TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

This is the NFL Preseason Thread

Guest Princess Leena

I think the Dolphins will disappoint many people...

I see Culpepper really struggling. If he's forced be an immobile pocket QB, he's going to cost his team games. Their defense has quite a few weak points now... the secondary is very inexperienced.

They'll probably still finish 2nd in the division... but, I still see them as quite a ways away from being a true playoff contender.

My predictions:

AFC East: Pats

AFC North: Bengals

AFC South: Colts

AFC West: Chargers

WC: Dolphins, Chiefs

NFC East: G-Men

NFC North: Bears

NFC South: Panthers

NFC West: Seahawks

WC: Redskins, Rams

AFC FR: Bengals over the Dolphins

Chargers over the Chiefs

AFC SR: Pats over the Bengals

Chargers over the Colts

AFC TR: Pats over the Chargers

NFC FR: G-Men over the Rams

Redskins over the Bears

NFC SR: Panthers over the Redskins

G-Men over the Seahawks

NFC TR: G-Men over the Panthers

SB: Pats over the G-Men.

Yeah yeah, dumb picks. But I might as well go out on a limb since I am never right anway.

Guest Vitamin X

Way to go out on a limb there, Mole. Those were the exact same division champs and wildcards as last year with the exception of the Chargers, Chiefs, and Dolphins.

I severely doubt the Broncos are going to miss the playoffs due to the Chargers or Chiefs.

And also having the Steelers miss out on the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl and keeping basically the same team intact? Well, it's happened quite a few many times already in recent years, but I doubt it'll happen to Pittsburgh.

Way to go out on a limb there, Mole. Those were the exact same division champs and wildcards as last year with the exception of the Chargers, Chiefs, and Dolphins.

I severely doubt the Broncos are going to miss the playoffs due to the Chargers or Chiefs.

And also having the Steelers miss out on the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl and keeping basically the same team intact? Well, it's happened quite a few many times already in recent years, but I doubt it'll happen to Pittsburgh.

Panthers didn't win the NFC South last year and the Rams didn't make the playoffs last year.

Guest Vitamin X

Ah that's right. I thought of the NFC South of two seasons before. The Panthers just played so much better than the Bucs in the second half of the season, it was easy to forget Tampa Bay had won the division.

That's another oft-overlooked team.

I think the Dolphins will disappoint many people...

I see Culpepper really struggling. If he's forced be an immobile pocket QB, he's going to cost his team games. Their defense has quite a few weak points now... the secondary is very inexperienced.

They'll probably still finish 2nd in the division... but, I still see them as quite a ways away from being a true playoff contender.

I don't see Culpepper struggling at all. From all the training camp reports I've heard from various people, is that, he has been impressive. Either way Culpepper is certainly an upgrade over AJ Feely, Jay Fielder, etc. And Ronnie Brown should be ready to bust through defenses, which will take alot of pressure off Culpepper. He has 2 good offensive weapons in Chambers, Booker, and McMichael so he should be fine.

You have to watch out with training camp reports. Remember when Chad Pennington's shoulder was fine in camp, and he looked to be leading the Jets on a deep playoff run?

I'll believe Palmer and Culpepper are fine when they actually throw for 300 yards and 3 tds.

The Dolphins are the trendy pick of the year because they improved by leaps and bounds last year and finished strongly. Those are good signs, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them division champs or playoff locks at this point. They are an 8 or 9 win ballclub that could go either end up sneaking in or disappointing everyone. Saban's a great coach and will keep them competitive, but they haven't improved that much all around to suggest they are any better than last year's team.

The big advantage for the Fins is their weak division...Buffalo's offense can't be good, and the Jets are in a very similar position. That should be good for four wins, plus they play the NFC North (~3 wins) and they have a game against Houston.

I don't think the team is necessarily that good, but with that kind of schedule they should make the playoffs. Think the Jags of last year...nothing special, but they turned a creampuff schedule into 12-4.

Guest Princess Leena

I don't believe in the creampuff schedule in the NFL... no games are easy. Even the Bills with their lousy QB play still has a ton of talent on defense that can be tough to beat. Unless it's a team that was ravaged so badly by injuries like the Jets last year, a win is difficult. If you win 12 games, you're for real. That's why I don't think Miami will.

In other "news", Maurice Clarett was arrested for something. It was in the "Bonds 0-2, BB" ESPNEWS box.

Guest Dolfan483

I have heard from alot of people down in Miami that Cleo Lemon has been very impressive in camp and Joey Harrington still continues to struggle. Well i guess i wont mind having Lemon as my back up, if Harrington is doing THAT bad. Hopefully it is just because he is learning a whole new system.

I don't believe in the creampuff schedule in the NFL... no games are easy. Even the Bills with their lousy QB play still has a ton of talent on defense that can be tough to beat. Unless it's a team that was ravaged so badly by injuries like the Jets last year, a win is difficult. If you win 12 games, you're for real. That's why I don't think Miami will.

Jacksonville wasn't any kind of serious contender last year, but they still racked up the wins. Check out their last 9 games last season:

Nov. 6 vs. Houston Texans W 21-14

Nov. 13 vs. Baltimore Ravens W 30-3

Nov. 20 at Tennessee Titans W 31-28

Nov. 27 at Arizona Cardinals W 24-17

Dec. 4 at Cleveland Browns W 20-14

Dec. 11 vs. Indianapolis Colts L 18-26

Dec. 18 vs. San Francisco 49ers W 10-9

Dec. 24 at Houston Texans W 38-20

Jan. 1 vs. Tennessee Titans W 40-14

That was all schedule. Give any decent team that schedule and they could have won 7-8 out of the 9 and made the playoffs. The games may not all have been easy (10-9 against the Niners? Ugh) but Jacksonville took advantage and walloped some inferior teams.

I think something similar could happen this season, in the AFC East (Buffalo and NYJ suck), or the NFC North (at least two of those teams will be garbage).

Guest Princess Leena

Jacksonville was still a very good team, in my eyes. Their defense was amongst the best in the league. Just because they got whooped pretty hard in Foxboro, doesn't negate everything. I also like Jacksonville this year. For a wildcard.

In other news, it looks like Curtis Martin is going to announce retirement soon. Definitely one of the underappreciated backs of our generation.

Jacksonville was still a very good team, in my eyes. Their defense was amongst the best in the league. Just because they got whooped pretty hard in Foxboro, doesn't negate everything. I also like Jacksonville this year. For a wildcard.

In other news, it looks like Curtis Martin is going to announce retirement soon. Definitely one of the underappreciated backs of our generation.

Loved him in New England, hated when he left. Just kept grinding out yards for years and years. I don't know if he'll make the HALL, I think he should but I'm not a voter.

Guest Princess Leena

I agree that Curtis should be in. If most think Bettis goes in, no doubt Curtis should. Along with Thurman.

Guest Vitamin X

Yes, and I remember the "I love you man" "I love you too Daunte, you'll make it man!" exchanged between him and Mike Tice. It earned a great deal of ridicule from rival teams' fans.

Loved him in New England, hated when he left. Just kept grinding out yards for years and years. I don't know if he'll make the HALL, I think he should but I'm not a voter.

He WILL make the hall on the 1st ballot.

He is 4th all time in rushing yards, and is the only people besides Barry Sanders to have 10 straight years of 1000 + yards. Enuff fuckin said. I don't give a fuck what you say about "grindin" years and all that bullshit. He played his heart out there.

Do people forget that Daunte Culpepper was horrible last year before the knee injury.

Do people forget that he lost his offensive coordinator, and his best offensive weapon?

The weapons he has in Miami >>>> The weapons he had in Minni after Moss.

He WILL make the hall on the 1st ballot.

He is 4th all time in rushing yards, and is the only people besides Barry Sanders to have 10 straight years of 1000 + yards. Enuff fuckin said. I don't give a fuck what you say about "grindin" years and all that bullshit. He played his heart out there.

Grinding out yards is a damn compliment. The guy refused to go down to one tackler and would rather drag a bastard to the first down marker. I still have his rookie card and a 1997 MVPs Patriots set with him, Bledsoe, Coates, Meggett and Byars.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm also fairly sure CMart gets in the HOF, and no question deserves to get in... but, you never know with those types who vote.

As a Bills fan, I can't say I enjoyed him owning us for a decade. He probably had the best vision I've seen with a HB. He never made mistakes, and always ran hard.

My best memory of him would be last year in Buffalo. With a fucked up knee (Thanks Herm, for letting him play all year.), and being slower than some D-Linemen, he somehow grinded out a huge day for that hopeless team.

It's sad how much The Browns have improved yet they need all of that just to repeat their 6-10 mark of last year. LeCharles Bentley going down for the year sure doesn't help matters and Frye/Kellen are ?s for the team but their defense will hopefully be able to steal a few wins for the team.