TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. S£im Citrus

Question about wireless

I'm intrigued by the prospect of wireless internet, and I see a lot of my co-workers with these cell phones that they can use to access the internet... But, here's the thing: I don't actually want a cell phone, I just want to be able to subscribe to a wireless service so that I can get wireless internet on the go from, like a PDA, or maybe even a laptop, the same way these guys get it from their cell phones.

Is there any (major) wireless company that provides a service like that, and would any of you know if it's even a viable option?

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/wifi.htm

Get a PDA with WiFi. The only issue would be if you don't have any hotspots around where you are.

Mobile data services (internet whereever) are expensive and you pay for data transmission, not a flat fee per month.

If you're using a PDA, you're better off getting a nice one with WiFi built-in and spending the extra cash there.

Well, if Verizon offers it, I'll probably end up getting it through them... Would something like that work with a laptop, or would it have to be with something portable like a PDA... or, could it be both?

Well, I won't be doing any bandwidth-intensive stuff on it; I basically just want to be able to browse a few web pages on my lunch break, and maybe a little email/personal writing (which is why I'm leaning towards laptop over PDA). Anything major can wait until I get home.

I might try to stream some music, but that'd definitely be as BW-intensive as I'd get.

If you have a laptop you can get a pcmia card from any major wireless phone distributer. I'm not sure if money is an issue for you, but they usually run in the 60-100 dollar range(a month). The actually price of the hardware also vary's from 0-300 dollars a month. These will work anywhere in the country that you can access that company's cell phone network

If you have a laptop you can get a pcmia card from any major wireless phone distributer. I'm not sure if money is an issue for you, but they usually run in the 60-100 dollar range(a month). The actually price of the hardware also vary's from 0-300 dollars a month. These will work anywhere in the country that you can access that company's cell phone network

Actually the card is about $80.