TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

This is the NFL Preseason Thread

Texans are 2-0 after beating the Rams 27-20. Carr still looks average and people on some Texans boards want to see Sage Rosenfels get some more PT (I'm not one of them though). Running game still looks strong with Lundy getting some good yards and Vernand Morency looking REAL good in the 1-cut offense. Also did a very good job on the blitz pickup.

Defense looked pretty good. Too many passing yards (298) but shut down the running game (60 something yards). Mario Williams and Antwawn Peek may make for a monster combo on obvious passing downs, as they consistently caved down the left side of the Rams offensive line when they were on the same side. Mario was also much more active tonight than he was against the Cheifs. Linebackers played well, although no one really seemed to stand out. Secondary played OK (a lot of the passing yards were against the 2nd and 3rd stringers). Dunta Robinson played his usual solid game, and Phillip Buchanon actually looked like a football player, albeit with 2 pass interference calls going against him (1 legit, 1 the WR fell down). All in all, a good game with a goal line stand in the last two minutes to seal the deal. Tough game against the Broncos in Denver next Sunday though. It looks like they smashed the hell out of the Flaming Thumbtacks tonight.

Another great game for the Panthers' defense. 17-10 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Panthers' offense looked solid against a talented Jaguars' defense, but the Panthers' defense looked spectacular against the Jaguars' offense. Three sacks and two interceptions, one sack resulted in a fumble that was returned for a touchdown. Panthers' first-team defense has given up a total of three points over the past two preseason games.

Thursday night, Steve Smith returns to the field against the Miami Dolphins.

Texans are 2-0 after beating the Rams 27-20. Carr still looks average and people on some Texans boards want to see Sage Rosenfels get some more PT (I'm not one of them though). Running game still looks strong with Lundy getting some good yards and Vernand Morency looking REAL good in the 1-cut offense. Also did a very good job on the blitz pickup.

Defense looked pretty good. Too many passing yards (298) but shut down the running game (60 something yards). Mario Williams and Antwawn Peek may make for a monster combo on obvious passing downs, as they consistently caved down the left side of the Rams offensive line when they were on the same side. Mario was also much more active tonight than he was against the Cheifs. Linebackers played well, although no one really seemed to stand out. Secondary played OK (a lot of the passing yards were against the 2nd and 3rd stringers). Dunta Robinson played his usual solid game, and Phillip Buchanon actually looked like a football player, albeit with 2 pass interference calls going against him (1 legit, 1 the WR fell down). All in all, a good game with a goal line stand in the last two minutes to seal the deal. Tough game against the Broncos in Denver next Sunday though. It looks like they smashed the hell out of the Flaming Thumbtacks tonight.

Sage Rosenfels? Now I know those on the Texans boards are nuts.

I think Mario needs some time to adjust and learn. I saw the game and yeah, him and Peek just turned that left side into a pile of bodies. Course ESPN was focusing on "ONE TACKLE! HE'S A BUST! OMG!"

Also something else I noticed from this weekend games. Vince Young better learn to slide cause that running full speed at a safety isn't bright at all. He does that against someone like Polamalu and he's going to have a real short career.

I thought Leinart looked pretty good last night. It's pre-season, and he was playing with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string guys, but he's only been in camp for a week. His runs especially were impressive, he read the d and made decisive moves, a lot of QB's would fart around in the pocket. He's got great instincts.

The Cardinals line played like shit. I never like to make big judgments on pre-season, but that could be their biggest problem this year.

Cassell, Maroney, Faulk and Asante Samuel looked great. Brady was Brady. I agree with the Dillon/Maroney/Faulk trio causing a lot of headaches. Once Branch and Jackson get on the field our offense will be scary.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

The packers looked like world beaters, but they played their starters into the 3rd quarter and that helped to whip the Falcons, who had back ups in by that point.

Was just reading this week's Sports Illustrated, there was a little deal about Seau retiring, and they've got a picture of him playing for the Chargers, tackling a Patriot (Curtis Martin, actually)

the ironing is delicious

Was just reading this week's Sports Illustrated, there was a little deal about Seau retiring, and they've got a picture of him playing for the Chargers, tackling a Patriot (Curtis Martin, actually)

the ironing is delicious

I hope you are not eating your laundry.

49ers trade Kevan Barlow to the Jets for an undiscolsed draft pick. He turned into complete shit after he got his big contract and was likely going to lose his starting job to Frank Gore.

Guest Vitamin X
How did the Packers zone scheme look for the RBs?

So far, not too good. But, Ahman Green hasn't played all preseason, and was pretty unlikely to against the Falcons. Najeh Davenport doesn't look all that impressive so far. He carried the ball 11 times for 29 yards, his longest run being 6 yards.

I just hope that, unlike last year, they have a set offensive line heading into the season. The inconsistency on the line was the biggest reason they did so poorly on offense.

It's probably just for the ceremony they're having.

...why not just have a ceremony cause he retired as one of the greatest to play as a 49er?

You are overreacting. It's a symbolic gesture and nothing more. It's not like he signed a multi million dollar deal. It isn't a "certain" team. If he signed a one day contract with Baltimore with the intent to retire, then it doesn't make sense but it's the team he played over the vast majority of his career and will always be invisioned in that team's colors.

I'm just pissed at all this retiring/un-retiring crap that is going on in sports. Besides, as I just said, you can still hold a party for him retiring. There is no reason to have him "sign a contract" to have him "retire" in the 49er colors. When you've retired that's it. The only reason you "come back" is nothing more than a publicity stunt or to prove you can still be around when you are too far gone.

He doesn't get paid anything for this "publicity stunt". It's just a feel-good story. What if he signed with the Niners last year and then retired? Does this really bother you?

I'll admit, I'm a Niner fan to the day I die, and Jerry Rice un-retiring to then retire in a Niner uniform just feels right. You'll probably won't get it until it happens to a player you love, and given the way he respectfully exited San Francisco the first time, this is what the organization can give back to him.

Ok, three things:

1) He retired already, so this means nothing. Its just nothing more than to pander to a team's fanbase.

2) He's not gonna be playing any games so this means what exactly? And before you say feel good story, please explain why it is a feel good story. Its just a lateral retiring. "Oh, instead of retiring with the Denver Broncos, we'll just try to play it like it never happened and I retired with the 49ers".

3) If the organization needs to give anything back to him, do it in a way that isn't totally hallow. Which would be retiring his number and having a day for him or something. This whole thing is hallow because what meaning does it have? He's already retired.

And I'm totally against stuff of un-retirings in general. You retire, you are done. That's it.

Guest Princess Leena
49ers trade Kevan Barlow to the Jets for an undiscolsed draft pick. He turned into complete shit after he got his big contract and was likely going to lose his starting job to Frank Gore.

Good for the 49ers. Gore deserves this chance, to at least be a 1st-2nd down back. Hopefully he stays healthy.

I don't know why the Jets were so desperate to scoop up another mediocre back. Barlow isn't an improvement on what they have now. The Jets probably remain RBBC with him, except now they have 4 backs.

The announcers are fellating Reggie Bush non-stop despite the fact he has two decent plays and 3 where he was either stopped for a loss or very little gain.

Honestly, I agree. I'm a huge Reggie Bush fan to, but overall he had a bad game.

Even worse is the way they cover Bush as compared to Mario Williams, especially on Sportscenter. They recite off Williams' stats line to make it sound like he didn't do anything without talking at all about his impact on the game. Meanwhile tonight, Sean Salisbury inserts Bush's cock into his mouth and proceeds to suck away by showing the same highlight from tonight's game over and over again while totally glossing over Bush's crappy numbers and inconsistent game.

Even worse is the way they cover Bush as compared to Mario Williams, especially on Sportscenter. They recite off Williams' stats line to make it sound like he didn't do anything without talking at all about his impact on the game. Meanwhile tonight, Sean Salisbury inserts Bush's cock into his mouth and proceeds to suck away by showing the same highlight from tonight's game over and over again while totally glossing over Bush's crappy numbers and inconsistent game.

No shit. I couldn't believe it. SS with his asinine "If you missed Bush's 44 yard run last week, watch what he did THIS week!" What, make a good cut on a run, take a swing pass for a first down, and basically have a (statistically speaking) shitty game? ESPN needs to get over the Reggie Bush fellatio and realize that Mario had a good game. He pressured the backfield of the Rams and opened up pass rushing lanes for Peek, Greenwood, and everyone else by frequently tying up 2 blockers. He had more tackles than they gave him credit for (including a nice TFL when he beat the tackle to the inside and chased down the RB) and was much better than last week.

ESPN can kiss my ass.

I didn't see most of the game so I didn't see the supposedly godlike plays Reggie Bush made but his numbers appeared to be those of a mere mortal.

What did he do that was so amazing that SS had to go crazy about?

I didn't see most of the game so I didn't see the supposedly godlike plays Reggie Bush made but his numbers appeared to be those of a mere mortal.

Umm...well, nothing. He did his job on a screen pass picking up about seven yards. He got a 8 yard run because a tackler missed, he didn't make the tackler miss so much as Newman just doesn't know how to tackle.

Other than that, I have no idea other than ESPN has already crowned him God, Jesus and the savior of the city of New Orleans and the National Football League.

I can't comment b/c I'll get labelled a USC/Bush hater(which i am but seriously) but I mean the guy did some spectacular things against a shitty defense at Tennessee but when he ran into a good defense with speed they ran him down.

I wonder if Pacman was right though saying that he's afraid to get hit and that's why he won't cut up field and dive for yards? I don't think it's that I think it's just he thinks if he keeps running side to side he'll be able to outrun everyone and find a hole but against Dallas he ran out of room.

I think busting on the Bush run is silly. He made a nice cutback upfield behind Newman. The run after catch deep in Dallas' zone was also nice. He was not the be all end all they were likely hyping him as, but let's not overlook the good things he did just to make the point. Overall, he had a tough day against a good defense.

Umm...well, nothing. He did his job on a screen pass picking up about seven yards. He got a 8 yard run because a tackler missed, he didn't make the tackler miss so much as Newman just doesn't know how to tackle.

Exactly. I love Terrance Newman as a shutdown cover corner but his tackling skills in the backfield are probably the weakest part of his game. They made it sound like Bush got around Ray Lewis in his prime or something.

Who's on tonight?

Dallas/NO. Speaking of which, I can't believe ESPN is wasting a hour on a fake fantasy draft.

Last years draft was funny with Boomer totally losing it in good ol JR fashion. Boomer went to do his old cliches and Tom Jackson no-sold them by refusing to say the university name and whenever it was Michael Irvin's turn he would say the U everytime resulting in Boomer being ackwardly silient looking clueless for a few seconds before they go back to the script.

Exactly. I love Terrance Newman as a shutdown cover corner but his tackling skills in the backfield are probably the weakest part of his game. They made it sound like Bush got around Ray Lewis in his prime or something.

Ummm WTF? Terrance Newman a shutdown corner? Yeah Right....