TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cd213

Iron Maiden

Though I bet that somewhere in your closet is a pair of those super-baggy-widecuffed cargo pants with about fifty chains, zippers and rings hanging off them.

Though I bet that somewhere in your closet is a pair of those super-baggy-widecuffed cargo pants with about fifty chains, zippers and rings hanging off them.

Actually, that's the one thing I never got into when I was listening to nu-metal as a young'un. I was still a t-shirt and jeans guy. Always have been, always will be. I thought those pants were fucking dumb then, and I think they're repulsively stupid now. Even if I want a pair of red/black plaid pants (bondage pants).

And Czech, you may do as you wish. Just expect a mixtape of "Extreme Metal goes classic," featuring such songs as Six Feet Under's cover of "Purple Haze" and Slayer's rendition of Iggy Pop's classic "I Wanna Be Your Dog."

And Czech, you may do as you wish. Just expect a mixtape of "Extreme Metal goes classic," featuring such songs as Six Feet Under's cover of "Purple Haze" and Slayer's rendition of Iggy Pop's classic "I Wanna Be Your Dog."

If I made someone a Smiths mixtape and got some shit like that in return I'd be kinda pissed.

Guest Felonies!

Yeah, he was into punk, but how? He's not an skinny little rat of a human that draws Xs on his hands.

I really wish his name was XsoonersX on here

FUCK! COCK SHIT CUNT MOTHERFUCKER TAMPON BARBRA STREISAND DOUCHE QUEEFBAG!!!!!

...Maiden is sold out in Boston...or, at the very least, I can't find any tickets. Fuckin' hell...

You want to be really mad, Laz? I ended up having an extra ticket to the show. A friend of mine no-showed, and since he didn't let me know that he was no-showing, I didn't have the chance to arrange for someone else to come instead. I ended up just miracle-ing it to some trashy looking blonde girl.

The show was decent ... but they played the new album in it's entirety, so if you were hoping to see, well, most of the classics, you were gravely disappointed. Their set was: the whole new album, then Fear of the Dark, then Iron Maiden. (End of set.) Encore: Two Minutes to Midnight, Evil That Men Do, & then closing with Hallowed be Thy Name.

FUCK! COCK SHIT CUNT MOTHERFUCKER TAMPON BARBRA STREISAND DOUCHE QUEEFBAG!!!!!

...Maiden is sold out in Boston...or, at the very least, I can't find any tickets. Fuckin' hell...

You want to be really mad, Laz? I ended up having an extra ticket to the show. A friend of mine no-showed, and since he didn't let me know that he was no-showing, I didn't have the chance to arrange for someone else to come instead. I ended up just miracle-ing it to some trashy looking blonde girl.

The show was decent ... but they played the new album in it's entirety, so if you were hoping to see, well, most of the classics, you were gravely disappointed. Their set was: the whole new album, then Fear of the Dark, then Iron Maiden. (End of set.) Encore: Two Minutes to Midnight, Evil That Men Do, & then closing with Hallowed be Thy Name.

They didn't even play Run to the Hills? What the?

I mean, I like the new album, but if I went to a Maiden show and they didn't even play Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, or anything off Brave New World, I'd be kinda dissapointed.

At least you got Fear of the Dark and Hallowed.

So Tool pisses off a lot of its fanbase by playing nothing older than Aenima...and now Maiden takes a big ol' deuce on its fans by not only touring with that emo bullshit Bullet For My Valentine (for fuck's sake, Coheed & Cambria is more metal than them), but by playing nothing but the new album and a few select classics? Gah...

Man...Gwar this Saturday better play more than just stuff off of War Party and Beyond Hell. I'm still ticked that they don't play "Saddam A Go-Go" or "Nitro Burning Funny Bong" live, but c'mon: the last two albums are definitely two of Gwar's best, way better than Carnival of Chaos and Violence Has Arrived, but I still wanna hear some Gwar classics and not just the heavier shit. I got into Gwar because of their humor, not Brockie's sarcastic politics.

Maiden takes a big ol' deuce on its fans by not only touring with that emo bullshit Bullet For My Valentine

What, HIM wasn't available?

I guess not. Couldn't even choose a decent emo-influenced metal band like Bleeding Through (the new album has decent music, but Brendan's singing voice sounds better when it's poorly produced, as he gets a nice Phil Anselmo-esque sound as opposed to this awful pseudo-grunge sound he gets on The Truth).

I should prolly try to win that contest to get killed by Gwar onstage this Saturday...but alas, I'm tired.

I'm not going to necro the Songs That Get You Pumped thread, but I've come to the conclusion that anyone who isn't pumped after hearing "Aces High" is a corpse.

So they're only playing the new album, pretty much? That makes me slightly less pissed that I'm missing the show.

Saw them monday night in Quebec City.

Yeah they played the entire album but the crowd was fucking NUTS for Different World. In fact, we didn't shut up until the last two songs of the album. After that we got:

*what nl5xsk1 said*

Best crowd reaction of the night: Fear of the Dark, followed closely by when they took BFMV's banner down. Overall, a SOLID show, fourth year in a row we get Maiden and I can't wait for next year.

NOTE: The band always comes in two days early in quebec to go out on the town, as a result sunday night I ran into Janick Gers and fucking Bruce Dickinson. Bruce laughed at my inability to come up with a coherent sentence in english (I'm usually pretty much bilingual... when not in front of a metal legend), and Janick was pretty friendly, drinking beer and talking to pretty much everyone (saw him at another bar right after the show, I would've gone up to him but he was landing a nice piece of tail... until Steve Harris came in)

I had heard about the setlist a few days ago, and I am a little disappointed by that. But it aint gonna stop me from going to the show, no fucking way in hell.

I guess they are trying to branch out a younger section of the audience by bringing in BFMV. I expect the Palace to be at least half-emoty until the banner comes down. They could have had a better opener for them, but hell, they could have done worse.

But that's my point: they could have done BETTER. There are BETTER bands that the younger fans of heavy music (read: fashioncore) who aren't 100% into Maiden yet would enjoy as a prelude to seeing one of the greatest live bands ever rock their fucking world. BFMV are pretty much the Kick Axe of the "metal" movement right now: they have a fanbase and get pseudo-mainstream MTV attention, but have a sound that lets you know they won't last.

Yea, I'm seeing Maiden later today actually and the new album is damn good. I can't wait to hear Different World, The Pilgrim, The Longest Day, and For The Greater Good Of God live as well as some of their classics.

And never fear, Maiden are touring again in 2008 and will ONLY play stuff up until Powerslave so rejoice!

Just got back from the NY show and it was awesome. I also was upse tat first when I heard they were playing the new album in full but when they opened up with "Different World", I went nuts. Bruce was like fucking Nightcrawler, jumping all around the sets and just going crazy and this is a man that's pushing 50 mind you (must be all the fencing). The guitarists were crazy as well grooving with their axes and jumping around while doing some silly dances. I really like the new album and am glad I got to hear my favorite tracks from it. Overall, I had a great time. Maiden can do no wrong.

The setlist was the entire new album along with 2 Minutes To Midnight, Fear Of The Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Evil That Men Do, and Iron Maiden. They teased a second encore but then the lights came back on and everybody was pissed.

Just got back from the NY show and it was awesome. I also was upse tat first when I heard they were playing the new album in full but when they opened up with "Different World", I went nuts. Bruce was like fucking Nightcrawler, jumping all around the sets and just going crazy and this is a man that's pushing 50 mind you (must be all the fencing). The guitarists were crazy as well grooving with their axes and jumping around while doing some silly dances. I really like the new album and am glad I got to hear my favorite tracks from it. Overall, I had a great time. Maiden can do no wrong.

The setlist was the entire new album along with 2 Minutes To Midnight, Fear Of The Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Evil That Men Do, and Iron Maiden. They teased a second encore but then the lights came back on and everybody was pissed.

I was at the show as well. I was on the floor and have to say one of the best parts of the show was this asshole had a sign that said "Play Classics." He went to the front of the stage and Bruce asked for the sign, he then went and tore it up and continued the shong. The crowd went crazy for it, at least in the pit.

I was upset that there wasn't a second encore since I was hoping that they were going to play run to the hills, but I can't complain. It was a kickass show and I loved hearing the whole album. I have never been to a live show where they played the entire album, and a group like Iron Maiden can pull it off. I would see them again in a second!

I also couldn't stand Bullet for My Valentine. They had some good riffs, but they didn't consistantly but things together to make listening to the worthwhile. They seemed like a band that should be opening for Mudvayne (and I love Mudvayne, but that's the type of band they need to go on tour with.) I think unless it was a big name band opening, the crowd wouldn't have cared. I think if Iced Earth wasn't recording right now, they would have been perfect. Give them an hour to rock and then have Maiden gor for 2 hours.

LOL, that's what the sign said? Me and my friends saw him grab the sign and tear it up but we didn't know what it said, my friend thought it said "Fuck something".

You tell 'em Bruce. They're playing some classics, but its a new album, and its an epic album with no weak songs that they're playing in its entirety to promote. When I saw them last year at Ozzfest, all they played was old songs. Now theyre playing mostly new songs. As mentioned, next tour, they're playing only Powerslave era stuff. Each tour should be different. Maiden doesn't need to become a nostalgia act playing the same damn songs every tour like Priest or Sabbath, bless 'em both.

Annoying that this happened in the US too, since the band (Bruce especially) already has sort of a contempt for touring the US since he feels there aren't as many fans here. First the Ozzfest egg throwing disaster and now this. They barely hit many cities here as it is.

Yea, I'm seeing Maiden later today actually and the new album is damn good. I can't wait to hear Different World, The Pilgrim, The Longest Day, and For The Greater Good Of God live as well as some of their classics.

And never fear, Maiden are touring again in 2008 and will ONLY play stuff up until Powerslave so rejoice!

I had heard that too, so I am going to go to that and I am going to be in my fucking ELEMENT. I think its around the long-awaited (at least by me) Early Years Volume 2 DVD, which will contain the best concert footage I have ever seen in my life: Live After Death.

If Steve Harris let someone else do the video editing instead of himself, they would do a lot better. I still am balking at buying Death on the Road because of the shitty editing done in Rock in Rio.

*gets an idea and goes to Netflix*

And on the concert itself, my turn comes on Tuesday. Up the fucking Irons!

But that's my point: they could have done BETTER. There are BETTER bands that the younger fans of heavy music (read: fashioncore) who aren't 100% into Maiden yet would enjoy as a prelude to seeing one of the greatest live bands ever rock their fucking world. BFMV are pretty much the Kick Axe of the "metal" movement right now: they have a fanbase and get pseudo-mainstream MTV attention, but have a sound that lets you know they won't last.

That's what I love about you, Corey... you can be such a metal snob, its ridiculous.

But saying that, I agree with you. I know they want to reach out to a newere and younger audience, but there are at least five bands I could think of off the top of my head that would have been a better fit for an opening act. Like it or not, the majority of their fanbase here in the States are people in their 30s (like me) and 40s, who were there when Beast on the Road made Maiden practically a household name, with thanks to Judas Priest for giving them the chance.

That's what I love about you, Corey... you can be such a metal snob, its ridiculous.

Just think: I used to not be. At all. I used to hate metal elitists and how everything with any hint of a fanbase was "pop music" and how newer metal bands were terrible but this one obscure band from Finland that WON'T tour and WON'T play shows is better even though it's just two kids with a guitar, mic, and a drum machine (I shit you not, I actually remember somebody praising some band that would never play a single live show over a band that toured extensively and wrote better music). But then I started to understand the way they thought as I grew older and got into more and more metal, and began understanding that it was about the lifestyle and mindsets just as much as it was about the guitar riffs. And the more I thought about it, the more I became an elitist.

But what really pushed me over the edge was the feminization/emo-ization/commercialization of what some people call the "New Wave of American Heavy Metal," but most people would just call metalcore. It started off as an entire breath of fresh-air, taking the old-school crossover bands like SOD and the Cro-Mags and bringing it up-to-date with more recent metal and hardcore bands as influences, and now? If you label your band as "metalcore," your fanbase is likely to include bigger fans of Thrice and Thursday than it is fans of Death and Testament. And while I know every era and every style of metal has its "commercial" bands and its lame bands that get more attention than they rightfully deserve, it pisses me off that my generation gets the worst of the bunch with the likes of BFMV, Killswitch Engage, and Lamb of God. For fuck's sake, metalheads - REAL metalheads - fucking hated Coal Chamber when they came out, and Lamb of God is Coal Chamber with guitar solo's, and more people like them than more deserving bands like Darkest Hour and Tunnel Drill (though, to be fair, Tunnel Drill is more of a Mass "keepin' it local" band, but they're very fucking good and worth a listen or two)! I can't wrap my mind around it.

But saying that, I agree with you. I know they want to reach out to a newere and younger audience, but there are at least five bands I could think of off the top of my head that would have been a better fit for an opening act. Like it or not, the majority of their fanbase here in the States are people in their 30s (like me) and 40s, who were there when Beast on the Road made Maiden practically a household name, with thanks to Judas Priest for giving them the chance.

Exactly. I saw a decent amount of kids my age when Maiden toured the States with Dio and Motörhead a few years ago. There are PLENTY of people in their teens and 20's who listen to older metal and like it, so grabbing an older band - or at least a BETTER new one - would've made much more sense. But they grabbed a shitty band that has little-to-no lasting power, and it pisses me off. Not every band on every bill has to be a knockout act, but when you're fucking Iron Maiden you should have some stones and do your best to tour with a band that you think might put on as good a show, or maybe even better, than yours.