sake! That word gets thrown around too much.

Who is Detroit's #1 WR? Roy Williams?

Guest Princess Leena

Marinelli dropped him and Rogers to 3rd string (5th and 6th in the WR lineup) in training camp. Probably to show he's a no-nonsense coach, and such. It means nothing now.

Mike Williams may still have the weight problems, too... but I don't know.

The coach wasn't impressed with either of them in training camp, which is why they were placed on the third string and will stay there until they change their attitude. Atleast Mike Williams has attempted to get his weight under control, there was serious talk that he may have to move to tight end.

Portis will probably be ready to go for the season opener... however, shoulder separations, especially for a RB, and someone who's had shoulder injuries before... will likely hamper a player all season.

Your right, but with the additions to the offense, as well as Al Saunders as the coordinator, the Redskins shouldn't have to run Portis into the ground the way they did the last 5-6 games last season. Last season the Redskins basically ran with what, three entire different formations? They didn't keep many defenses guessing to much, but I guess Santana Moss/Cooley/Portis were all good enough to make up for it. Contrast that with this season where the options will be unlimited, and it makes for a very different team on offense. One that doesn't have to rely on it's TE as the #2 WR on the team.

Guest Princess Leena

I think the Skins can still be a playoff team with Betts. The offense is good enough, and I've never been a big Portis backer anyway. The question mark is Brunell. They absolutely cannot lose him.

The coach wasn't impressed with either of them in training camp, which is why they were placed on the third string and will stay there until they change their attitude. Atleast Mike Williams has attempted to get his weight under control, there was serious talk that he may have to move to tight end.

But I thought Mike Williams was the next Randy Moss? That was said so many times during his final college season and when he was drafted.