TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

97-93 Brewer

96-94 Forbes

96-94 Brewer

That was almost another horrendous decision. Brewer dominated that lackluster fight. Bravo/K9 wasn't much of a fight either as K9 pretty much killed Bravo until the stoppage. All in all, that was probably the worst 2 hours of the series.

Carlos 'Famoso' Hernandez made a very emotional retirement announcement after losing to Kevin Kelly on the Versus (formerly Outdoor) channel.

Dan Rafael over at ESPN.com is reporting that, provided he gets by Joe Spina, Peter Manfredo will fight Roy Jones on ppv on Jan20.

Even though Edison Miranda lost in controversial fashion to Arthur Abraham last week, he will still be Abraham's mandatory challenger.

Oh yeah, RJJ smokes Manfredo.

Why wouldn't he. A faded Jones is better than any Contender fighter. His hand speed is still way better than most of the guys out there, and Manfredo is a stationary fighter.

Why wouldn't he. A faded Jones is better than any Contender fighter. His hand speed is still way better than most of the guys out there, and Manfredo is a stationary fighter.

Peter Manfredo aint no slouch, he's a more improved fighter since training under Freddie Roach. He just recently stopped Scott Pemberton who was a top contender in the Super Middleweight divison for awhile.

Roy Jones Jr is damaged goods, and Peter Manfredo is a fresher, younger, and isn't shot like RJJ. I'm not saying Manfredo is going to win, but it ain't going to be no cake walk for RJJ.

Manfredo lost to a poor man's Jones twice. As a Jones fan, I'm willing to admit that the fight after Manfredo is the one where he steps aside, but I don't think Manfredo is skilled enough to beat Jones.

Manfredo lost to a poor man's Jones twice. As a Jones fan, I'm willing to admit that the fight after Manfredo is the one where he steps aside, but I don't think Manfredo is skilled enough to beat Jones.

Judging from that post, I assume you haven't seen Manfredo/Mora 2.

Manfredo never lost to Mora the 2nd time, he beat Mora convincingly and was robbed of the desicion.

The reason why RJJ won most of his fights in his primes, was because he relied on his phyiscal gifts and his athletic ability moreso then his actually boxing skills to win fights. Now that his physical gifts are fading, he is VERY beatable.

Hate on Manfredo all you want, but the fact is he is a much more improved fighter then he was on The Contender show and under the guidence of Freddie Roach, I can see him being a title contender, nothing more or nothing less. Like I said, I think Jones could problay win this, but it I could see him having a tough time, and Manfredo isn't the can your making him out to be.

Manfredo never lost to Mora the 2nd time, he beat Mora convincingly and was robbed of the desicion.

No, I did not care enough to watch the 2nd fight. I think it's too early for Manfredo to fight someone of Roy's caliber, even if Roy's shot. He needs more fights.

No, I did not care enough to watch the 2nd fight. I think it's too early for Manfredo to fight someone of Roy's caliber, even if Roy's shot. He needs more fights.

Of "Roy's Caliber"? What do you mean? It makes it seem like your trying to say Roy is still a factor in the title picture. He didn't look really good in his last fight against Prince Badi Ajamu IMO.

If anything this is the right fight for Manfredo IMO, he gets to show what he has against a legend of the sport with a huge fan base. He has alot to gain if he wins this. And as for Roy this will test to see how much he has left in the tank facing a house hold name who is young and fresh. Either way, I think this is good match making for both fighters.

Of "Roy's Caliber"? What do you mean? It makes it seem like your trying to say Roy is still a factor in the title picture. He didn't look really bad in his last fight against Prince Badi Ajamu IMO.

I mean somebody as good as Roy is, even though he's not a factor in the title picture, he's clearly better than anyone that Manfredo's fought before, and by a good margin.

From fightnews...

WBO Lightweight Champion Acelino "Popó" Freitas surprised everyone here in Brazil today when he announced that he doesn't plan to keep fighting. The Brazilian, who compiled a record of 38-1, 32 KOs, has been one of the world's top fighters since the beginning of his career, in 1995. He defeated, among others, Anatoly Alexandrov, Joel Casamayor, Arthur Grigorian. In his only setback, Popo lost to Diego Corrales by TKO. He declared today that he had always planned to retire when he turned 30 (he is 31 now) and that he plans to stay in boxing as a promoter and with his social projects in Brazil. More details to follow.

Guest Anubis

Some of the upcoming bouts:

Saturday, 7th October, 2006

Allstate Arena, Rosemont, Illinois, USA

Heavyweight Nikolay Valuev v Monte Barrett (~ WBA Heavyweight Title ~)

Saturday, 14th October, 2006

Parken, Copenhagen, Denmark

Super Middleweight Mikkel Kessler v Markus Beyer (~ WBC Super Middleweight Title ~ ~ WBA Super Middleweight Title ~)

Saturday, 11th November, 2006

Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA

Heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko v Calvin Brock (~ IBF Heavyweight Title ~ ~ IBO Heavyweight Title ~)

Super Middleweight Laila Ali v Ijeoma Egbunine (~ Womens International Boxing Association Super Middleweight Title ~ ~ WBC Female Super Middleweight Title ~)

Saturday, 18th November, 2006

Burgwächter Castello, Düsseldorf, Germany

Middleweight Javier Castillejo v Mariano Natalio Carrera (~ WBA Middleweight Title ~)

Middleweight Felix Sturm v Gavin Topp

Sunday, 10th December, 2006

Olympiysky Sports Arena, Moscow, Russia

Heavyweight Oleg Maskaev v Peter Okhello (~ WBC Heavyweight Title ~)

just the most important ones to me, there are still more to come in the next few weeks. Boxing is gonna be HUGE till the end of the year. :cheers:

I got Barrett over Valuev. I think Valuev is a very overrated fighter, I've seen him get outboxed by Larry Donald, and get a hometown desicion. And you could argue that Ruiz beat him aswell.

Corralles should beat Casa.

Guest Anubis

I guess Valuev will KO Barrett. Valuev may not be the best in terms of technique, but his punch is hard, he has a huge reach and should be hard to knockout. Barrett will give everything he's got to punch out Valuev, but in my opinion after the 1st half of the fight his power will come to an end.

Valuev will most likely KO Barrett about mid way through as this is hyped as a showcase fight for him. I don't think Barrett would have been selected if there wasn't a good chance for him to get knocked out, as with the Rahman fight he's here to lose.

Barrett can do alright for himself when he's in there with guys roughly his own size...but with Valuev, I think we'll see Monte as dropped repeatedly like in the Wlad fight several years ago.

Versus will show a relic from boxing's most recent 'golden age of heavyweights' next thursday...Tommy Morrisson vs. George Foreman frm 1993.

It was a puzzling display from a Foreman that had just proved he still had it against Holyfield and would soon regain the title with the single greatest punch in boxing history(imo). For Tommy, it was probably the second best performance of his bizarre career, the ko of Razor Ruddock being his best.

And Diego Corrales has weighed in 5 pounds over for Saturday...

from Fightnews

Looks like the fight between Diego Corrales and Jorge Casamayor will go on. If Casamayor wins, he claims the WBC lightweight title outright. If Corrales (who forfeit the title on the scale) wins, the belt remains vacant, however Casamayor would be entitled to an immediate fight with WBC interim titlist David Diaz even if he loses. There will be a second weigh-in Saturday at noon in which neither fighter can weigh more than 147 lbs. Corrales will be fined $200,000 by the Nevada Commission, $100,000 of which will go to Casamayor. There are still undisclosed issues ($$) between the camps, but as of now we have a fight.

Now, I will be wholeheartedly rooting for Casamayor. I will also change my prediction...Diego is not taking this fight seriously enough against a man that as stopped him.

Valuev TKOs Barrett in the 11th. Valuev was beyond slow and Barrett landed some good shots but he couldn't hurt him; somehow I don't think running straight on and wildly swinging at his monsterous dome was the best approach. The last round was kind of scary for Barrett and the corner stoppage was merciful.

Adamek/Briggs was a great close fight with the low blow acting in the 9th I believe being the only real taint on it.

Valuev would get knocked out in one round by anyone as good or better than Shannon Briggs. He sucks.

Yeah, Briggs showed how well he can handle slow, plodding heavyweights when he 'beat' George Foreman in 1997. To anyone but the judges that night, Shannon lost nearly every round. He hasn't gotten any better since then.

Monte Barrett > Shannon Briggs

How can you not be impressed by a 7ft, 325 pound man coming on STRONG in the eleventh round?

I had Paul Briggs winning against Adamek by a point, but cant really complain. Great fight.

Monte fucking Barrett hurt Valuev on more than one occasion. If Barrett was a good fighter, he would have been able to finish it up.