TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cd213

Iron Maiden

If you like Helloween you should try Blind Guardian or Gamma Ray. Gamma Ray was founded by the lead guitarist of Helloween.

I've never been able to get into Nevermore. It goes Dreaming Neon Black on a reccomendation and I just can't listen to it, every song sounds the same. Too much slow chugging, not enough rocking out.

He hates the fans, and how the record company handles them.

He hasn't mentioned why he hates the actual band though.

I read Corey's post, and I saw:

Randy's vocals are awful (beyond the Chris Barnes so-bad-it's-good sense), the guitars are uninspired in every song I've heard by them save for "11th Hour" (which seems to be the favorite LoG song from the fans of the band I've met IRL), the drumming tame compared to what passes as mediocrity in most death metal bands, and I can't even hear the bass because the production is so nu-metally/rap-oriented where the mid on the bass is all the way down it's embarassing.

So, what was it again that you didn't understand?

Thanks for C&P'ing so I didn't have to, Coat.

baron, Lamb of God's music is pure nu-metal dreck sugar-coated to appeal to the growing mass of teenage "real" metal fans. They're Trivium without the talent or acknowledgement of the old-school. I dislike Trivium to a great degree, but I can enjoy their worst song more than I can Lamb of God's best song. The songwriting is all the same for LoG, and there's no appeal in it to me. There's no real technical precision, the songs either sound like - again - some Coal Chamber song with a guitar solo over it or like some other nu-metal band that has either broken up or faded into complete obscurity, and Randy Blythe's vocals are agonizing in their awfulness.

randomguy: Nevermore is a "traditional" metal band in the sense that they put a lot of slower songs on their albums too, especially Dreaming Neon Black. For some heavier shit, check out Dead Heart in a Dead World (though, to be fair, each song sounds incredibly similar) and their latest, This Godless Endeavour. If those can't get you into Nevermore, then nothing will.

So...anybody pick up the new Deicide? The tracks I've heard off of it have been pretty good, with your standard death metal stuff and then some deliciously contrasting, almost power-y solo's courtesy of one of the guys from Iced Earth. His names escapes me right now. Rick something or other?

Corey, why the hate for Trivium? They, along with Mastodon are closest things to to true metal in today's mainstream, they have that "old school" feel to them.

1. They're egotistical pricks. They were the only band at the SotU tour this past summer charging for autographs. The ONLY band.

2. What they play now is a watered-down version of old-school thrash/speed metal. Matt's voice is awful, be it singing or screaming.

3. The bulk of Ascendancy is your generic whiney fashioncore, with only a few standout tracks (which, surprisingly, were their first two singles: "Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr" and "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation").

Mastodon is amazing. NEVER compare Trivium to Mastodon, dude. That's heresy.

Any band that charges for autographs are assholes, no matter how "established" they are.

I remember at Ozzfest that you had to buy a "special edition" CD in order to meet and get an autograph from Zakk Wylde and BLS. I kind of understand why, because the line to get with Zakk would be practically endless, but there should have been a better way to do it.

No, he really is. He's not on the level of, say, SRV or Petrucci, but I'd say he could hold his own with Akerfeldt and Satriani. Songwriting he sticks to his guns and writes simple, catchy songs, but his solo's are actually works of art.

If you like Helloween you should try Blind Guardian or Gamma Ray. Gamma Ray was founded by the lead guitarist of Helloween.

I've never been able to get into Nevermore. It goes Dreaming Neon Black on a reccomendation and I just can't listen to it, every song sounds the same. Too much slow chugging, not enough rocking out.

I'm a big BG fan. I haven't picked up the new album as of yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. Next time I get the chance to I'm going to get it.

Gamma Ray I haven't heard yet, but I have heard of them.

I also can't wait for the new Sonata Arctica album. Should be coming out soon.

Know who I had the chance to listen to the other day that I really couldn't say many positive things about? Nightwish. They're almost good, maybe one step above Evanescense and two steps below pre-Comalies Lacuna Coil...but not a lot to sink one's teeth into. I didn't mind the riffs and the singing was decent, but it lacks that punch that you need to be a memorable band. That...and the main riff to Evanescense's "Tourniquet" knocks the shit out of every riff in every Nightwish song I've heard.

Nightwish makes me wonder; why the shit don't more power metal bands have female vocalists? Besides the fact that their vocals could work very well, if it was a really hot chick, they'd have all the power metal geeks (like me) drooling over her.

Also Randomguy, thanks for tossing out Gamma Ray's name. I meant to buy some of their stuff a little while ago, but forgot about them. But now I have remembered.

Nightwish makes me wonder; why the shit don't more power metal bands have female vocalists? Besides the fact that their vocals could work very well, if it was a really hot chick, they'd have all the power metal geeks (like me) drooling over her.

Just watch whatever music television station you prefer. Heavy makeup and costumes creating false beauty and pop music. Christina Aguilera and Nightwish are all the same. Embrace illusion.

I don't prefer any music TV stations. None of the like, 3 I get play anything good.

Also, if dressing in costumes creates pop music, doesn't that make a lot of black metal bands pop? Or are ammobelts and corpsepaint just what the average joe wears in Europe?

Besides, I base my tastes on music, not look. I just think, from the band's perspective, it would make sense. But no matter how hot this hypothetical woman is, I wouldn't listen to a band if I thought they sucked.

You've misread what I've slightly mis-typed on that point. "Heavy makeup and costumes creating false beauty in the pop artists" maybe?

Also, if dressing in costumes creates pop music, doesn't that make a lot of black metal bands pop? Or are ammobelts and corpsepaint just what the average joe wears in Europe?

Red Herring.

And don't be so silly. Really now, haven't I taught you anything!?

Laz, I haven't forgotten about you amidst all my trolling here. Explain to me why those guitarist you mentioned along with Zakk Wylde are great. And none of them "Fucken Rock!", so that is out the window as an option ;)

I believe we were at the point where I was calling you on trying to derail my train of thought with fallacious arguement. I think that I may have been offline for just long enough for me to forget how to messageboard, and for y'all to forget what a misery I can be to chat music with :)

The new Maiden album is suprisingly good, by the by.

No, he really is. He's not on the level of, say, SRV or Petrucci, but I'd say he could hold his own with Akerfeldt and Satriani. Songwriting he sticks to his guns and writes simple, catchy songs, but his solo's are actually works of art.

I was with you right up until you compared Zakk with Satriani. I haven't heard any of Akerfeldt's work, so I will refrain from commentary.

I am going to remain objective about it, but any guitarist can do what Zakk does if they practiced enough. He is a straight-up rock guitarist, a product of the late 80s when he burst onto the scene. But he isn't even close to Satriani. He wasn't very innovative for his time, like Satriani was in the mid 80s and no one knew about him, either until at least 1987. Satch gained his following with less radio airplay than Metallica or Maiden in their heyday. Zakk does not measure up in any way from a technical standpoint. Zakk simply has a crushing style of play that melded perfectly with Ozzy back in 1988 when No Rest for the Wicked came out. Songwriting, at the most I would call it even, just because their approaches to songs are different.

Solo wise, it isn't even close. I would call Satch's solos works of art, because they not only follow the basic elements of the song and what he is trying to portray, but he also takes that concept and goes to another plane with it. Ap perfect example of this is his live rendition of Memories on the Dreaming #11 EP. The album version of the song is pretty good, but its almost a totally different song on the EP.

Zakk stays within his element and doesn't take that step away that he should, or at least not as far as he should. The most experimental I have ever heard Zakk get with a song is Road to Nowhere, where his southern rock influences came to the forefront.

I like both players a lot, but I had to say something about that contrast you made, Corey.

I don't prefer any music TV stations. None of the like, 3 I get play anything good.

Besides, I base my tastes on music, not look. I just think, from the band's perspective, it would make sense. But no matter how hot this hypothetical woman is, I wouldn't listen to a band if I thought they sucked.

Amen to that. I was drawn to Evanescence because Amy can sing her hot little ASS off. Combine that with excellent music that is just that one-half to one-quarter step behind her vocals in the mix, and its just perfect. When I actually saw how beautiful she was (especially when the goth in her is toned down a little and her natural beauty shines through), that just did it for me. The first time I heard them was when I was watching Daredevil in the movie theater (and I think that was the bright spot of that entire night) and I was like, wow.

I saw the video for Lacuna Coil's new DM cover (as least I think that was what it was), and I wasn't as impressed. They do it pretty good, but Evanescence does it a little bit better.

Zakk is no where near the talent skill as Vai or Satrianni. You can't even compair the styles on the guitar.

Zakk is probably the best guitarist for the type of style he plays, but no where near the skill to Satch, Vai or Petrucci.

Tack: I don't really think it was fallacious; you said (though you later claimed that's not what you meant) that heavy makeup and costumes create pop music. Really, it should've been expected.

But don't worry, I didn't forget what a misery you can be.