TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Despite his terrible record, Relford has only been stopped once and that was a 9th round stoppage against Davarryl Williamson some time ago. He's kinda like Mo Harris.

Tickets for the highly anticipated super fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather sold out in three hours Saturday afternoon at MGM Grand's box office and thru TicketMaster's website. More than 5,400 tickets for the fight, Saturday, May 5 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, were devoured by fans eager to help establish the record-breaking live gate of $19 million. The previous record was $16,860,300 for the November 13, 1999 Lennox Lewis vs. Evander Holyfield II championship event at the Thomas and Mack Center. "This is a huge success right out of the gate, unparalleled in boxing and underscores the importance and magnitude of this sporting event," said Richard Schaefer, Chief Executive Officer of Golden Boy Promotions. "We are now in the process of setting up a record number of closed circuit locations in Las Vegas to ensure that any and all boxing fans can be part of this 'Super Fight Weekend.' I urge fans to make their reservations now to be in Las Vegas on May 5."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow De La Hoya will officially announce who will train him for his upcoming 'Super Fight' against Mayweather Jr.

-fightnews

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is the biggest non-heavyweight fight of all time. It will pass 1.5 million buys and, very possibly, 2 million.

Espn2 has another good looking card for Friday. 4 possible heavyweight contenders.

Eddie Chambers (27-0, 15 kos...beaten a long string of notable journeyman- Mahone, Hawkins, Purritty, Hawkins, Guerrero) vs. Derrick Rossy (15-0, 9 kos...has a recent 10 round decision over Shannon Miller & a 2nd round ko of Gary Bell last Feb) for the USBA belt.

Chris Arreola (18-0, 16 kos...last fight was a 7th round ko of 21-0 Damien Willa & he has one of the funniest last names in American sport) vs. Zakeem Graham (10-1-1, 7kos...the draw was his third fight, the loss was a 3rd round ko to Ruslan Chakaev that doesn't look as bad in retrospect but that was '03 and he has only one fight since...he's 36). 10 rounds.

909 - Let us know how Billy Dib looks Saturday night. He'll be fighting Carlos Contreras in a really big step up at super-feather off tv.

Will do, but Contreras has lost 6 of his last 7. Most of them to good fighters though.

I predict an early ending to that encounter.

With Freddie Roach working with Oscar, Sugar Ray Leonard will be training Peter Manfredo for his challenge of Joe Calzaghe.

I have a slight hunch, though not nearly enough to put down any cash, that Calzaghe might be too overconfidant thinking this will be another Lacy-esque massacre.

Well this Saturday should be interesting. HBO is featuring Sugar Shane vs. Collazo, while Showtime is debuting Elite XC with Shamrock/Gracie headlining the show.

I am going to watch both definately, but I am still uncertain of which I will watch live and which I will tivo. I am leaning towards the boxing live, because I still think the spectacle of a good live boxing match is unmatched by MMA at this point.

Vegas is awesome. They moved our seats to 8 rows back from the ring.

Chris fuckin Byrd showed up and people went nuts. When Winky and Nard showed up at the fight, they hung out by security all night so that nobody could take pictures. I sat near Kelly Pavlik. Don King (my pic got fucked up, which sucks) and Donald Trump showed up and the place went INSANE. HBO mutes the sound so it doesn't sound like the crowd is loud. They suck. Larry Merchant looked dead. Lazcano beat Harris, or at least that's what I thought.

Highlight of the night was when some little boy was about to get in a fight with someone, and PBF walked over to the kid and gave him a hug. Shane is great, and I need sleep.

Mosely showed he's still an elite fighter. He looked far better against Collazo than Hatton did.

Sounds like a fun time. i have yet to go to a live fight, even at a club.

If you ever get the chance to go see one in Vegas, by all means, take it.

It was an event that I'll never forget. Oh, and I didn't like Billy Dib. He has great handspeed, but little to no power.

Ring2.jpg

My seat. The picture and the television cameras are misleading. For one, they loaded up one side of the arena while the other was nearly empty. The ringwalk area is really short, not how it looks on TV at all. And the arena is the smallest I've ever been in.

Thanks, this dude came by and told us to go by this hot blonde chick if we wanted better seats. She pointed us down there, and gave us a seat near the aisle. That was a good thing, because the buffet sucked and wasn't doing my stomach very well. Something that UFC fans may not know, Bruce Buffer does Mike's bitchwork the whole night.

Fox Sports is doing anothe BDSSP fight night this Friday. Main event is heavyweight contenders Tony Thompson vs. Timor Ibragimov...Andre Dirrell & Jorge Paez Jr in 6 rounders underneath.

Also, looks like we might get Miguel Cotto vs. Zab Judah on June 3. I think Zab does his dance again.

Edit - June 9

Catch the replay of ShoBox if you want to see a good fight. My fucking God, these two guys in the first fight threw some fucking bombs. It's mustsee.

Who's excited about March 3rd?

Miranda-Green underneath Cotto-Urkal on HBO

Marquez-Vasquez on Showtime.

Im picking Cotto & Miranda by late kos...Marquez by decision.

Gonna be a fun night.

If I wasn't broke, I'd go see the Vazquez fight. Tickets are cheap, and it's an outdoor venue. Would be fun.

I've got Cotto early, Green by decision after a Miranda headbutt late, and Marquez in a 12 round war.

No live boxing on VS next month but several new runs of old fights...Arguello-Mancini, Carbajal-Gonzalez 1 & 2, and De La Hoya-Bredahl.

If you saw the fight, how did Tommy look overall? I heard he actually lost the 1st round, but that's understandable after a decade plus lay off. I've only seen a few pictures and I don't know what to think, the disturbing frail looking legs can't be good. Though, evidently he still has power in the left.

For whatever reason VS wasn't allowed to show the fight. They just showed pictures and explained what happened. From all accounts The Duke lost the first round, was badly winded in between, but landed a monster left hook in the 2nd to stop the Castle fellow. If nothing else he's going to need a few more of the 4 rounders to really get back into boxing shape.

I have no idea what to think of the Aids aspect of his story.