TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cd213

Iron Maiden

This album is tremendous. Not nearly as good as Dance of Death IMO, but still very epic. Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg is earth-shatteringly awesome.

This is the first album I've actually bought, of any kind, since Dance of Death. Oh and the DVD that comes with it was worth it too--a couple of music videos and a half-decent documentary.

Every song is the same. Every song is trying to be an epic and have this slow intro and the over the top chorus. Its very bland, especially for Maiden standards.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

THEN it's settled.

Now why can't all smart marks settle arguments so easily.

So yeah. Gave the album a few listens since picking it up...2 weeks ago? Yeah...overhyped to the fucking max. I'm with redbaron in the sense that every song seems to try to be an epic with the slow beginning and huge chorus. I'm not feeling it at all. It's still good, but better than Brave New World? Y'all are on fucking crack if you think it TOUCHES Brave New World.

lol....

I dunno if I could choose one. Tossup between Number of the Beast and Dance of Death, for me.

I'd say for an intro, get one of the many "best of's," either Best of the Beast or Edward The Great (leaning towards the latter due to the inclusion of some different material). For full albums, get Brave New World and then one of the three redbaron suggested. You really can't go wrong with Number of the Beast or Piece of Mind, easily their best albums.

I need to buy an Iron Maiden album. Which one should I get?

If you never bought a Maiden album before I would say start out with one of the many Best of Albums. It's a good starting point and then work from there. That's what I do many times.

I started off with BOTB myself. Good sampling across the board.

Can't go wrong with any of the "classic era" albums (The Number of the Beast , Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son) and Dance of Death is also a worthwhile pursuit.

My first Maiden album was Number of the Beast, then Powerslave. I recommend not getting Powerslave until later, easily one of the weakest of the classic era.

If Bruce's voice is too much for you, you should get the Self Titled album. D'Ianno has an awesome rough voice and gives the band more of a raw sound.

If Bruce's voice is too much for you, you should get the Self Titled album. D'Ianno has an awesome rough voice and gives the band more of a raw sound.

"Phantom of the Opera" is one of my very favorite Maiden songs.

For an 'intro to Maiden' I'd definately go with Edward the Great. It's lacking some stuff (what greatest hits album isn't) but it's incrediably full. However, I would have preferred a couple D'Ianno tunes on it rather than the Blaze ones that made it on.

Nah, I love Dickinson's vocals. He's not quite Dio but he's got the operatic high-pitched wailing schtick down pat. But I'll check out some of the Di'Anno stuff as well.

I love Di'Anno Maiden. Much more Raw and punkish sound. I don't think Bruce could pull off a song like Wrathchild.

The first disk is quite good, with Charlotte the Harlotte and Phantom of the Opera as standouts. Killers is also good although the second half is weaker than the first.

Wow, I don't think "Number of the Beast." is nearly as good as "Piece of Mind" or "Powerslave." It has classics like "Hallowed Be Thy Name," "The Prisioner," and the two popular ones but there's a ton of filler with stuff like "22 Acacia Avenue" being just plain cringe inducing. "Children of the Damned" would have been great if it wasn't for such an oddly bad performance from Bruce.

While "Powerslave" and "Piece of Mind" both have very strong first halfs before losing momentum near the end. Love the new album by the way but it is an exhausting listen. "For the Greater Good of God" and the opener are my favorites.

Nah, I love Dickinson's vocals. He's not quite Dio but he's got the operatic high-pitched wailing schtick down pat. But I'll check out some of the Di'Anno stuff as well.

Dio sucks, always has and always will. Never disrespect Bruce by comparing him to Dio. NEVER. Dio's only contribution to music was popularizing the horns. That's it. A few catchy tunes, but the little elf makes me shudder in his hilarity.

Dio does, however, have a fantastic vocal range. Not on par with Dickensen, Halford or Barlow. But it's up there.

Dio sucks? WTF. Dio is awesome. One thing about Dio he can cover a much wider range of material than Bruce can. I don't mean physically, I mean he can just pull off a wide range of songs stylistically.

Imagine Bruce singing LA Connection or Do You Close Your Eyes? That would be hilariously awful.

Also Dio is much better than Bruce at not sounding cheesy. Dio and Bruce have both sung some pretty cheeseball lyrics but Dio pulls that off a lot better than something like Bring Your Daughter... which is just cringe-inducing and silly.

Dio's "only contribution" to music was kicking ass in Dio, Rainbow, and Sabbath, with Rainbow being one of the most under-appreciated bands of all time.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've done a total 180 on Dio. I love Dio now. Not Dio Sabbath. Solo Dio.

AMLOAD is probably the best out of the new era to date. I love BNW and DOD for different reasons, but it seemed to me on BNW that they tried to do a dual guitar sound with three guitars, and each other's space was not clearly defined yet. They got a little better with DOD, and AMOLAD is about two or three steps in the right directions. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg is an excellent song. Perfect cadence, and the guitars are much more guttural. I wish to God that they would more fully explore the triple guitar attack, but I guess it might not be Maiden when they were done. For me, they should just show Janick the door and go back to their most successful lineup.

As for beginning Maiden albums, I will always say Powerslave, but I am biased because it was that album that got me into metal at 16, and one of the tracks on that album is what got me to pick up a guitar at 19. But you cannot go wrong with everything from Killers up to Fear of the Dark. the first album is good, but compared to the production value even in their next album, Killers, it can be tough to listen to at times.

And the synth line in (Chicken) Dance of Death is what puts the song over the top for me, though it sounds better on Rock in Rio.

Dio is a metal legend, even though I only own three songs by him and that's it.